Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Different Writing Styles - Writer VS Author
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom Favoured: 1
TOPIC: Different Writing Styles - Writer VS Author
_neversilenced
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Different Writing Styles - Writer VS Author 12 Years ago Karma: 1
Hi all!

So I have a question for everyone, since I'm a little torn at the moment.
Do you differ your writing style when you're writing as a "writer" versus writing as an "author"?

The only reason I ask is because I've noticed the way I write for my fanfiction stories seems to mirror the way I write when I'm writing for just myself. I'm wondering though if I should change it up when I'm writing for an audience? - you know, "write to please many" sort of thing?

What are your takes on this? I'm just really curious, and I think it would help me immensely if I could get some feedback.

Thanks so much!

Logged Logged

Never be bullied into silence.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Different Writing Styles - Writer VS Author 12 Years ago Karma: 156
I'm kinda curious what exactly is the difference between a "writer" and an "author", I always thought that author referred to a professional, published writer...?

To spout an overused saying, you cannot please everyone. People's tastes and preferences vary a great deal. At least be aware of that and keep that on your mind!
Personally, my loyalty is more to the story than to my audience. I love to hear my readers' opinions, and I want to share my stories with them and I hope they will enjoy my creations. But I am writing to tell the story, not to please my audience.

Of course it is different when you write for an audience because then you and your story will be subjected to the readers' interpretations, expectations and opinions, and those are something you should ideally be aware of - but I don't think that necessarily dictates a need to change your style of writing! It's rather a question of attitude and mindset, being aware that people may disagree with you on certain things and not letting the (possible) negative feedback put you down.

But of course, that is only how I feel. Ultimately it is all your decision to make, and if you feel such a change is warranted, then do as you feel is best.

Logged Logged
JeniNeji
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Different Writing Styles - Writer VS Author 12 Years ago Karma: 21
Eh... For me is the same, I think. Besides, when one writes there is always someone who likes it. In my case, when people suggest an addition to the plot or something I take it into consideration. If I don't stray much, I may add it but only if it doesn't mess up with my idea of the story.

This happened to me once where I turned a simple OC Doctor into Jinenji. Someone asked me if the OC was an IY character... I never thought about it that way, but it helped a lot in the progression of my story when I made him Jinenji.

When I write to myself...is mostly in Spanish so I can't really compare :/

Like Chie said, We can't please everyone, always.

So, just... enjoy writing...no matter how, or if it's similar or different. Try to have as much fun as you can

Logged Logged

_neversilenced
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Different Writing Styles - Writer VS Author 12 Years ago Karma: 1
Thank you guys so much for the feedback!

I really appreciate it and I think I'll continue writing the way I have been. I think I just had an insecurity moment and needed the reassurance that it's okay to write in the way that's most natural for me.

Logged Logged

Never be bullied into silence.
Kyndred Raven
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Different Writing Styles - Writer VS Author 12 Years ago Karma: 22
Speaking from personal experience, I would advise you to never cater to anyone else when writing. Writing, itself, is an art form and should be treated as such. Believe in yourself!

If everyone had the same type of writing style, reading would be boring. I believe that having your own unique way of putting words together is what makes each author/writer different from the rest.

Logged Logged

Sala
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Different Writing Styles - Writer VS Author 12 Years ago Karma: 1
While it is true that you cannot cater to everyone, I would say this: even though it is "just" fan fiction, the quality of the writing should be the best you can make it. Don't crank out a mediocre fic just to get an idea off your chest. That isn't fair to your audience, or to your true ability.
Always take the time to make certain there aren't any glaring grammatical errors, formatting issues, or continuity mistakes. If your story is the best you can make it, you'll have a greater sense of pride in your work and your audience will have a better time reading.

Logged Logged
zandrellia
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Different Writing Styles - Writer VS Author 12 Years ago Karma: 14
Some interesting information for everyone to consider:

The words writer and author have grown to be nearly synonymous. As far as I can tell, the word writer has been around for quite some time, whereas the word author has been around somewhat less. While all writers can be authors, not all authors are, in fact, writers. Additionally, while authors can be writers, not all writers are necessarily authors. The difference is in origination.

Anyone can copy down words when they are learning handwriting and be considered a writer. A secretary who jots down what her boss wants to say in a letter or a court reporter who types out the words being spoken would both be writers. However, none of these people would be authors as none of them are creating something entirely new of their own idea.

So, those who write fanfiction can be both writers and authors. Sometimes, depending on the situation, we can be one or the other without being both. For example, when one takes a plunnie from someone else and uses it, they are primarily a writer only and the originator of that plunnie (the one who had the idea) is the author but not a writer of that story.

Despite popular belief, neither word has anything to do with publication.

Neat, huh?

Logged Logged
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Different Writing Styles - Writer VS Author 12 Years ago Karma: 57
Well that would be different for everyone I imagine, for myself for example the ideology of being a Writer or an Author is a matter of context rather than in actually undertaking the exercise of 'writing' something.

I consider myself a 'Writer' for fanfiction since I am borrowing from the Inuyasha universe, and reusing characters, or concepts in a piece of fiction that is 'fan-written'. I consider myself an 'Author' if I am creating original pieces, fiction, characters, novels, reports etc that are my own work entirely and not fanfiction.

That's how I draw a distinction but everyone has their own interpretation.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.