Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Fanfiction on ereader?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom Favoured: 2
TOPIC: Fanfiction on ereader?
Rowzy
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Fanfiction on ereader? 11 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 0
Wasn't exactly sure where to put this but, I was wondering if there is a way to put fanfiction from here into epub format for a nook? There are downloaders that work with more common sites, which usually works fine since many fics are posted on multiple sites, but some aren't.

I can't read for very long on my computer without getting a headache, plus I like reading outside or between classes which is much easier to do on my nook than my laptop.

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
JeniNeji
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction on ereader? 11 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 21
I use Calibre to change to kindle format, but I am not sure if that one works. I think it does... You have to change it from doc to pdf and then to epub. G'luck.

Special thanks to that someone who taught me how to do this

Logged Logged

Rowzy
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction on ereader? 11 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 0
So you have to copy and paste each chapter into a word document? I am pretty sure Calibre would work for .doc to pdf to epub but that seems like a lot of work, especially for some of the fics with lots of chapter like drabble series.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2012/05/26 01:25 By rowzy.
JeniNeji
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
If you find an easier way, do tell me!

Logged Logged

Rowzy
Pup
graphgraph
I guess I will have to read off my laptop for now. There's no way I am copy-pasting over 400 chapters haha. Although I will definitely have to try that for fics with longer (and less) chapters.

Logged Logged
Erliane
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction on ereader? 11 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 1
You don't need to copy+paste. I did that for years too until I found www.flagfic.com. You can download the fanfiction from a url to EPUB, mobipocket (Kindle), HTML and PDF. It's very nice to not have to copy '400 chapters', indeed.

Dokuga isn't supported yet, but many of the big fanfiction sites are.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2012/05/26 03:25 By Erliane.
Rowzy
Pup
graphgraph
That's what I use for most fics, but I couldn't find what I'm reading right now anywhere else (Death Becomes Her by NicoRavenPen), which is why I decided to ask.

Logged Logged
Erliane
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction on ereader? 11 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 1
Well I don't think there's anything like that for Dokuga. Maybe if you're lucky there will be support soon (maybe if more people ask for it?)

Anyway, yeah, you'll just have to copy+paste it in a word/html/pdf document and convert that to EPUB. Easy. It's just like when you want to have a Livejournal story on your ereader.

I think there's even an online EPUB converter. It takes more time to do it like this but does the job too.

Logged Logged
Danyealle-sama
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction on ereader? 11 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 91
Calibre is what i use for my Kindle and you don't have to convert it to a PDF. I just use one of the downloaders and save it as an RTF (one of their download options) then transfer those files into Calibre then onto the Kindle that way. No need for the PDF step (it doesn't support DOC format though, the Kindle transfer anyway). This gentleman tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/CarlTs_Programs/ makes a downloader that DOES support Dokuga as well as many other sites, big and small, on the web. It's also one of the few that can be used for both mac and PC. Other downloaders do allow you to save in the proper format for both Nook and Kindle but they don't have a version to download off Dokuga.

Logged Logged

Fun fact: All writers are crazy, to some degree. There is a reason for it -- actually making it through a novel almost requires it. If you love to read, then you\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'re continually benefitting from other people\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s craziness.-From Cracked
JeniNeji
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Dany.. I have zero idea about how to use Carl's Program Also... it sort of disappeared from my computer :/ I installed it...and now I can't find it. I downloaded one story...but it saved it as multiple html pages ._. Now when I try to find it again, it's hiding pretty well.

Logged Logged

Danyealle-sama
Supporter
graphgraph
Try contacting him via the group (just a post to the group). He's updated several times lately and is darn good at helping everyone with problems, no matter how big or small, when it comes to his stuff. He's one of the really good ones with that. So, go ahead and post and see what he says. If nothing else, he can walk you through how to fix it. He's well aware many of us are techie challenged with things

Logged Logged

Fun fact: All writers are crazy, to some degree. There is a reason for it -- actually making it through a novel almost requires it. If you love to read, then you\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'re continually benefitting from other people\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s craziness.-From Cracked
JeniNeji
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
I just found this one Fanfiction Downloader and it worked with one story I tried. Also, it allows you to convert it to kindle and several others. I do think you need to have Calibre installed, though.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2012/05/26 09:42 By JeniNeji.

Danyealle-sama
Supporter
graphgraph
That's the one i use for most archives and it works well. Calibre is a great program (and is free) to transfer them over to the kindle or nook. So, it's kinda' win/win with that one other than it doesn't download from Dokuga

Logged Logged

Rowzy
Pup
graphgraph
I normally use flagfic.com to convert fanfiction to epub from other sites, which I prefer to Fanfiction Downloader because its all online. With the nook I don't have to use calibre with it either (I don't know if its the same with the kindle or not).

I'll have to look into Carl's Program and see if I can figure out how to get it and use it.

Logged Logged
Mitharus
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction on ereader? 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 53
Okay... so I just noticed this thread....

I was, at one point, contemplating putting in a little button, probably next to the print button, that would save the story in epub format.

The Author could set the flag in the story properties to control it; like the anonymous posts thing. Doesn't stop scraping the HTML and creating one that way, but would block the "easy" access to it.

I'd just need to re-dig up my links on the epub format (really, it's just a ZIP container and some XML files, but a specific layout... kinda like odt/docx ), and do some basic testing with a few stories to come up with some working CSS layout file.

I'll ponder it a bit more and see if I can come up with something sane.

-J

Logged Logged
Tessitura
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction on ereader? 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 4
Don't know if this question should be post here so forgive me if not. Lately I've been catching up on my reading on my nook color and I am finding I can not post. Any ideas?

Logged Logged
Nyx
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction on ereader? 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
Calibre has a plugin called FanFictionDownLoader. It's by the website fanfictionloader.appspot.com/. You can see the news at the site.

I got it yesterday. It can download and convert fanfics to epub, mobi, html, and txt. Supports Dokuga.

It does an okay job. I've only converted fics to txt though. Other formats probably look better.

Logged Logged

jackwarner
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction on ereader? 11 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
You only need a software for converting your doc file to pdf file and over the internet there are various software for the same. Then I think your work has done. Good luck.

e publishing software

Logged Logged
Morrigan
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction on ereader? 11 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 1
Just want to add that Dokuga is supported on the FanFictionDownLoader (FFDL) on Calibre. I was the one to actually suggest the site and it was added in I think the same day. Sorry that I haven't told anyone else on the forums about this, but I've only just become active on them (haven't even read any posts previously).

Anyway, you'll want to either have a Google account to use the web-based version (http://fanfictiondownloader.appspot.com/) or if you have Calibre, you'll want the FFDL plug-in (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163261), the latest version if possible.

Anyway, glad to help out.

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.