Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Pros and Cons of Disabling Anonymous Reading
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Pros and Cons of Disabling Anonymous Reading
gildedglass
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Pros and Cons of Disabling Anonymous Reading 8 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 7
I'm debating on whether to disable anonymous reading for my stories or not. As of now, it is enabled. I was under the impression that this could be a bad thing potentially, but I'm not really sure how. I know that a lot of people don't bother signing in to read, so I'd like to be able to get my story across to as many people as possible. That's why it was enabled in the first place.
Could you guys update me on the pros and cons of disabling anonymous reading? Thanks!

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Scar-bby
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Pros and Cons of Disabling Anonymous Reading 8 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 12
I'm not exactly sure about the disadvantages of the Anon reading. I know that Anon reviews I suppose can be a touchy subject. I never did understand why some authors disabled this option, maybe as a personal preference? I did see one author who was just starting to write ask about getting a new account, because she did not what her family to see her writing. A few people suggested disabling the anon reading, that way only registered users could see. So if you are worried about something of that nature, that would be a pro.

Another pro would be security, I know on FF authors have had stuff stolen so if Anonymous reading is enabled it would be pretty easy. But even with that feature disabled someone could create an account and get to it if they wanted.

The only con I can think of is you wouldn't get much traffic. I know some authors write for their pleasure and don't care if they get reviews or traffic. I get curious on certain chapters I post, especially if its a personal chapter or something. That is about it, I hope that helped some.

Logged Logged
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Pros and Cons of Disabling Anonymous Reading 8 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 57
There are really only a handful of pros and cons for disabling anonymous reviews. Most are fairly obvious.

Pros -

1 - Regulates and restricts story access to site members only.
2 - Means only site members with an account can review.
3 - Makes responding to reviews through PM or otherwise much easier.
4 - Adds some security benefits - Only site members can view your story so anonymous readers can't view, see, and potentially copy a story.
5 - Prevents unregistered YIMS from accessing R-18 material.
6 - Formally IDs every member-reviewer, and makes disciplinary actions for Admins over questionable content in reviews easier to do.

Cons -
1 - Restricted story traffic means less reviews.
2 - Also means less of an audience.
3 - Means anyone could access R-18 material if anonymous reviews are enabled.
4 - Makes it easier for reviews to be made that contain questionable content.
5 - Can't contact reviewers or respond to their comments.
6 - Means admins can't track and or discipline an anonymous reviewer other than possibly banning their IP address.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2015/11/06 02:26 By Pyre.
Alon
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Pros and Cons of Disabling Anonymous Reading 8 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 1
Hello!

I agree with all of the above. Personally, I think anonymous reading allows more perspective for your story and some provide more constructive comments. For the longest time I've been an anonymous person reading and for someone anonymous to be bothered to take time to comment is very substantial. I feel like enabling anonymous reading is a good step forward to embracing how you can improve your writing. Though, on the flip side, it might take some thicker skin for really uselessly critical or hateful comments--of which is not allowed either way--but be prepared for that.

So far, all my anonymous comments have given me substantial advice on what they think of my stories and what they hope to see, which is great and so welcomed. As much as I stimulate their thinking, their thinking stimulates me as well. So that's just a brief view of what I think. Ultimately, disabling anonymous just makes the eager beaver create an account, right? Haha. Cheers!

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.