Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Regarding the use of 'Ye'
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom Favoured: 1
TOPIC: Regarding the use of 'Ye'
sara12
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Regarding the use of 'Ye' 7 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0
Not sure if this is the right thread but I wanted to comment about the use the phrase 'ye' in many fanfics here.

Most people who happen to use 'ye' use it as an archaic form for 'you' (very often used by Kaede or any older character) however 'ye' is infact the old English spelling for 'the'. The letter 'y' denoted the sound 'th' before it changed. Therefore a sentence like 'Will ye like some tea' makes no sense because in essence the person is saying 'Will the like some tea'.

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Regarding the use of 'Ye' 7 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 277
Hi Sara!

If you've ever watched any of the InuYasha anime, however, you will note that Kaede's speech is littered with "ye," "thy," and "thou." That, I believe, is where most of our authors pick it up. Since it is in keeping with the anime, it fits perfectly in the stories here.

Thanks so much for enlightening us as to the etymology of the word, though! I certainly had no idea that it wasn't used as a pronoun, probably like most here. In any event, we like to encourage our writers to use whatever suits them as they are the creative geniuses that provide us with so much free reading material!!

Thank you again for the information!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

l'-'jj
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Regarding the use of 'Ye' 7 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 6
...I think that just shows that whatever translator wrote those lines for Kaede in the anime must have had poor English skills, to mess up like that.

Sometimes, you are just better off with amateurs. Recently I have been reading a manga online and somewhere in the middle of it appeared a few chapters that were scans of the official translation. Made me cringe just looking at it. It was suddenly all like 'hey due, chill out' and the trancsribed names... Kenta turned to Kent, Keisuke to KT, Itsuki to Iggy, or even worse, Igg-meister. I think that that, for me, is probably the biggest reason for ignoring the official stuff.

Logged Logged
Nicka
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Regarding the use of 'Ye' 7 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 60
Speaking from a perspective of having been raised by grandparents I can say that they and my great grands would say ye for you. I though your post interesting so i look it up myself and it states that "ye" is a personal pronoun which is northern English for you so the way in which it is used in the writing here and on Inuyasha in correct. It also gave your meaning "ye" meaning the with the example of "ye olde". Both uses are correct and only differ with the context in which they are used.

Logged Logged
l'-'jj
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Regarding the use of 'Ye' 7 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 6
Well, if that's the case, I need to apologise for my previous comment - using a transcription of anew accent, huh?

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.