Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Ferguson, Saint Louis, Missouri
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Ferguson, Saint Louis, Missouri
Aubrey Simone
Whelp
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Ferguson, Saint Louis, Missouri 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 11
I'm not exactly sure if this is the place to do this, and I know that this website isn't necessarily focused around real-world topics, especially sensitive ones, but.

I live in St. Louis, (probably less than) ten minutes away from the city of Ferguson. As I listen to the announcement that Darren Wilson will not be tried for the shooting of Mike Brown, I wonder - what does this mean for me? I'm female, yes, but I'm also African-American, and I do want to have children one day, a son especially, because little boys have always made my heart melt, but I wonder.

The question, when I think of it logically, makes no sense to me. I reassure myself that I won't raise my son to be the one to antagonize the police (and then I remember that sometimes, antagonism isn't necessary - that just the color of his skin will be enough of an offense for some people); that I'll teach him the correct way to deal with racism (because while it's taken a back seat, it isn't dead, perhaps playing possum, but not dead); that I'll always do my best to protect him from the world (but he'll be his own person, he'll make his own decisions, and I can't protect him from those).

It's a hard thing, thinking about it. It's a hard thing, wondering if the faith I have in humanity can hold up until the time when I bring my own little black boy into the world, whenever that may be. It's a hard thing.

Please, if you could, pray for my city. Pray for real, lasting change; for not just tolerance, but true understanding. Just pray, especially right now - there's tear gas and flash bangs and armored trucks and too much anger in the streets. Please, just pray.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2014/11/24 22:41 By Aubrey Simone.

\"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that mind don\'t matter and those that matter don\'t mind.\" - Dr. Seuss

~Aubrey Simone~
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Ferguson, Saint Louis, Missouri 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 277
I deeply sympathize with the people of Ferguson, the St. Louis area, and those around the country who are stunned by this outcome.

I wish to make it clear, though, that we will not be discussing this topic in an antagonistic fashion. If you wish to respond to Aubrey Simone, please do so respectfully. This is a very sensitive topic for many, myself included, and I will shut this thread down if we can't accept each other's feelings on it politely and peacefully.

That said, Aubrey Simone, I also dream of a day when, as Dr. King said, all men are judged by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin. I am still hopeful that I will see it happen in my lifetime.

My thoughts and wishes for peace and safety go out to those affected by this verdict.

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

Aubrey Simone
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Ferguson, Saint Louis, Missouri 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 11
WiccanMethuselah wrote:
I deeply sympathize with the people of Ferguson, the St. Louis area, and those around the country who are stunned by this outcome.

I wish to make it clear, though, that we will not be discussing this topic in an antagonistic fashion. If you wish to respond to Aubrey Simone, please do so respectfully. This is a very sensitive topic for many, myself included, and I will shut this thread down if we can't accept each other's feelings on it politely and peacefully.

That said, Aubrey Simone, I also dream of a day when, as Dr. King said, all men are judged by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin. I am still hopeful that I will see it happen in my lifetime.

My thoughts and wishes for peace and safety go out to those affected by this verdict.

~~Wiccan~~

Thank you, Wiccan. Honestly, I didn't really expect many replies, if I got any at all, because this is an extremely sensitive topic no matter whether you agree with the jury's decision or not, and it's hard to talk about things that mean something to you, because you inevitably feel strongly about those things.

I'm almost positive that most people would agree that the violence and looting and setting things on fire is definitely unnecessary, though. All of this chaos isn't helping anything at all, and while I understand the thought that peaceful protest only does so much and sometimes there needs to be something shocking to call attention to an issue, the whole world is already watching - peaceful would have been much better. If only the few rotten apples believed the same, huh?

Logged Logged

\"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that mind don\'t matter and those that matter don\'t mind.\" - Dr. Seuss

~Aubrey Simone~
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Ferguson, Saint Louis, Missouri 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 277
Aubrey Simone wrote:

Thank you, Wiccan. Honestly, I didn't really expect many replies, if I got any at all, because this is an extremely sensitive topic no matter whether you agree with the jury's decision or not, and it's hard to talk about things that mean something to you, because you inevitably feel strongly about those things.

