Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Kimono
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Kimono
S.A.M.
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Kimono 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 2
Why is it that every fic I read that refers to a kimono, refers to the embroidery on said kimono. Why don't they ever refer to died or painted kimono or any of the other numerous ways to design a kimono? And a lot of writers apply modern-western color motifs (sp?) and patterns to the kimono and their obi. Most kimono are either a solid color (such as black or blue) with embroidered designs, dyed or painted with a design (and, this might just be me but most dyed/painted kimonos are of a floral design), or just of a patterned silk.

Check this out for a list of kimono design techniques

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Noacat
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Kimono 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 14
I kind of love you for bringing this up. Research is so important when writing. It gives your story so much more credibility and authenticity when you take a moment to incorporate cultural details like the specific way a kimono is dyed. I mean, there are a variety of styles for the design itself, not to mention the decoration (embroidery, etc.) that's on it. And calling the garment a kimono is actually kind of vague. For example, Sesshoumaru wears a kosode -- a kimono specifically worn mostly by men.

And no, it is NOT a haori. Haori are what westerners would refer to as jackets to be worn over the kosode. It's also not tucked into the hakama as the kosode would be. It's worn loose, though it can be tied closed.

Whereas, when Kagome wears a kimono it would most likely be a furisode -- a kimono with long sleeves mostly worn by young, unmarried women on formal occasions. Furisode are also worn by geisha or maiko.

Now, if Kagome's mother were to wear a kimono, it'd likely be a tomesode. Tomesode are generally worn by married women on special occasions. They are distinguished from furiosde by their shorter sleeves and more austere decoration. The most formal tomesode have three to five Kamon on the shoulders, sleeves and back.

Not only is the type of kimono important, but the color as well. Brighter colors and more complex, intricate designs are used for younger women. While older women will wear kimono with more muted colors and with far less decoration. Obi length is also important. Younger women will wear longer obi that are tied in a more complex fashion. Older, married women will usually use a less complex knot. There are ways of tying the obi that are specific to the kimono as well. You wouldn't tie the obi for a yukata the same way you'd tie it for a furisode. And men don't tie their obi the same way women do.

But I digress. (Being an insufferable know-it-all is tiring.)

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/11/29 03:06 By Noacat.
S.A.M.
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Kimono 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 2
Ah! Karma for you!

Being a know-it-all in training, I can appreciate an informative diversion in conversation. I have to thank you for the information, too! I know a lot about hanbok (another wide "genre" of cloths) as my mother was stationed in Korea for some time but I've found that getting a hold of credible kimono information is considerably harder now that Japan has become a fad.

Logged Logged
Noacat
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Kimono 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 14
You're welcome! Also, nice not to be alone in the know-it-all department.

When I first started writing seriously for the Inuyasha fandom I did a crap-ton of research on traditional Japanese clothing. I'm by no means an expert, but I feel pretty confident in what I've gathered so far. Like everything that has to do with Japanese culture, when you start to learn about traditional Japanese clothing you realize there's a lot more to it than you initially thought.

Logged Logged
MomoDesu
Minister of Silly Walks
graphgraph
Re:Kimono 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 25
I'm guilty of being lazy and calling damn near everything a kimono rather than distinguishing what the exact title is. While the embroidery on it is beautiful, I've always preferred the hand painted designs on silk. To me it gives it a much softer look. I'm probably just going by what I own: the pink with hand painted flowers looks much softer and more feminine than the red with the phoenix thingie (not sure what it is honestly) embroidered on it.

Logged Logged
Mistress Sianna
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Kimono 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 26
I have learned quite a bit about traditional Japanese attire as well, but like MomoDesu, I am guilty of laziness as well. I suppose if I was planning to write on a more professional level, I would do more research and attempt to be more specific and exact in my clothing descriptions, but as I do not foresee such a thing, I think my current knowledge should be sufficient.

On the other hand, I really appreciate the link S.A.M!! I can really use some of those patterns as a reference in future drawings!

Logged Logged

Pfft! I was gonna stop procrastinating, but I never got around to it.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.