Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Symbolism in Inuyasha
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Symbolism in Inuyasha
Sophie
Whelp
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Symbolism in Inuyasha 13 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 9
I did some research for my classes about Japanese color symbolism and (at least in my opinion) few meanings could be used in description of Inuyasha's character. Here's what I found:

Gold (Sessh eyes)- gold, kin, can evoke the sensation of looking upon waving fields of ripened rice stalks. Gold is also associated with royalty.

Orange (for Shippou's hair or Rin's yukata)- Orange can represent energy, balance, warmth, enthusiasm, flamboyant, and demanding of attention

Blue (if we pretend that originally Kagome's eyes were blue)- Blue associated with girls who have pure qualities. In addition, it is the color of water and the sea, with all the symbolic for that element - that is, blue usually indicates femininity, life, purity, etc., just as water does. Blue can also symbolize peace, calm, stability, security, loyalty

White (I think it suits both Kagome and Sessh)- White is a sacred and pure color. It's the color of angles and gods, as the color reflects that which is sacred and pure. White can also represent reverence, purity, simplicity, peach, humility, youth, winter, snow, good, cold.

Also I read somewhere that pink represents a man who fell in love with a woman and Inuyasha's robe was pink at first, at least in the manga.

Do you think that Rumiko used that colors for purpose or I'm just reading too much into this?
Maybe you know some other symbols that are hidden in Inuyasha?

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Coenraad
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Symbolism in Inuyasha 13 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 1
Well looking at the things you've named I think you are reading into it a little too much. If anything Color Symbolism is more associated with clothing then just color on anything in general. in days long since passed, the color of clothing someone wore would easily denote ones status/standing/rank in civilization.

However you could easily drag Hanakotoba (the Japanese language of flowers) into the mix as well. Depending on how traditionally minded the artist is, most anime's/manga out there seem to have something to do with either or both in one way or another.

*EDIT*
Some Links for ya.

Traditional Colors of Japan: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_colors_of_Japan
Hanakotoba: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanakotoba

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/01/08 20:22 By Coenraad.
ladybattousai
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:Symbolism in Inuyasha 13 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: -666
I hesitate to believe that color symbolism played a huge part in the manga, because as an artist, I often choose colors that I simply like the best. Not to mention that when it comes to symbolism like that, it's so easy to interpret it in a variety of ways. It just depends on the person.

One point would be Inuyasha's red clothes. They're made out of firerat fur, so what other color would they be with a name like that? As for gold eyes, it's a color that's commonly used for supernatural creatures, especially for those of the canine variety. Give them black slits for pupils, and wow, you have something that is very fundamentally a demon.

As for Shippo's hair color, he's a fox and the archetype for a fox is well, orange.

Logged Logged

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Coenraad
Pup
graphgraph
Its a shame that we cant Rumiko in person. I hate having to speculate and then find clear proof. God knows there is always a contradiction showing somewhere for whatever the reason may be.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/01/08 20:30 By Coenraad.
Sophie
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Symbolism in Inuyasha 13 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 9
Kay, seems my silly over-analyzing habit is back
Just ignore me!

Logged Logged
Coenraad
Pup
graphgraph
Makes for interesting conversation though.

Logged Logged
Lonelylark
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Symbolism in Inuyasha 13 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 5
I don't think it's silly at all. Although it's incorrect to assert that anything is a symbol for anything else without the author's confirmation, I believe that considering the possible symbolism of color in things such as manga and anime is important. Although someartists do not give special assignations of color to details of their works, many more do. And, given that it was mentioned that in the past the color of clothing was an important denotation of social station, and that Inuyasha is set roughly 500 years in the past (such a time where social rank was not only important but quite enforced), it's logical to consider that color symbolism may have been a factor that the artist would have taken into account.

As for the canine bit, Kouga is also a demon of a canine breed, and his eyes are blue.

Logged Logged

AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Symbolism in Inuyasha 13 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 23
I never thought of it-and don't think the author really did it, but some things mentioned do match the personality of some of the characters, I find the information you shared to be very interesting, so thank you for sharing C:

Logged Logged
ladybattousai
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Lonelylark wrote:
I don't think it's silly at all. Although it's incorrect to assert that anything is a symbol for anything else without the author's confirmation, I believe that considering the possible symbolism of color in things such as manga and anime is important. Although someartists do not give special assignations of color to details of their works, many more do. And, given that it was mentioned that in the past the color of clothing was an important denotation of social station, and that Inuyasha is set roughly 500 years in the past (such a time where social rank was not only important but quite enforced), it's logical to consider that color symbolism may have been a factor that the artist would have taken into account.

