Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Updates Delayed: Mr. Lenny Stripeypants is dead
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Updates Delayed: Mr. Lenny Stripeypants is dead
naqaashi
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Updates Delayed: Mr. Lenny Stripeypants is dead 12 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 32
Just a little announcement I needed to make. Some of you may have wondered about the lack of updates in the past few days. Unfortunately, my computer (the aforementioned Mr. Stripeypants) has crashed.

The good news: I can access the internet on another machine I have, and I didn't lose any files since I'd backed up everything I wrote. Also, I am hopeful that my old laptop will be fixed in a few days' time.

The bad news: There is a possibility that Mr. Stripeypants will NOT get fixed. If that happens, I'll be in a soup, because all my fanfic files are backed up on an external USB storage drive and the machine I'm currently using belongs to the company I work for - so the USB access has been disabled on it. Hence, I can't modify the files, or copy them to the machine.

The breathe-don't-panic news: If Mr. Stripeypants is not fixable, I'll find a way to get my files to this machine. Either way, it will take a while. So there won't be any updates for a while; I don't know how long. Could be a few days, could be longer.

Let's hope that my lucky star shines and we don't have to wait over a week or ten days maximum. I just wanted to give you all a heads up about this, especially as I'm taking part in the Valentine's Day exchange, and I didn't want Madison to be worried. Don't worry, Maddie! If I'm still technologically crippled by the 10th of Feb, I'll let you know, so we can work something out.

In the meantime, I'm just praying for this weird messy tangle to get sorted out, because I am bored, annoyed, itching to write and dangerously close to drinking myself into oblivion if I don't get some fic-time soon!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2012/02/01 13:33 By naqaashi.

I claimed Sesshoumaru\'s dismembered left arm in the Dokuga Claim Game.

Master Weird-Outer of Dokuga. My tool of choice? A sentient sewing machine called Lord Ew that likes to spew technicoloured handkerchiefs embellished with the stuff that nightmares and crack-fics are made of.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Updates Delayed: Mr. Lenny Stripeypants is dead 12 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 277
AWWWW, NAQ!!!!

I'm so VERY sorry!

It's HORRIBLE to lose a dear friend like Mr. Lenny Stripeypants. Always a hassle to see if Tenseiga will work, isn't it?? Although, I kinda tend to doubt that your 'puter pros look anything like our Maru, do they? If so, I want directions, PRONTO!!

I remember all the tortures I've gone through during various computer ailments - it's never fun, always fraught with associated problems, and boring as all heck. I will cross all appendages in hopes that Mr. Lenny Stripeypants can be revived (with or without the Fang of Heaven)!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2012/02/01 13:45 By wiccanmethuselah. Reason: Can't even spell the stupid sword's name right today!

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Updates Delayed: Mr. Lenny Stripeypants is dead 12 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 156
Baaahhh! That sucks. I'm so so sorry to hear that naq! At least you were smart enough to keep back-ups! Props for that. ;3 I can only imagine what that's like, I'd be devastated if my lappy died!

I hope Mr.Stripeypants can be revived and this all clears up without any further messiness. Technology can be such a bitch at times...

Logged Logged
naqaashi
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Updates Delayed: Mr. Lenny Stripeypants is dead 12 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 32
@Wiccan: ::sobs:: I feel like a bloody widow. He was my first..everything, as far as personal tech goes. But I've got my fingers crossed, and so far the chances of revival look 50-50. I'd enlist Tenseiga to nurse him back to health, but I doubt even that sword can carry out major organ transplants - the entire hard disc blew out, you see.

@Chie: Yes, I got paranoid after seeing so many people lose all their work after a computer crash. Hence, my back-ups. I'm hopeful about Lenny too. I just hope things go right for the next week.

Logged Logged

Master Weird-Outer of Dokuga. My tool of choice? A sentient sewing machine called Lord Ew that likes to spew technicoloured handkerchiefs embellished with the stuff that nightmares and crack-fics are made of.
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Updates Delayed: Mr. Lenny Stripeypants is dead 12 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 277
*shudders*

Hard drive crashes are TEH EVOL!!! But! They can fix him... they can make him BETTER (*crosses fingers and can't type*)! Good thing you backed up stuffs, for sure. See? What have I been telling you all along about how very CLEVER you are?!

~~me~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

naqaashi
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Updates Delayed: Mr. Lenny Stripeypants is dead 12 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 32
WiccanMethuselah wrote:
*shudders*

Hard drive crashes are TEH EVOL!!! But! They can fix him... they can make him BETTER (*crosses fingers and can't type*)! Good thing you backed up stuffs, for sure. See? What have I been telling you all along about how very CLEVER you are?!

~~me~~

Actually, he is fixable - they need to replace the hard drive with a new one, is all. The problem is the OS - Lenny can only run Windows XP, which we all know isn't available in the market anymore. If this was regular hard drive replace, they would give me the OS for free, but since XP is obsolete - I may have to pay for it. If the service centre agrees to replace the disc without insisting on my buying the OS from them, then all shall be well.

If they refuse to do it unless I buy the XP, I'm afraid I'll have to euthanise Lenny. I simply cannot sink 8-10 grand rupees on an OS and antivirus for a laptop that is obsolete, will be out of warranty in a few months, and will not be renewed because it's already three years old and therefore on its last legs. If it comes to that, it will be a tough year or so while I save for a new computer, shifting files around in my email so I can still write, but I'll manage.

