Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
The staying power of SessKag
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: The staying power of SessKag
mythicamagic
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The staying power of SessKag 6 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 21
I'm curious about something. I tend to go off into other fandoms and write/create fanart for them, get lost in the abyss ect. But one fandom I always come back to is Inuyasha, and by extension Sesskag (as it's my fav ship)

So, why do you guys think this ship in particular brings people back? It's lasted a good long time and people still create fanfiction for it. Youkai Yume's webcomic is wonderfully updating again. I'd like to know peoples thoughts Is it nostalgia, a sense of fondness, or is it because you still think of stories/fanart to create for the ship?

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Reiyn Isa
Pup
graphgraph
Re:The staying power of SessKag 6 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 7
Idk there is just something about them that once you see it, you don't want any other and you can't find this kind of connection in another

its just so,

magical?
unique?
they're like a fantasy but at the same time they are realistic

Its an enigma

A beautiful one at that

Logged Logged
thesesskagrevivalproject
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:The staying power of SessKag 6 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 7
I always find the fans here to be of a more mature mindset than most ships.

That and sessh is a bae.

Logged Logged

thesesskagrevivalproject.tumblr.com

JOIN THE DISCORD, YA KNOW YOU WANNA

BETA FOR HIRE: will read anything, but loves slowburn, fluff and naughty. HIRE MEEE!!
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:The staying power of SessKag 6 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 277
I stop to think, every once in a while, about what has kept me here since late 2004...

First, the pairing is unlikely, but far more palatable than Inu/Kag. Let's face it, Inu is a teen hero, but immature & angst-ridden as all get out. Not quite ready to face his own insecurities and mistakes, not quite ready to admit to his real feelings, all muscle and action.

Sesshoumaru is far more complicated, which just makes the pairing that much more satisfying, for me at least. Strong, silent, full of his own sense of self-worth and ripe for being taken down a notch or two, and a girl from the future is just the one to do it. As we see her evolve through the canon story, Kags is the anti-heroine. She's empathetic, soft-hearted, and far too self-effacing to be a true 'heroine' type. Her problems with her lack of training and misfiring magic just add to her mystery for a being like Sess.

So many different ways a relationship can evolve between those two, so many contact points that may or may not lead to more in canon, so much unsaid and unexplained... yeah. That's why I'm still here and still enjoying all the ways others find to take those two on a shared journey.

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

sesshomarusama33
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:The staying power of SessKag 6 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 16
I agree with Wiccan! I have gone through phases of who I liked with Kagome most. When I first started watching the show, I actually liked Koga and Kagome together because he had admitted his affections for her and always ran after her. Then I was kinda like, "eh, Inuyasha would be better for her because of blah blah blah." Youkai Yume is what made me fall in love with them. I saw the webcomic with the condom first randomly on Photobucket (I know right?), and then I started seeing all of the other pictures like that she was uploading at that time. Then, I read a few stories on ff. net (I don't remember which ones, one had something to do with Tenshi if you can remember? Waaay back in like 2005 / 2006). I immediately fell in love.

I think it has to do with the fact of what Wiccan said. Sesshomaru is a strong, silent type and we literally always wonder about what his life is really like. You don't hear about his backstory nearly as much as Inuyasha's, and he is more of an interesting character. Why did he REALLY stop Mukotsu from killing Kagome? He claims to hate her, but there he was - saving her and her friends. From his character, we know he isn't interested in human affair.s He could of just let them die.

There is a soft spot to him, and we just want to know exactly what it means. Also, it's my first hardcore ship ever lol so it's just my favorite <3

Logged Logged

kB
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:The staying power of SessKag 6 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 15
I think a lot of it has to do with the community that has grown around the pairing. We all know some sites have rude and plagiarizing people, but dokuga has a very supportive group of fans. We give everyone a shot at writing even if it’s not the best written fic. We have a great group of people who are encouraging to new writers, and we get excited whenever a more well known author begins a new fic or updates an old fic. Overall, no matter how great the pairing it will fall apart if the writers are being constantly flamed and their works being shredded apart by unconstructive criticism.

Logged Logged
Miss Elinor
Pup
graphgraph
Re:The staying power of SessKag 6 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
I wish there was something new that I could add but everyone here has voiced the truth perfectly.

I will add that there is definitely a nostalgia element for people my age at least. I entered the fandom as a tiny, baby middle schooler and, in a way, grew up with these stories that we now all share.

Combine that with the unshakeable positivity of the community and the perfection of the ship itself and we can sail on forever.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2018/01/29 22:38 By Miss Elinor.
mythicamagic
Pup
graphgraph
Re:The staying power of SessKag 6 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 21
Thank you for all the responses guys! It's really nice to read comments like these, makes me glad this community exists ^^

Logged Logged
yukihime
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:The staying power of SessKag 6 Years ago Karma: 4
I feel like, despite Takahashi pairing Kagome with Inuyasha, she makes more sense with Sesshoumaru. The dynamics of each character and how they interact with one another hold the same complexity as Inuyasha's relationship with Kikyou. I see where Inuyasha makes a more interesting character with greater obstacles to overcome but I see that same intricacy with the Kagome and Sesshoumaru.

I think this pairing is an obsession for many and draws in new artists and writers because it feels right.

Logged Logged

Art by LadyShieru
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.