Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Need help with my fic's formatting.
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Need help with my fic's formatting.
ZooZebra
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Need help with my fic's formatting. 11 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
I am posting my fic using notepad, since Microsoft word has expired for me. My problem is that for some reason, when I transfer the document from notepad to this site for posting, the document automatically double spaces after it is posted. Is anyone familiar with this problem and can help me sort it out? The strange thing is that this problem did not occur in the first chapter, only in the subsequent chapters.

Thanks for the time.

~ZooZebra

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Need help with my fic's formatting. 11 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 277
OOPS!

Don't compare anything to chapter one of this story... because I edited the chapter and re-uploaded it from Word the night she posted it. I merely forgot to mention it with my internet going in and out for the past couple of days, LOL!

Sorry for any confusion. I think, perhaps, her problem with NotePad was that she didn't have WordWrap turned on... or maybe that she did? WordWrap will insert line breaks in your document that correspond with the size of your document window. If her document window was the same size as the upload window on the site, the finished document would probably end up looking wonky.

OpenOffice has it's own problems interfacing with the site, but those are a lot easier to deal with, usually, than the Notepad problems. Trying to remove all the funky line breaks from that first chapter was a royal nightmare!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Need help with my fic's formatting. 11 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 54
Sorry I don't know how to fix such a problem, but if you need another word program. Try OpenOffice. It's free and legal to download. Hopefully someone else will know how to fix the problem for ya .

Logged Logged

I claimed Tenseiga`s resurrection power!
ZooZebra
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Need help with my fic's formatting. 11 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
Thanks! i'll download it now and try it out

~ ZooZebra

Logged Logged
landofthekwt
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Need help with my fic's formatting. 11 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 8
I was looking at the most recent chapter of "Rewind". You have a problem that I used to have. If you do not type to the end of each line, part of the last line of the paragraph will appear as separate paragraph. You need to edit the last line of each paragraph so that each reaches the end of the line.

Logged Logged
ZooZebra
Pup
graphgraph
I didn't type to the end of each line with the two new chapters from The Awakening fic, but I did with the latest chapter of Rewind. I didn't have the problem with everything being double spaced, but you can see that I still have a problem with line breaks. I really don't know how to just make it normal, like the first chapter of The Awakening. I didn't do anything different with chapter two and three >.<

Logged Logged
ZooZebra
Pup
graphgraph
I just downloaded open office, so I'm going to resubmit Chapter 2 of the Awakening and see if that changes anything. Fingers crossed ^_^

Logged Logged
ZooZebra
Pup
graphgraph
Just an update...

I downloaded OpenOffice, however it couldn't eliminate the double spacing when I copied it from there and transferred it back to Dokuga. It did catch all my grammar errors though I think it's just the formatting of notepad. I'm going to write chapter 4 of the Awakening on OpenOffice and see if the problem still continues. I think it's just a problem from notepad @_@

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2012/07/07 12:34 By ZooZebra.
Mitharus
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Need help with my fic's formatting. 11 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 53
ZooZebra wrote:
Just an update...

I downloaded OpenOffice, however it couldn't eliminate the double spacing when I copied it from there and transferred it back to Dokuga. It did catch all my grammar errors though I think it's just the formatting of notepad. I'm going to write chapter 4 of the Awakening on OpenOffice and see if the problem still continues. I think it's just a problem from notepad @_@

To me, it appears that when you were typing in notepad, you either hit the enter key to go to a new line, or had line (word?) wrap on (that forces a unsaved "new line" in, but it's there if you copy the text) when you copied up Chapter 2.

The reason I say this, is that comparing the text of chapter 2 to chapter 1, Chapter 2's text ends much sooner than chapter 1 does. Every line in chapters 2/3 are seen as a separate paragraph in what's saved in the Database.

Do you have a copy of the text? If so I can fiddle with it and try getting the newlines out, but I don't want to do that if you don't have a copy of it anywhere.

-J

Logged Logged
Mitharus
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Need help with my fic's formatting. 11 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 53
Mitharus wrote:
Do you have a copy of the text? If so I can fiddle with it and try getting the newlines out, but I don't want to do that if you don't have a copy of it anywhere.

So... I edited Chapter 2... I think that's correct now? If so, I can do 3 as well. Doesn't take me to long editing the HTML.

I still believe that it is the copying with word wrap on that causes it, but without any definitive proof it's still a guesstimation though. :/

-J

Logged Logged
ZooZebra
Pup
graphgraph
Oh wow, I just saw your post and I'm flabbergasted that you were able to fix it. THANK YOU. I tried for two days straight to no avail. ^_^ If it wouldn't be asking for so much trouble, could you fix chapter 3 for me as well? I'm not going to be using notepad any more to post new chapters. I downloaded another word processor as I said above. I have no idea how you fixed it but THANK YOU again

Logged Logged
ZooZebra
Pup
graphgraph
Thanks Wiccan! I hadn't noticed that you changed anything since the first time I checked out the chapter must have been after you did so. But you're right. This whole thing with notepad was a royal nightmare T_T Thanks for helping :3

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.