I'm almost positive that most people would agree that the violence and looting and setting things on fire is definitely unnecessary, though. All of this chaos isn't helping anything at all, and while I understand the thought that peaceful protest only does so much and sometimes there needs to be something shocking to call attention to an issue, the whole world is already watching - peaceful would have been much better. If only the few rotten apples believed the same, huh?

I am deeply disappointed in the violence. I understand the impotent rage behind some of it, and the opportunism behind the rest, but that doesn't excuse it in the least. A truly peaceful protest without all the damage and looting would have been the best way to remember Michael Brown and honor his family's request. There are protests going on in other cities that are peaceful, but the media will focus on Ferguson and St. Louis area, without a doubt.

Please, stay safe and take heart - there are people that understand and want to change the way things are being done.

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

BlueHeavensAngel
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Ferguson, Saint Louis, Missouri 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 7
My thoughts and wish for peace and safety goes out to Ferguson, the St. Louis area, and beyond as well.

I too wish that the news stations wouldn't focus on the violence rather than the peaceful protests. Unfortunately, they've just been treating them as bombs waiting to explode at any minute. It's so upsetting to see the violence and looting. I hope for the safety of all those in the area.

There are truly those who wish for change and I hope well all see it. Stay safe.

Logged Logged

Rurouni Jasmine
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Ferguson, Saint Louis, Missouri 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 1
Positive thoughts and vibes to the people of Ferguson! Especially the protesters expressing their distress at the news. My heart is with them.

And, of course, positive thoughts and vibes to you, Aubrey! I know it's tough thinking about bringing a little Black child into this world. Every time there is news of yet another shot down by the police, I question whether I want to put them through the horrors this country and its people can bring to them before they've even left the womb.

Be safe! Take care of yourself in this emotionally taxing time.

Logged Logged
Moonlight Silk
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Ferguson, Saint Louis, Missouri 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 37
Miss Aubrey my prayers goes out to you and all who are affected by this situation. It is really sad that as human beings we are still so incapable of fully understanding each other. I too abhor violence and I trust that the demonstrations will come to a peaceful ending soon.

Logged Logged
Sarah C
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Ferguson, Saint Louis, Missouri 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 35
I was watching the announcement on local news in southern California and was disappointed when many of the news channels cut away from the explanation of the decision to cover the reaction. How are we to build understanding if we don't listen to the reasoning behind decisions?

I pray for the safety of everyone on the streets of Ferguson and other cities with protests around the country.

Logged Logged
kaoruhana
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Ferguson, Saint Louis, Missouri 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 109
I saw this earlier but was in class so didn't get to respond.
I didn't get to see much of the news coverage but know that I will be praying for the demonstrations (I'm not sure what word to use here) to end soon.

I have quite a few black male friends, and I can understand the feelings expressed by the demonstrators and you. I don't know what reply I can give to you to be honest. I just hope that more and more people of my generation, who are ready to try to talk about these issues (I say that because I have no idea what subject they could fall under- there's a few I can think of) will be able to create a more conscious society.

I'd also like to say Happy Thanksgiving. In spite of all this, perhaps, people can come together and talk peacefully as they celebrate this holiday.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2014/11/25 15:53 By kaoruhana. Reason: Sentence Edit
Walter205
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Ferguson, Saint Louis, Missouri 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 52
Having studied the history of warfare, I honestly expected an outbreak of violence no matter what decision was reached by the Grand Jury. Although the levels of destruction are about what I expected, I was pleasantly surprised to hear that no one has yet to die and I would hope that it stays that way, although I'm afraid that it will not.

It's easy to be intimidated by the amount of violence going on in the world and the media is largely to blame for this. Just know that for everything that goes bad and gets reported, there is something good going on and being glossed over.

Logged Logged

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.