Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Best free program to use for writing?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Best free program to use for writing?
AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Best free program to use for writing? 8 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 23
Or one that isn't ridiculously expensive?

It's been three years since I've really written anything and am getting back into it. I use to use open office but now it isn't helping with correcting spelling errors. It literally tries to correct every single thing I type. I know I'm bad at spelling, but I'm not that bad.

If anyone has any suggestions for a good program to use that is either free or not expensive please let me know!

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Best free program to use for writing? 8 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 57
AmaViarra wrote:
Or one that isn't ridiculously expensive?

It's been three years since I've really written anything and am getting back into it. I use to use open office but now it isn't helping with correcting spelling errors. It literally tries to correct every single thing I type. I know I'm bad at spelling, but I'm not that bad.

If anyone has any suggestions for a good program to use that is either free or not expensive please let me know!

Did you get like all of the text in a document, as in every single line being underlined in red?

I did yesterday. After googling it was because when OpenOffice crashed it corrupted my user files that OpenOffice uses to determine what plugins and such are recognised by the Extension Manager, like your dictionaries and stuff.

You can fix it, but it's a long-winded approach so I just uninstalled it and downloaded LibreOffice, which is essentially the same as OpenOffice, being a freeware Office suite.

The OpenOffice plugins won't work in LibreOffice though, some do I think, but I've not tested it one hundred percent. I just get an error message on trying to install them in the LibreOffice Extension Manager.

Note that Libre was developed by the same peeps that created OpenOffice. It's just an offshoot.

Also it's also free and had free plugins and stuff like dictionaries. Though you'll have to search their Extensions online to find stuff.

Not too bad.

I'll be using it instead of OpenOffice.

~ Pyre

P.S: It takes some getting used too. Libre uses a slightly different GUI than OpenOffice. It's more similar to Microsoft Office in appearance. Also it resolved that problem with the underlined in red text. It spellchecks fine.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2015/04/08 01:29 By Pyre.
Emiko
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Best free program to use for writing? 8 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 59
I'm not sure if you're a student, but if you are:

Office 365 for Students: Must be a student of a participating school and have a verifiable school email address. If so, you can sign up for this free of charge. Supposedly there is a usage time limit, but I can't remember how long that is. But I just logged into my account and it's been active for about a year no charge. Plus, it gives you discounts for buying student version once free time is over.

Hoping you're a student and hoping this helps! *crosses fingers*

Logged Logged
AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Best free program to use for writing? 8 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 23
Thanks for the quick responses!

That is what it is doing and it's really annoying. I liked OpenOffice a lot when I used it before, I'll look into LibreOffice. Thanks again

@Emiko- I'm not a student Unforuntately (I'm going to go to school in a few months, but that'll be to become a certified dog trainer and I don't know if that'll count) Thanks though!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2015/04/08 01:47 By PRVN.
Miko Sayuri
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Best free program to use for writing? 8 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 3
I use Google Docs its free! It works great for me! I hope this helps!

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.