Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
I am not receiving any email notices from Dokuga
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: I am not receiving any email notices from Dokuga
Rose
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
I am not receiving any email notices from Dokuga 10 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
Hello,
I have been having problems with receiving emails from the dokuga website whenever one of my favorites updates their stories. It has been a problem for a few weeks now. I have tried logging out and logging back in to see if it would reset itself but it has not. When I go back to stories that I have favorited in the past it shows on the stories page that it is a story that I am following and is on my favorites list. Is there something that I need to reset in order to receive my emails again? I just want to get email notices again so that way I can still read my favorite fanfics again without having to worry about going on a hunt for them everyday. Thank you for any help that you could give me.

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
RogueKittieKat
Pup
graphgraph
Re:I am not receiving any email notices from Dokuga 10 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 2
Check your junk mail folder, that is where 90% of mine go. I use hotmail and even after I added to my safe sender list they still end up there so I just check it regularly.

Logged Logged
Mitharus
Admin
graphgraph
Re:I am not receiving any email notices from Dokuga 10 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 53
Besides checking your junk/spam on the site you use for e-mail, the other thing to look at is to be sure the e-mail address under your profile is correct. The site blindly grabs that to send notifications to.

-J

Logged Logged
Speedy Tomato
Pup
graphgraph
Re:I am not receiving any email notices from Dokuga 10 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 5
If it's hotmail or outlook, as it's now called, you're using, nothing you're going to do is going to kick the notices out of being marked as spam. I had the same ruddy issue. I finally went to gmail and not had a problem since. Whatever filter microfreakingcrapsoft has in place there refuses to understand that Dokuga notices are not spam. I did everything I could to get it out of that cycle and it didn't work. Sorry! *grumbles and walks off, still ranting under my breath*

Logged Logged
Midnight Song
Pup
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:I am not receiving any email notices from Dokuga 10 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
You could also try unsubscribing from the author/fic, and then re-subscribing. I had to do that at one point for all of my favorite fics.

Logged Logged
Mitharus
Admin
graphgraph
Re:I am not receiving any email notices from Dokuga 10 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 53
Midnight Song wrote:
You could also try unsubscribing from the author/fic, and then re-subscribing. I had to do that at one point for all of my favorite fics.

Really?!? Didn't hear anything about that. Doing that shouldn't matter...

Rose: I don't see any mail sitting in the mail queue that's supposed to go to the e-mail address that's in your profile.

Long tech tangent...
So, basically, the the e-mail code is really dumb... For each story, it grabs a list of users that have the story marked as a favorite. Then, for that list of users, it gets the e-mail addresses and sends an e-mail out.

There's no checking, no verification... it just sends it. Same for Author.

Depending on the number of people that have a story marked as favorite, will depend on how long it takes to send out the generated e-mail. So, it *is* possible for it to lose some e-mail sending sometimes... if for some reason the server process that the e-mail sending is attached to dies, or gets restarted before it's complete.

It's also possible for e-mail to get backed up because of server settings on the remote side. This again rarely will happen. I think with @hotmail.com addresses, we would need to send something like 5000+ in under a minute to be throttled by the hotmail servers for 30 seconds. Which would cause it to queue the messages up for ~5 minutes before trying to those servers again.

Usually, the e-mails get out from our server fine... I can't see anything past what's sitting in the local mail queue to go out, and most of that is usually a bad/non-existent e-mail address, or the remote server was refusing for whatever reason when it was first attempted.

-J

Logged Logged
Midnight Song
Pup
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:I am not receiving any email notices from Dokuga 10 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
Mitharus wrote:
Midnight Song wrote:

Really?!? Didn't hear anything about that. Doing that shouldn't matter...

-J

Yup. I don't really know why it did it, but I had to go and unsubscribe from most all of my favorited ones and then resubscribe. I haven't had an issue since, and this was almost a year ago, maybe longer? The only reason I remember is because I think at one point or another while this was happening, either I posted something about it in the forums, or someone else was having the same issue.

Either way, un and re subscribing was recommended to me, and I tried it and it worked. **shrug**

Logged Logged
RogueKittieKat
Pup
graphgraph
Re:I am not receiving any email notices from Dokuga 10 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 2
I noticed that I get notices on some of my favorite stories and then the rest go to the junk mail folder, maybe I will send them to my gmail account. I have only had this hotmail account since like, jeez, 2004, so maybe it's time for a change.

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.