As for the canine bit, Kouga is also a demon of a canine breed, and his eyes are blue.

Thanks, lonelylark. Want to take any more jabs?

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/01/08 22:57 By ladybattousai. Reason: any more is two words!

Rurouni Jasmine
Pup
graphgraph
As art and literature are meant to entertain, they are also meant to be up to interpretation. Whether it be true or not, it's an interesting and different way to look at the anime/manga. Could just be that I like to wonder about authorial intention and things of that sort. I like!

Logged Logged
Lonelylark
Pup
graphgraph
ladybattousai wrote:

Thanks, lonelylark. Want to take any more jabs?

ladybattousai,

I'm sorry if my commentary somehow offended you, but it wasn't meant as a personal offense or attack in any way. I was pointing out my personal opinions, and just commenting on what you said about canine demons. While what you said may have some basis of truth, it's not the only answer out there.

Logged Logged

ladybattousai
Beat Cop
graphgraph
I'm not really offended, just amused that a fair portion of your comment was spent debunking mine. The canine bit wasn't the only line.

And while I don't mind people having different opinions than my own and expressing them, I thought what you said had a few "jabby" bits and I decided in fun to point it out. Please don't be mad.

Logged Logged

Lonelylark
Pup
graphgraph
*wipes sweat*

It's good to hear. I think this has to do a lot with the miscommunication that often happens with text without facial or vocal accompaniment. Looking back, I can see how maybe the italics could come off as finger-pointing, but I usually use them as vocal inflection, and were not at all meant that way. Even though it was a bit debunking, I was basing it more off of my knowledge of the importance of color in literature -- being an English major makes me think about these things even when I'm out of class I guess

I'm glad this is all sorted out. I really do admire your work, and I would have hated to have been at odds about this. I truly have found seldom stories that I love more than Seven Feudal Fairy Tales.

Logged Logged

ladybattousai
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Lonelylark wrote:
*wipes sweat*

It's good to hear. I think this has to do a lot with the miscommunication that often happens with text without facial or vocal accompaniment. Looking back, I can see how maybe the italics could come off as finger-pointing, but I usually use them as vocal inflection, and were not at all meant that way. Even though it was a bit debunking, I was basing it more off of my knowledge of the importance of color in literature -- being an English major makes me think about these things even when I'm out of class I guess

I'm glad this is all sorted out. I really do admire your work, and I would have hated to have been at odds about this. I truly have found seldom stories that I love more than Seven Feudal Fairy Tales.

Artwork in most senses is a visual medium. Everything needs a color. So interpreting the symbolism behind it can become a matter of what it means to you rather than what it means to the artist. Granted there are times when an artist uses color for symbolism (giving a character with a fiery temper red hair), but in my experience, the imagery itself is more commonly used as symbolism. Now others might use color more liberally as symbolic, but again, everything needs a color even if it's blank.

In writing, color is more useful as symbolism. You're not creating a specific image in someone's mind, but giving them just enough information and letting their imaginations fill in the rest. Therefore almost anything mentioned must have some meaning otherwise it wasn't worth mentioning. Let their imaginations take care of it.

And there's a difference between symbolism and historical accuracy. If wearing white is representative of nobility, then Sesshoumaru ought to wear white. Is it symbolic? I can't say it is. Is it symbolic for a king to wear a crown? Sesshoumaru is nobility, so he wears white.

Perhaps I'm missing the point about symbolism. I use it. It helps weave a story together. But I think even it is a matter of interpretation.

As for the miscommunication, I think we're not alone in that. It happens to everyone. Besides, I like a good debate so long as I'm sure it's in good fun.

(And I love anyone who loves my story )

Logged Logged

Coenraad
Pup
graphgraph
I don't think that everything need an underlying meaning. Sure the language of Flowers and Color is fun to throw in left and right at times, but some things are often more fun if the reason is 'just cause'. Moreover, all our enjoyment of the Sesshomaru and Kagome pairing is just that; 'just cause'. If held to the real standards of the Inuyasha Universe, then the Sess/Kag Plane wouldn't even leave the ground, let alone reach take-off speed.

In the end though; who cares about reasons? we have fun with it and that is what matters me thinks.

