Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Cannon or Alternate?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Cannon or Alternate?
MiserablySweet
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Cannon or Alternate? 15 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 13
Hi

I'm just curious....

I'm writing a new story, but i'm not sure if it's really cannon or AU.

some help please?

It goes something like this:

- setting is after manga ended
- kagome sees sesshoumaru (yadi yada)
- they talk for a whole chapter
- something happens and they are trapped in a world of illusions

But it's basically like that ^
I don't want to put out too much info, in fear of someone taking my storyline..

Would it be Canon or Alternate?

my apologies if it doesn't belong here.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/01/30 12:58 By MiserablySweet.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Honey-Bee
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Cannon or Alternate? 15 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 26
Well, if it's following the manga, and all the characters are still in character, then I think it could be cannon. Alternate universe stories usually take the characters and completely change their lives (turning Sesshoumaru into a vampire and such, or making Kagome the demon from the past and Sesshoumaru the boy from the future).

But if it is set after the manga, wouldn't Kagome be Sesshoumaru's sister-in-law? I heard that Kagome and Inuyasha got married (unfortunately)...

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/01/30 13:30 By Honey-Bee.
MiserablySweet
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Cannon or Alternate? 15 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 13
O_O really?!

I just read the last chapter on onemanga.com

O_O she didn't marry Inuyasha....

Did she?

Logged Logged
Honey-Bee
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Well, I'm assuming she married Inuyasha... Didn't Kagome call Sesshoumaru "onii-san" (brother) when he flew above her?

EDIT: Here's the page:

s35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/LLStarks/IY558_scanlated/?action=view&current=558-34.png

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/01/30 14:18 By Honey-Bee.
MiserablySweet
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
oh boy.. i thought she meant that mockingly..

Hmm.... change of plans..

Rawrs..

Thank you Honey Bee

Logged Logged
Honey-Bee
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
You know, you could always wave away that little detail... When people write fanfictions for Harry Potter, they pretend that the epilogue in the last book (that awful, hideous epilogue) doesn't exist. Even in their summaries they'll put "EWE". Meaning: "Epilogue? What epilogue?"

So you can continue on with doing your story. Just think of it this way: Sesshoumaru got to Kagome before Inuyasha could.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/01/30 15:05 By Honey-Bee.
Nobody
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Cannon or Alternate? 15 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 0
You know it is not uncommon to "ignore" certain events. This is fanfiction you dont have to have it exact to make it cannon. Most people consider the feudal era to be cannon. And as long as you have the Characters in their original roles i think a lot falls under this category.

Au is a different universe entirely, or within the cannon universe but different roles. (like kagome is a miko from the feudal era, or a princess) There are actual definitions some where. Maybe we should add them to the dokuga dictionary.

Logged Logged
Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Cannon or Alternate? 15 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 54
Haven't seen it much with Inuyasha since the manga didn't end that long ago, but what we normally do with Ranma 1/2, the anime/manga I started writing fanfiction with, is use the term alternate ending. It's still canon, you just start your story before the end and go a different way. It's also been called divergence, which normally means you change in the middle of the story to something different, but can still work to keep the end of the manga out of your story.

Logged Logged

I claimed Tenseiga`s resurrection power!
Mistress Sianna
Supporter
graphgraph
I agree with Nobo. As long as the characters' original roles are preserved, I would consider the story canon. All of the canon stories I have written take place at least three years later (so that Kagome is at least 18) even though the magna didn't go on that long. Not until the final chapter anyway, which dosent' count to me.

I don't think you need to follow the storyline of the magna exactly in order to claim a canon status.

Logged Logged

Pfft! I was gonna stop procrastinating, but I never got around to it.
Honey-Bee
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Thanks Nobody, for explaining this a lot better than I did. I kinda came off sounding like a story has to be pretty exact to place it under the cannon category... Sorry, MiserablySweet, if I confused you in any way. I've never been good at explaining things...

And Hairann makes a good point also. I've read many stories where authors did just that and they where great! Cannon is good, but too much cannon can get in the way of what you're aiming for in a story. Just write whatever you want. Cannon or Alternate, they're both fun to read. And fanfiction is done for fun, right?

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/01/30 18:54 By Honey-Bee.
MiserablySweet
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Mmmm Okay

Thank you very much!

I'm not that experienced as a writer so i really didn't know the difference between CU and AU.

Thanks again!

Logged Logged
Nobody
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Cannon or Alternate? 15 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 0
no problem!

Logged Logged
ladybattousai
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:Cannon or Alternate? 15 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: -666
Your synopsis sounds vaguely similar to my own story and I can understand the confusion since when I started, I had no idea how to classify mine. For now, I consider it to be canon, if not a slightly twisted type. Yours sounds more like a divergence if you care for my opinion.

Logged Logged

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
DaiyoukaiGeisha
*Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Cannon or Alternate? 15 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 15
Honey-Bee wrote:
Well, I'm assuming she married Inuyasha... Didn't Kagome call Sesshoumaru "onii-san" (brother) when he flew above her?

EDIT: Here's the page:

s35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/LLStarks/IY558_scanlated/?action=view&current=558-34.png

I think I poured over that last chapter like a crazy person...

Some translated that as "brother" and other folks translated it as "brother-in-law". No idea which one is the most accurate. It's implied by that statement and the circumstances around it (i.e., her coming back to the past and Souta's words to his school chums) that she and Inuyasha are "together", whether they are officially married at that point or planning on marriage, or whatever, isn't specifically said. The Inuyasha Companion (www.furinkan.com/iycompanion/) claims in its synopsis that they are married. Personally I think they were just engaged in that scene.

As far as "canon", it seems like that's up for grabs in the Inuyasha fanfiction realm. Personally I always fall back on Star Trek and Star Wars rules for fanfiction in anything I write. It's strict but it edges out the confusion for me. If the author/creator didn't bless that pairing in some way, then it's not canon. Not saying this is the way that others should write (everybody should do their own thing IMHO), it's just how I roll. Then again fanfiction in those other universes sometimes turns into canon later, which I've always liked. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to happen in anime/manga it seems. There are plenty of "final battle with Naraku" scenes in fanfics that I've read that beat the hell out of RT's canon version IMHO.

Logged Logged

::::::::::::::::
I like to have a martini, Two at the very most.
After three Im under the table, after four Im under my host.
- Dorothy Parker
MiserablySweet
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Don't worry Ladybattousai, my story won't be as well written as yours.

that's a given.. lol

from what i'm stirring up, the concept seems vaguely familiar, but i assure you it's different ^_^

I haven't enough spare time on my hands to read more of your story, i read the first two chapter, they're wonderful by the way!

if you would like i can PM you a detailed description of the story i'm planning to write, to reassure you that i didn't, and will not copy/twist/remake your story.

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.