Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
FAQ for my story. Should I do one? And How?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: FAQ for my story. Should I do one? And How?
Avadrea
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
FAQ for my story. Should I do one? And How? 9 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 27
This is an odd question but I get a lot of FAQs about my fan-fiction Because That's How I Roll.

I want to do a FAQ file for the story, and maybe some links to geek references like Gamers: the Dorkness rising ect.

I don't want to have to post it at the end of every chapter, and if I post it on one it might go missed by the people who want to know. I also don't want to add it as a chapter. I think that is against the rules and would really break the flow of my story.

Any advice on how I could go about doing this? I was thinking a link at the end in the authors notes of my chapters to a FAQ blog or forum post. But I don't know if links are allowed in author's notes or if this would be the best solution.

I already end up with rather long author's notes because I do explain any obscure gamer or geek references I use in each chapter.

Also please let me know if a FAQ just might not be necessary.

Logged Logged

The administrator has disabled public write access.
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:FAQ for my story. Should I do one? And How? 9 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 277
Unless you make your FAQ under 300 words, it can't go at the end of a chapter either. Sorry!

And, you're right, you could not make it a separate chapter either.

The only place I can see posting an FAQ would be on your profile in the "Main" section. You could also post it on the forum under "Self-Promotion" and include a link to one or the other at the end of the chapter.

OR

You could just answer questions as they arise?

I dunno... I do know that our rules make it difficult to do things like that, but the primary thought was that such things should be explained in some fashion in the course of the story, rather than being posted as stand-alone notes. The only exceptions we make for overly long author's notes is in the case of historical information or - as you mentioned - technical information that increases the readers' knowledge of events referred to in the story.

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

Avadrea
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:FAQ for my story. Should I do one? And How? 9 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 27
Well probably the biggest note is that I realized that this story is not 100% modern reality. It kinda of is, but the problem I have is I am using AMERICAN geek and nerd references and culture set in Japan. Not Japanese nerd culture... which I know nothing about. I am sure there are many differences.. for one Poki, anime, manga, and other Japanese cultural exports would not seem exotic and I doubt there are many Japanese "weeaboos" out there. (I know there is the Japanese to American culture equivalent) Also nostalgic stuff might not be as big like He-Man or Thunder cats or it would be different.

At the same time I do not want to uproot Kagome and her family to America (I already had them living in a shrine with a Torii arch. So I hope my readers can suspend their belief long enough for that not to ruin the story. But there are a few more story world problems that I am not sure how to tackle IN the story itself. Explaining my concept of inu Yukai family in small dabbles for instance. I am trying to I worry I might not be oblique enough so I though a FAQ might help clarify since I tend to be a less is more writer when it comes to explaining my world to my readers. (Things like how they adopted a human, why Sesshouamru still lives at home when he is in college, ect) I plan on explaining it later but people are asking me now. Should I answer of force them to wait?

Maybe the best way is just to pm responses to questions are put them in the next chapters authors notes...

Sorry for so many questions but I could use some advice.

Logged Logged

WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:FAQ for my story. Should I do one? And How? 9 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 277
Not being an author (much) and not having to deal with readers asking myriad questions, you've asked a bunch that I have no clue how to answer!

Hopefully, some other REAL authors will see this and come to your rescue!!!!!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:FAQ for my story. Should I do one? And How? 9 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 57
That's a really interesting topic. I suggest using the most common questions or obscure references to this and that in your FAQ. I also agree with Wiccan with posting it outside if your stories and on your profile page instead of with the story itself as long Author's Notes. It might be best if you post only the most relevant stuff too. Keep the explanation brief and concise rather than waffling for half a page. If you need to discuss something in that kind of depth, I'd suggest having a character for example explaining it to Kagome in-story or another character. It than resolves the issue of adding it to a glossary or a FAQ.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
Nicole
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:FAQ for my story. Should I do one? And How? 9 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 154
Speaking from the point of a reader/reviewer who tends to ask questions -
Don't hesitate to tell someone that their question(s) will be answered later in the story. I've received several messages from authors like that since I started reading fanfiction again. In most cases it's just good to know that the question is one that the author has considered and patience will be rewarded
Also, in some stories when I'm asking questions, I'll try to identify whether they are rhetorical or clarification questions. The rhetorical ones are mostly there to give the author an idea of how/what I'm thinking while I read their work. One author told me straight up that I was getting scarily close (for her) to her surprise ending!

Logged Logged
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:FAQ for my story. Should I do one? And How? 9 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 57
Nicole wrote:
One author told me straight up that I was getting scarily close (for her) to her surprise ending!

LOL Nicole!

That's just scarily reminiscent of a review I had from a reader. We discussed issues with a story I wrote and a plot-device I used which was kewl. I didn't mind it one bit. Only thing was, the reader/reviewer unwittingly in a reply PM to me actually spoiled future chapters for themselves by accurately 'guessing' what I'd planned to do. I hadn't told them specifics, but the gist of their 'guesstimations' was exactly what I'd intended for the characters to do. It made me laugh out loud. I did tell them that they'd inevitably 'spoiled' themselves too. They were happy and thankful for the spoilers, although I hadn't actually revealed any. They did that themselves. I just confirmed here and there.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
Nicole
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:FAQ for my story. Should I do one? And How? 9 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 154
I'd laid out three possible ending options for her (based on how the story had gone and her writting style in general) and she told me one of them was too close for comfort. Fortunately, she didn't reveal which of the three it was

Logged Logged
Avadrea
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:FAQ for my story. Should I do one? And How? 9 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 27
I'm actually happy when my reads pm me or review and point out that they noticed some of my subtle things. Especially with this series since I try to sneak in Cannon references as subtle as possible.

Logged Logged

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.