Logged Logged

Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Updates Delayed: Mr. Lenny Stripeypants is dead 12 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 156
Heh, paranoid is good sometimes. ;D I was paranoid few years back when writing my BA thesis - and now when I'm starting with my Master's thesis, I'll probably be just as paranoid. xD

Guess I should be just as paranoid with my fics, all the complete chapters and such are stored in 3 separate places, but the unfinished stuff only resides on my flash-drive.

Hopefully, though, replacing the hard-disk should be completely doable. So maybe Mr. Stripeypants will yet come back to life! ... Would that make him a zombie?

Logged Logged
naqaashi
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
@Chie: Please read my response to Wiccan, in the post above to see about the actual hard drive issue. XD

Logged Logged

Lyss
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Updates Delayed: Mr. Lenny Stripeypants is dead 12 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 3
I'm sorry about your computer problems and I hope everything works out for you!

I have Windows XP as well... :/

Logged Logged

Lyss has claimed Kagomes Archery Skills in The Claim Game!

I stood by everything I loved while you never understood me much -C&C
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Well... dang.

I still have my old XP Pro CD... want me to send it to you??? Except the darn thing only has SP1 on it. But I'd send it, just for you!!! Dunno how long that might take, but I'd do it if it would get you back up and running without all the hassle.

I had a similar problem this time last year when my poor overworked desktop fried on me... couldn't use XP anymore and had to go with Win7... I don't like it. *sigh* Darn Microsoft robber barons and their idiotic tendency to make new Operating Systems every few years!!!!!

~~me~~

Logged Logged

naqaashi
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
@Wiccan: I know right? Stupid Microsoft. >.< I am so going to buy a Mac next time, even if it takes me a whole year to save enough for one. ::grumbles::

@Lyss: Thanks. And yeah...better make sure you save your XP cd.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2012/02/01 16:28 By naqaashi.

naqaashi
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
The return of Mr. Stripeypants 12 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 32
UPDATE!!!!

The tech people called - I'm getting my laptop back tomorrow! ::dances:: Hopefully, it will be in working condition - and I can begin writing and updating again!

JHGVUY&^%&RFUJugvuyfgwuitr2786jvUJVU^&**O0996721@#$%))jnjgfhchgfutgyHGFYTDRESKJOIJ NJ

That was me going mad. I'm so happy...I've been going quietly nuts with frustration, not being able to write. It's been over two weeks since I wrote a single word. @_@

Logged Logged

Aurora Antheia Raine
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Updates Delayed: Mr. Lenny Stripeypants is dead 12 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 24
YAAAAAAAAY!!!! Congrats, Naq!! Now you can have your sanity back! Super happy for you!! =)

Logged Logged

The Hatter Theory
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Updates Delayed: Mr. Lenny Stripeypants is dead 12 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 14
*cuddles Naq*

I'm sososososososososososo happy right now. I've been going through withdrawals. My soul is saved! More Naq writing!

Logged Logged

I need something that will give me the stamina of a young werewolf, the vision of a shaman, the thoughts of a serial killer, and the gentleness of a hungry vampire bat.
Lyss
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Updates Delayed: Mr. Lenny Stripeypants is dead 12 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 3
@naqaashi - I think I still have that! I'm just praying my computer lasts this final semester... I got the blue screen today..

Also congrats on getting your computer back soon! Good luck - I hope it's all fixed!

Logged Logged

naqaashi
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Not So Lucky - Mr. Stripeypants is STILL dead 12 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 32
Guys, bad news. I got a call from the tech guys today - apparently the motherboard is also damaged. So they'll have to send for the part - again. Which will take a week - again. I mean, they're SAYING they'll try to get it done by Saturday, but experience tells me it will take way more time. Cuz, you know...they said that last time too.

Yeah...life is not looking good for the naq. I am going to beg a giant favour from one of my colleagues today and pray I can get my files on the system I'm currently using. Else naq's brain will be found, twitching and foaming, haunting the corridors of chat in vicious misery.

I'm going to have the worst weekend of the year. No laptop on the day I need a laptop most.

::bursts into desperate tears::

@Theia: ::weak smile::

@Hat: I'm so sorry. But...I'll try my best, but unless some miracle happens and I get my files here, no updates.

@Lyss: - Please, please, please get your computer checked - I didn't pay attention to the blue screens, and look how I'm paying for it.

Logged Logged

The Hatter Theory
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Not So Lucky - Mr. Stripeypants is STILL dead 12 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 14
*Cuddles the Naq*

I* can be patient, just please, please, pretty please don't burst into flame. I want my Naq non crispy and able to smile when things do go better for her computer.

Logged Logged

I need something that will give me the stamina of a young werewolf, the vision of a shaman, the thoughts of a serial killer, and the gentleness of a hungry vampire bat.
Lyss
Whelp
graphgraph
Oh no!!! But they can fix it, so there's hope! I understand though, I don't know what I would do if my laptop did that too... sit in the library all day *shudders and cringes* the horror!!

Thanks for the advice - you're absolutely right! I did get in touch with my parents' computer guy they've been going to for years and he said to just restart it and if it happens again to worry. T_T It makes scary noises sometimes...

Logged Logged

naqaashi
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
@Hat: ::cuddles back:: I'll survive, even if I begin to smoke a bit at the edges.

@Lyss: @_@ I really hope it doesn't blimp again. If it does, I'll be praying for you, first in line.

Logged Logged

Lyss
Whelp
graphgraph
Thanks!

I'm praying for you! Hang in there!

Logged Logged

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.