Logged Logged
Lonelylark
Pup
graphgraph
Hahah! This is true. Though I don't ever discount the meaning of certain things in literature or art (their possible symbolic presence), I've always been annoyed by certain of my Lit classes where some teachers and professors try to milk a symbol out of every line of a story. As a writer myself, I feel that the process of creating metaphors and symbols in a story are not always intentional. Well...let's not say intentional. I think subconscious might be a better term...Although authors (in literature at least) do use certain symbols and metaphors to get a point across, some metaphors are instinctual...And sometimes an apple is just an apple

Logged Logged

BlueHeavensAngel
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Symbolism in Inuyasha 13 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 7
Lonelylark wrote:
Hahah! This is true. Though I don't ever discount the meaning of certain things in literature or art (their possible symbolic presence), I've always been annoyed by certain of my Lit classes where some teachers and professors try to milk a symbol out of every line of a story. As a writer myself, I feel that the process of creating metaphors and symbols in a story are not always intentional. Well...let's not say intentional. I think subconscious might be a better term...Although authors (in literature at least) do use certain symbols and metaphors to get a point across, some metaphors are instinctual...And sometimes an apple is just an apple

I can't tell you how much I agree with this. I'm and art major and I've thought this kind of thing all the time in some of my art history classes. I realize that often artists use symbolism in parts of their work, but sometimes the things my professors believe are symbolic just seem like things that maybe happened to turn up in the work and weren't necessarily and intentional thing, but still work for the piece. I know from experience that sometimes unintentional things can turn out to be good and maybe even importants elements to an art work.

Logged Logged

Akikazu
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Symbolism in Inuyasha 13 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
I saw this topic and my mind instantly went, three sacred treasures of Japan. They are a sword (Kusanagi), a mirror (Yata no Kagami), and a jewel (Yasakani no Magatama). The sword represents valor, the mirror wisdom, and the jewel benevolence.

The mirror and the jewel were involved with drawing Amaterasu out of her cave. However the sword was found by Susanoo in the tail of Yamata-no-Orochi. It was presented to Amaterasu who gave it to her descendents the Emperors. Later one of the Emperors found that the sword had magical properties that could control the wind.

I may be stretching for connections (the case for the mirror is the weakest) but to me I don't see how it is possible for there not to be connections.

Logged Logged
ladybattousai
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Akikazu wrote:
I saw this topic and my mind instantly went, three sacred treasures of Japan. They are a sword (Kusanagi), a mirror (Yata no Kagami), and a jewel (Yasakani no Magatama). The sword represents valor, the mirror wisdom, and the jewel benevolence.

The mirror and the jewel were involved with drawing Amaterasu out of her cave. However the sword was found by Susanoo in the tail of Yamata-no-Orochi. It was presented to Amaterasu who gave it to her descendents the Emperors. Later one of the Emperors found that the sword had magical properties that could control the wind.

I may be stretching for connections (the case for the mirror is the weakest) but to me I don't see how it is possible for there not to be connections.

Perhaps if Kagura had wielded a sword. I'm going off of my memory of Yuu Yuu Hakusho, which probably isn't a bastion of accuracy, but the gem held souls if I remember right. So feasibly if Kagura had had a sword and controlled wind, Kanna had her mirror and Naraku the jewel, then that would have been some interesting symbolism.

Logged Logged

knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Symbolism in Inuyasha 13 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 78
Lonelylark, to me Carl Jung was the most exciting thinker ever, but I enjoy symbolism and archetype in literature when it is hinted at, like a tantalizing trail through a forest, rather than the smog-choked freeway we encounter in literature classes. PS, I love your writing...

Logged Logged
Lonelylark
Pup
graphgraph
Awww Thanks...I'm trying to squeeze out the next chapter soon. It's in my mind...now to get it down on paper ^_^

Logged Logged

Akikazu
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Symbolism in Inuyasha 13 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
ladybattousai wrote:
Perhaps if Kagura had wielded a sword. I'm going off of my memory of Yuu Yuu Hakusho, which probably isn't a bastion of accuracy, but the gem held souls if I remember right. So feasibly if Kagura had had a sword and controlled wind, Kanna had her mirror and Naraku the jewel, then that would have been some interesting symbolism.

The wind attack helped to control a fire when the wielder was betrayed by a warlord. To me that sounds more like InuYasha's move and I was thinking the Jewel for Kagome. But yeah the mirror for Kanna, which is why I think that is the weak link.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/01/13 22:39 By akikazu.
War
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Symbolism in Inuyasha 13 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 2
Akikazu wrote:

If you think about it the Sounga Sword was not forged by the sword smith, Totosai so it could have been found in a tail of something and it had a wind attack "Dragon Twister" which takes the form of a gigantic purple tornado type thing. So maybe that could be it lol!

=#=War=#=

Logged Logged

~*~

I CLAIM \"SESSHOMARU\'S TOXIC SPRAY\" IN THE CLAIM GAME!

~*~
Broken am I, be as it may.
I see not the blood that flows in depth with my own.
I will defeat you with all the demons I call.
Darkness will reign and you will fall.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.