Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
I Need Help Picking My Story
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: I Need Help Picking My Story
I Need Help Picking My Story 10 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
Lately I've been thinking about doing a Romeo and Juliet type of book and I was trying to figure out if I should write it in Shakespeare's exact words or an easier version. Or if I should write it like a regular book, or should I do all of them in the same book? I'm so confused and I can't figure out what to do, please help!!

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Miko Sayuri
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:I Need Help Picking My Story 10 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 3
I think you should do your own version of Shakespeare. The different characters that are involved. Sesshomaru can't be poisoned cause he's immune to almost anything. Make a twist to it. Use that time period of course. Keep the concept of the story. Just different from the usual Romeo and Juliet. Look forward to reading it

Logged Logged
CritterWhisperer
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:I Need Help Picking My Story 10 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 47
By "Shakespeare's exact words," do you mean using vernacular from that time period? If it were me, I wouldn't do it for a couple of reasons. The first of which would be that some of it can be difficult to understand for a reader who is not accustomed to reading literature from the Elizabethan age, and it may make the readers just pass the story up altogether -- just as many people don't particularly like Shakespeare at first because they miss out on a lot of what is going on, unless they are constantly reading footnotes as they go along.

Also, unless I were really well-versed in the language and the sayings of that time period, I wouldn't try it because I might find myself slipping into more modern ways of speaking and drive myself crazy with editing to make sure that everything stayed in the same style.

I have no opinion about whether you should write it as a normal fanfic or as a play. It's up to you and what you think would be easier to do. I do agree that you should put your own twist on it. Most people know the story so well, or at least the basic plot, that it would really grasp your audience's attention if you have something unexpected planned for it.

Good luck. I look forward to reading it.

Logged Logged

I tagged . . . err, claimed Sesshoumaru's cute, elfin ears in the Dokuga Claiming Game
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:I Need Help Picking My Story 10 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 277
CritterWhisperer wrote:
I have no opinion about whether you should write it as a normal fanfic or as a play. It's up to you and what you think would be easier to do.

Just make sure that any story is written as a story. Script-type stories are not allowed on our site. Please see the following tutorial for a better understanding of how your story should appear:

http://www.dokuga.com/forum/34-authors-tools/51825-dokuga-authors-tutorial-content#51825

Thank you!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:I Need Help Picking My Story 10 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 156
CritterWhisperer wrote:
By "Shakespeare's exact words," do you mean using vernacular from that time period? If it were me, I wouldn't do it for a couple of reasons. The first of which would be that some of it can be difficult to understand for a reader who is not accustomed to reading literature from the Elizabethan age.

Also worth keeping in mind that some of your readers might not even have English as their first language...

Logged Logged
CritterWhisperer
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:I Need Help Picking My Story 10 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 47
WiccanMethuselah wrote:
CritterWhisperer wrote:
I have no opinion about whether you should write it as a normal fanfic or as a play. It's up to you and what you think would be easier to do.

Just make sure that any story is written as a story. Script-type stories are not allowed on our site. Please see the following tutorial for a better understanding of how your story should appear:

http://www.dokuga.com/forum/34-authors-tools/51825-dokuga-authors-tutorial-content#51825

Thank you!

~~Wiccan~~

I didn't even know that was a rule. But now I see it's hiding in there with the rules about content.

Logged Logged

I tagged . . . err, claimed Sesshoumaru's cute, elfin ears in the Dokuga Claiming Game
Re:I Need Help Picking My Story 10 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
Okay, thank you all for your input! I think I'm just going to use regular day to say speech and then add my own twists to it. Thank you for all the help!

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:I Need Help Picking My Story 10 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 277
CritterWhisperer wrote:
WiccanMethuselah wrote:
CritterWhisperer wrote:

Thank you!

~~Wiccan~~

I didn't even know that was a rule. But now I see it's hiding in there with the rules about content.

LOL! Yeah, the rules have evolved over the years, I'm afraid. We try to alert everyone when we've made any major changes, but it helps to check 'em occasionally.

~~me~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

Miko Sayuri
Pup
graphgraph
Re:I Need Help Picking My Story 10 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 3
I look forward to it. Good luck with the story

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.