Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
How do you punctuate?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: How do you punctuate?
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
How do you punctuate? 8 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 57
Hiya,

I just got the oddest review for a fic I wrote in another fandom. It wasn't even related to the story or the writing, simple reading something like this:

'Punctuation goes inside the speechmarks'.

No further explanation.

I believe it was related to how I punctuate using dialogue, which is always like this.

"I don't think he likes me", said Kagome.

Which is correct for UK English, especially punctuation, but probably looks weird to a US reader.

As in keeping the comma outside the speech marks, rather than inside. The fullstop stays where it is, since it's the end of the sentence.

But saying that I have read local newspapers that use this kind of punctuation instead.

"I don't think he likes me," said Kagome.

Which is also correct, I think, but looks funny to me.

With the comma inside the speechmarks.

I suppose, personally, it's really about consistency. If an author punctuates either way, and I can still read it, than I don't really mind.

So, how do you punctuate?

~ Pyre

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2015/06/29 22:30 By Pyre.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Mitharus
Admin
graphgraph
Re:How do you punctuate? 8 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 53
Ugh... for that when I'm writing, I'll end up mixing and not even realize it.

If I'm being highly specific, for en_US I _try_ to keep the comma inside of the quotation, but it doesn't always work out that way. I try to do it though. I guess I personally don't really care that much as long as some form of punctuation does exist.

I mean, reading something like:

I don't think he likes me said Kagome.

Just sucks.

-M

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2015/06/29 23:03 By mitharus.
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:How do you punctuate? 8 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 277
For all U.S. English writing questions, I've found this to be the best resource imaginable:

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/

Not the most user-friendly in the world, but with persistence, you can find almost anything!

~~me~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

Nicole
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:How do you punctuate? 8 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 154
I did not know that about UK punctuation. I've always put the commas inside the quotation marks... probably because I've always seen it done that way. I have read some stories with "weird" punctuation (or spelling) where in a note the author has explained that that is how it's done in her/his country; I've found that very helpful—and a good reminder that what's normal for me is not normal for all.

Logged Logged
Esparky
Pup
graphgraph
Re:How do you punctuate? 8 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
Interesting topic! I recommend the following article, which explores some of the differences: www.theguardian.com/media/mind-your-language/2011/may/19/mind-your-language-punctuation-quotations

Logged Logged
Avalei
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:How do you punctuate? 8 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 54
Generally I put punctuation inside the commas. It's just how I was told to do it when I was young. I've seen it both ways and truthfully it really doesn't matter to me since I'm not that nitpicky. The fact that a writer uses quotation marks and punctuation (be it inside or outside of the quotation marks) makes me happy. I've read (in some cases tried to read and gave up) stories that have thoughts and spoken word in the same sentence but don't use any marks to distinguish a difference between the two. Personally I view this in the same light as the u that has been forgotten/left out in some American English words but is in the British English spelling.

Logged Logged
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:How do you punctuate? 8 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 57
Esparky wrote:
Interesting topic! I recommend the following article, which explores some of the differences: www.theguardian.com/media/mind-your-language/2011/may/19/mind-your-language-punctuation-quotations

LOL!

Thanks for the link.

Their 'logic' was totally lost on me for the punctuation inside the quotation marks.

I was taught the other way round.

Which said article, LOL, acknowledges is also true for Brits, but isn't necessarily right for the US, which is also right.

Geeze.

Half the time I think the academics argue about this crap because they're not sure what's right themselves.

X__x!!

~ Pyre

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2015/06/30 01:46 By Pyre.
inali
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:How do you punctuate? 8 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 58
With dialogue, it's comma within the quotations; if it's just a word/term in quotations, the comma on the outside. That's just how my grandmother brow beat grammar into us (she taught English and never understood why we didn't get near as excited about diagraming sentences as she did, either).

But it honestly doesn't bother me either way, as long as it's consistent. I take bigger issue with placing an entire conversation into one giant blob of a paragraph, than comma placement in quotes. And apostrophes on plurals, that's like nails on a chalkboard for me.

Logged Logged

I like researching stuffs...
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:How do you punctuate? 8 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 156
I too remember that the punctuation conventions are different in British and American English. I never stopped to think about it, really. I seem to have started to use the American convention of including the comma inside the quotations myself, which is really curious actually, given how I generally gravitate towards British English spellings and how it is also the opposite (i.e. outside the quotation marks) in my native language.

So technically, both ways are correct, just depends on which English you choose to write in. But like it's been pointed out, the real key is consistency.

Logged Logged
Emiko
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:How do you punctuate? 8 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 59
Speaking as one who (whom? Lol) is usually the reader . . . thank you so very much for just using basic punctuation at all! All too often (web-wide and fandom-wide) stories are posted unedited without a care for even the most basic corrections or proofreading. It really distracts from a story when one has to also decipher how exactly the tone or mood of the sentence is intended. Don't get me wrong, I have read some great stories by pushing through those omissions, but it can sometimes get difficult. I am not too picky, for I know writing a story at all is stress enough, but there are times where I just can't do it.

That being said, forgive the typos. Replying via smartphone is not very smart, lol.

Logged Logged
KEdakumi
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:How do you punctuate? 8 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 56
I've always put it in the quotes being that it's a pause in that sentence.... least I think that's why the teacher said to do it that way.... Great, now I'm going to be paying attention to how others do it.

Logged Logged

None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:How do you punctuate? 8 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 57
KEdakumi wrote:
I've always put it in the quotes being that it's a pause in that sentence.... least I think that's why the teacher said to do it that way.... Great, now I'm going to be paying attention to how others do it.

I know right!

Now I'm all actually not just reading, but studying the punctuation stuff too.

I'm ruined.

Reading will actually feel like work.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.