Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
What do you do to break out of Writer's Block?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: What do you do to break out of Writer's Block?
gildedglass
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
What do you do to break out of Writer's Block? 8 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 7
All authors know this feeling; your reviewers are clamoring for more chapters, and the tag on your story says it hasn't been updated for months. You're staring at a blank document, typing and backspacing in turn. What do you do?

Me? I immediately close out of the document and go hunting for some fresh, juicy SessKag meat. What about you? Funny cat videos? A date with your girlfriends?

Feel free to answer with fluffy randomness. I'm just curious about the rest of the Dokuga writing community.

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:What do you do to break out of Writer's Block? 8 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 57
I read books or fanfiction, watch movies, draw, and do everyday RL stuff like shopping. Or I sleep too, which can really help of you've been trying to write while tired i.e after a long mind-numbing day at work.

I also set aside the fiction piece and work on something else which might be writing for another fandom.

It helps to take the stress off.

Also I might just not be in the mood to write too.

So I do other things till I can write again.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2016/03/19 18:55 By Pyre.
FaerieDearest
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:What do you do to break out of Writer's Block? 8 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 152
I don't if this will help you, but you could watch some episodes of the anime. Not just InuYasha, but any other that might interest you.

Logged Logged
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:What do you do to break out of Writer's Block? 8 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 156
Depends on what kind of writer's block we're talking about.

If it is the blank page syndrome, the first thing is to get off the computer. If you sit there staring at the blank document you're only driving yourself to frustration. Brainstorming with a friend might help sometimes, personally I've always found walks to be helpful. I've never come back from a walk without an idea. Think of where the plot of your story is going and what kind of scenes you could do to move that plot forward and let your mind work it out on its own.

If you have an idea but you can't seem to put it in words, just keep at it and don't give up. Sometimes it might help to just cut away the bits you don't like and try again. Even if you hate what you've written, you can always go back to work on it. And who knows, maybe when you read it over later it doesn't sound as bad as you'd feared.

If you just don't feel like writing then you just need to find that self-discipline to park your behind on that chair. Writing is work, and work isn't always fun so it's natural to want to avoid it from time to time. Cutting yourself away from the distractions might help you stop procrastinating, like writing long-hand in a notebook is disabling your wi-fi or using an application. I've found the Writer's block app helpful on occasion. Set yourself a goal or a deadline and hold yourself to it, maybe think of a reward for yourself if you manage to reach the goal. It might also help to enlist a friend's help, sometimes it's more motivating when there is someone else to hold you accountable and keep you in check.

There are probably other kind of writer's blocks out there, and mileage may vary. These three are the most common ones to me, and this is how I prefer to deal with them.

Logged Logged
Rinku
Pup
graphgraph
Re:What do you do to break out of Writer's Block? 8 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 9
I find drawing helps me imagine possible scenes. I also tend to go to older stories and work on them. My madness does have a method; if you notice a fanfiction of mine that was not updated in months-years suddenly being updated, it's a sign my more completed/updated stories are at a standstill. I set aside the story I can't figure out and move on. Inspiration somehow always manages to arise again eventually

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.