Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Sesshoumaru- power hungry?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Sesshoumaru- power hungry?
Darrakk
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Sesshoumaru- power hungry? 13 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 1
Sesshoumaru is repeatedly said to desire power to further his quest for supreme conquest, yet he is not shown to be gathering power through any means used by other youkai shown through the series. He did not want anything to do with the Shikon Jewel, besides that brief stint with the human arm, and then only as a means to use the Tessaiga. He is not shown to steal power from other youkai, through any means. He is not shown to steal holy power from priests and priestesses, as several youkai throughout the series attempt and/or succeed. Sesshoumaru is not shown to be training in particular, like Inuyasha does at one or two points, presumably because he has trained as far as he could at the time.

The only 'power' Sesshoumaru is shown trying to get is the weapon, Tessaiga. Made from his father's fang, by rights Sesshoumaru has a claim as first born son. So he might not view taking it as theft. He never attempts stealth or subterfuge in order to attain it, he always makes an obvious arrival, declares his intent, and toys with Inuyasha and battles with him. It appears to me that he is attempting to 'win' it almost. To the victor goes the spoils etc.

Also, the sword is not power. It is a tool, an instrument through which to channel power and skill. It would allow Sesshoumaru to have a means through which to channel his power, something he apparently is incapable of doing naturally to much effect. Many people (myself included) take Sesshoumaru's light/acid/youki/jyaki whip thingy to be canon, though it is not found in the manga.

In the manga, Sesshoumaru is incredibly powerful, yet lacking any non-physical means of harnessing it (besides possibly spraying his acid from his claws, though this too may be purely physical), unlike most other youkai capable of a humanoid form, that we are shown, anyway.

Sesshoumaru went through multiple arms, using them as temporary replacements. They were unable to cope with his power being channelled through them and quickly burnt out. Perhaps this is the case with any weapons he has tried? It was certainly the case with Tokijin. Even though it was made from fangs strong enough to break Tessaiga, it was unable to meet the demands he placed upon it. In the third movie, Sesshoumaru comments on the limits of the sword, implying he could channel more through a better conduit.

I believe Sesshoumaru wishes to increase his own power along with his mastery of it, through 'honourable' means. He has plenty of power, only seeming to be lacking effective means of releasing it.

Any thoughts?

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
ladybattousai
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:Sesshoumaru- power hungry? 13 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: -666
Have you not read the end of the manga when he creates his final sword that does exactly what you're hoping for?

Logged Logged

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Darrakk
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Sesshoumaru- power hungry? 13 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 1
Yes. Oops I probably should have mentioned that...

I meant pre Bakusaiga, seeing how most fics are set there.

I guess I was wanting a discussion of his motivations, and possible other methods of channelling/gaining power he or others might attempt.

Logged Logged
Avadrea
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Sesshoumaru- power hungry? 13 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 27
There is the easy answer of his sense of honor. The power only coming from him or his sire. But there is another possiablity. Sesshoumaru might be smart enough to know borrowed or stolen powers are unreliable. You can only trust in your own abilities not those taken from another. IT would be a weakness to use something that wasn't yours.

I like to go with the thought that Sesshy wants TRUE power not the illusion of stolen power. To be stronger not just to take what is strong.

Also as writer I recognize the tool that Rumiko Takahashi is using in Sesshoumaru. He is the contrast to Naraku. Naraku is thief with no honor who steals all his powers. Sesshoumaru is the classic wandering samurai with finely honed skill and seeking the secret to unleashing his own potential. They are both enemies of Inuyasha, both are driven, both are heartless (in the beginning before the Rin factor). But one is redeemable and one is not.

Logged Logged

Langus
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Sesshoumaru- power hungry? 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 6
The way I see it, Sesshomaru is an elitist snob.

He regards other demons in both the manga and the anime as inferior to himself and his bloodline. He would have no reason to steal power from a creature he thought of as inferior.

He wanted the Tetsusaiga to surpass his father as he saw it was his right to do. He felt the sword was owed to him as his inheritance and thus rightfully belonged to him.

The shikon jewel was created by humans from the souls of inferior demons and a human miko. He wouldn't want it based on the source alone, but in my estimation he also didn't NEED the shikon jewel's power. He was powerful enough in his own right. To accept its power would be to accept that he needed its help which would have been bruising to his ego.

Sesshomaru's idea of growth and power, as shown in the series, is based entirely around battle. He increases his power by defeating new enemies and developing the abilities of his swords. With each battle won he gained experience and knowledge. The interesting flip side to it all being that what he truly needed to become powerful was growth of character, not physical strength. That was what he failed to realize until the end of the series when he finally surpassed his father with the Bakusaiga.

Logged Logged

[img] http://fc65.deviantart.com/fs40/f/2009/031/4/4/441a265f509fa2446485eec83c5450ec.jpg [/img]
jgem
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Sesshoumaru- power hungry? 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 8
Langus, I love what you wrote because that is how I see the developement of Sesshoumaru's character. Only you wrote it out much better than I could

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.