Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Japanese Martial Arts
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Japanese Martial Arts
InuYoukaiLiz
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Japanese Martial Arts 14 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 9
Reading this got me to wondering......is this the sytle of martial arts that Kikyo used? Because she would have to have concentrated when she shot her sacred arrow and I think I saw an episode where she shot the sacred aroow when she was on a horse. This ia a very interesting form of marital arts because it's exclusively for archery.

Kyudo
Kyudo is Japanese archery. It utilises a very long, asymmetric bow, and this
asymmetry makes accurate shooting very challenging. Unlike Western archery,
where the bowstring is held by three fingers, Kyudo-ka wear a deerskin gauntlet and
hook the bowstring with their thumb. A keiko-gi, obi, and hakama are required
uniform, and tabi are worn on the feet. The bow is a holy artefact in Japanese
religion, and can be seen at sumo tournaments being used as part of the ceremonial
rituals. Additionally, there is a popular and prestigious Kyudo tournament held at the
start of the year in Kyoto at Sanjusangendo Temple.
The shooting technique used in Kyudo was developed for ceremonial demonstrations
of prowess for the benefit of the Shogun, and as such are highly ritualised and
beautiful to watch. The most common procedure is to shoot 28m at a target 36cm
wide. But there are also a variety of other targets and a longer distance used in
competitions. Regardless of their personal bias, all archers hold the bow in their left
hand and pull the string with their right. (This writer has only ever seen one archer
shoot with the opposite hand, to the amazement - and outrage - of all and sundry.)
There are several different schools with relatively minor variations in technique, but
the most common is the Ogasawara-ryu. In the early stages of training, archers are
supposed to concentrate purely on their technique, disregarding the target entirely.
To that end, at some dojos they can spend their first year of training shooting only at
a straw target positioned two meters away. The theory is that once perfect form is
achieved, shooting accuracy will follow as a matter of course. Missing the target
implies an error in form; therefore, hitting the target is a way of measuring quality of
technique, rather than being the goal itself.
Like most of the other Japanese martial arts, there is a strong Zen component to
Kyudo, where the best results are achieved by emptying the mind, releasing all
thoughts of success or failure, and concentrating purely on form. This is
extraordinarily difficult to do, and a wonderful way to relieve stress and relax the
mind and body.
In addition, there is a type of Kyudo called yabusame, performed from horseback.
The rider gallops his or her horse down a 100m track, and shoots at three evenly
spaced targets. There is usually a time limit, so the rider must go as fast as possible.
The sport is based on the technique of samurai charging their horses through ranks
of spearmen, and trying to shoot the foot soldiers in the face, the only unarmoured
target available. There are yabusame venues where training and competitions are
held at Hakodate, Eniwa (near Sapporo) and Memuro (near Obihiro). The
tournaments are very colourful affairs, with the horses and riders dressed in colourful
traditional garb.

Logged Logged

PROUD Inupapa fangirl

"I wish for a heart. A heart of the man whom I'll never allow to forget me." (to Kagome) - Kikyo

"Go Naraku, gather the shards of the jewel, and once you found them all , then I will send you to hell." - Kikyo

I support Kikyo...got a problem with that?
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
InuYoukaiLiz
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Japanese Martial Arts 14 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 9
sorry for the double post I pressed the wrong button when I wanted to edit >.<

Logged Logged

PROUD Inupapa fangirl

"I wish for a heart. A heart of the man whom I'll never allow to forget me." (to Kagome) - Kikyo

"Go Naraku, gather the shards of the jewel, and once you found them all , then I will send you to hell." - Kikyo

Noacat
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Japanese Martial Arts 14 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 14
Judging from how good Kikyou is to her stance, I would say that she's been trained in Kyudo.

Logged Logged
InuYoukaiLiz
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Japanese Martial Arts 14 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 9
Hmm that's what I though based on the description of Kyudo and the fact that she's a master at archery but Kikyo was practicing archery at a young age; makes me wonder about Kagome though

Logged Logged

PROUD Inupapa fangirl

Noacat
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Japanese Martial Arts 14 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 14
Yeah... what the heck? I mean, we could go with the bad writing thing and say that she has some sort of latent memory of kyudo training because she's Kikyou's reincarnation. But that's just lame. Maybe Inuyasha gave her pointers??? Yeah, probably not so much.

Logged Logged
Amadeus
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Japanese Martial Arts 14 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 2
From kyudo.com:

The Feudal Period

In 1192 Minamoto no Yoritomo was granted the title of shogun, or military governor, and established stricter standards for his warriors. As part of that training, Ogasawara Nagakiyo, the founder of Ogasawara Ryu, was instructed to teach mounted archery in a more formal manner. It was during this time that the kyujutsu ryu, the schools of archery technique, came into their own. One of the most influential archers of the time was Heki Danjo Masatsugu, the founder of Heki Ryu, who lived from 1443 to 1502. He is credited with standardizing the training of kyujutsu which no doubt assured its continued growth and development, even into modern times. It was during the Feudal period that the construction of the Japanese bow reached its peak. By the late sixteenth century it was regarded as being near perfect in design. So much so, that the bamboo and wood laminate bows used in modern kyudo are nearly identical to those made four hundred years ago. As it turned out, the end of the sixteenth century also spelled the end of the bow's usefulness as a weapon of war when Oda Nobunaga, commanding conscripts armed with muskets, defeated the opposing force of kyujutsu archers in a major battle in 1575.

With the fact that kyudo has been in existance in one form or another since well before the Feudal Period but wasn't really unified into a distinct martial art till after Heki Danjo Masatsugu came around. Also Kyudo incorporates pretty much all forms of Japanese archery it's not far fetched to say that Kikyo practices it in one form or another. Although in the anime/manga they use more a western longbow designed bow instead of the more traditional Yumi. And also I don't remember Kikyo/Kagome using the proper technique of firing the bow with the thumb instead opting for the western three finger approach. But these points can all be countered with the fact of RT not really doing alot of research on the matter.

As far as Kagome learning how to shoot a bow. I believe atleast in the anime that she learned through trial and error and practice. Cause most of the time in the begining her hits where just pure luck.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/01/11 08:37 By Amadeus.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- Abraham Lincoln
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.