Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Interesting Article on Sess's Clothes
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Interesting Article on Sess's Clothes
Amethyst
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Interesting Article on Sess's Clothes 14 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 15
I found it to be very interesting and it made me look at him in a new light...

Here is a quote:

"Sesshomaru, though a fashionable creature in his own right, does not stay current with human fashions and apparently once he starts wearing something he likes to wear, well continue to wear it for centuries, even after the rest of the world had stopped wearing them centuries ago.

In other words, what we see Sesshomaru wearing by the time we see him in 1558, is a mish-mash of items he collected up over a period of many centuries and during his travels across Asia, and the result is a very out-moded, old fashioned, and eccentric outfit, that screams bohemian."

Sesshomaru's Outfit is Closer to Chinese than Japanese!?

Logged Logged

I would like some critical feedback on my pseudo-fic, Catch and Keep
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Tomosaho
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Interesting Article on Sess's Clothes 14 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 4
Sesshoumaru's appearance is pretty unusual, but his clothing isn't out of date. He wears a hitatare, high-class clothing for the samurai of the Muromachi Period (which the Sengoku Period is within) and Momoyama Period (which is after the Sengoku Period). That's exactly what any lord or samurai would wear in 1558, and it infact morphs into formal wear for daimyo in the Edo Period, so it doesn't actually fall out of fashion until the late 1800s. Granted, Rumiko Takahashi made a slight mistake in her construction of it, but all in all the clothing looks right. Now, it is true that Sesshoumaru's armor isn't Japanese in style but Chinese, but it's only vaguely so. It looks a lot more like what someone believes Chinese armor looks like, rather than the real deal.

I think that person is taking their research a little too seriously. To say that based on Sesshoumaru's armor he has to be Chinese is a little strange (especially since Inuyasha never once mentions he's half Chinese, nor do any of his friends ask about it). I mean, it's pretty obvious based on what most of the characters are wearing that Rumiko Takahashi wasn't all that interested in being historically accurate. If she was, Sango wouldn't be wearing a leather bodysuit and fighting with a giant boomerang. Rumiko Takahashi was going for wow factor, trying to amaze her teenage audience (who are all aware of the fact that none of the characters are 100% accurate). She usually distinguishes major characters by historical innaccuracies, and Sesshoumaru's inaccuracy is his Chinese...ish armor and fur boa. I think it's a safer assumption to say that instead of Sesshoumaru having Chinese origins, Rumiko Takahashi was just drawing what she thought looked cool.

...I also think that whether or not Sesshoumaru's outfit is historically and culturally inaccurate, cosplayers are still going to try and recreate his outfit as it is in the manga/anime. I don't think cosplayers particularly care if a character's ensemble is accurate, only that their recreation of it is accurate. To be honest, I'm not sure why that discussion was based on a cosplayer's dilemma...

Logged Logged

The administrator has disabled public write access.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.