Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
The Culture Challenge Japan Edition
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
This thread is a place to post all challenges. All challenges on this site need to be SessKag. If you have any questions contact a moderator.
Go to bottom Favoured: 1
TOPIC: The Culture Challenge Japan Edition
Wunderberry
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The Culture Challenge Japan Edition 10 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 17
The Culture Challenge, Japan Edition. What the heck Rin-Rin is probably what ya’ll are thinking (I am not southern, I just use lots of abbreviations). First off, the title is kind of self-explanatory. It’s about culture, particularly Japanese in this instance. Second off, I think bring some culture to the stories on Dokuga would be nice. I love history and foreign countries but it’s either Japan or America that most stories on this site are set in, and unless it’s not set in a historical period, basically whatever the anime/manga showed you is the setting of stories (I’m not knocking people who do this, I’m guilty here too) and whatever culture with maybe some pocky thrown in. So, let’s bring a little more background to our settings and in future incarnations, take things international. Though for now, I’ll start with Japan since that is the setting in canon.

So with the lengthy intro out of the way, rules and a little more explanation is in order.

I already explained where the idea came from, but you really don’t know what to expect do you? Well it’s simple. Each week, I’ll upload a ton of prompts based around a theme. I’m starting with art but there are eras, food, religion, festivals, etc. I have an entire section for things related to geisha for Christ’s sake! So, with that said, there are a lot of prompts. Culture is a huge concept and contains a lot of topics. So, can you complete the challenge? You don’t have too, even I’m like how on earth would someone be able to do that but hey, it’s in the realm of possibilities.
So, onto rules.

• Any rating goes. K-M, all is loved.
• Your use of the theme can be vague or very blatant. As long as I can tell that you used it, I’m fine.
• Drabbles, one-shots, chapter stories, etc., are all welcome. Karma for chapter stories but either way, any entry is loved. No word count.
• You can combine prompts as long as both are clearly used. Anime and manga can be combined in one entry. Please though, just limit to two per thousand words. If your entry doesn’t top a thousand, please no more than just two. If it doesn’t top two thousand, please limit it to four. That’s my only catch with this one.
• No bashing culture! Please, if you make it out to be stupid because it’s your own belief, just stop. Now, if it was a tradition of the past people nowadays laugh at in their own country, that’s okay. If you’re writing a foreigner who thinks their culture is stupid but the characters have no reason to themselves, that’s fine. If that is something that the character is in the minority about even though the rest of their culture loves it, that’s fine. Just don’t hate to hate, kay?
• Some topics may lean more towards a MA rating and if so, I’ll warn. If you’re a minor, you don’t have to do those ones. And some topics can be triggering such as Comfort Women (MA to the extreme!!!). All things that can trigger or really can’t be even researched without MA material, I will warn out the buttocks.
• For those poor saps that do complete all the prompts, there is a banner. Go ahead grab it and then celebrate.
• There is no time limit and the story can be new or existing.
• Prompts can be done out of order. If Ukiyo-e strikes you before Haniwa, go right on ahead.
• Anything else, just ask.

All research will have to be done by you. Sorry, I’ve had to do so much for this challenge that surmising it would be a nightmare for me. Even if you use a quick scan of a Wikipedia article, I’ll be happy. Just do a little research before you attempt writing about the prompt. It’s not a rule but I’m going to roll me eyes and correct you in a review.

Arts:

Eras:

Food Part 1:

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/11/13 03:52 By Wunderberry.

The administrator has disabled public write access.
Luna C.
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:The Culture Challenge Japan Edition 10 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 9
This seems really interesting! I was wondering if there was a time limit and if it has to be a new story?

Logged Logged
Wunderberry
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:The Culture Challenge Japan Edition 10 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 17
Ugh, knew I was forgetting something. No, there is no time limit and it can be a new or existing story.

Hope your still interested.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/10/30 11:17 By Wunderberry. Reason: D'oh!

Luna C.
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:The Culture Challenge Japan Edition 10 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 9
I am, probably gonna make a new story for this, I just need to think how I'm going to organize these prompts into my story lol.

Logged Logged
Wunderberry
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:The Culture Challenge Japan Edition 10 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 17
Cool!

Yeah, I thought about since the moment this challenge popped into my mind. How is anyone going to write multiple parts that would cohesively fit together unless it was a chapter story (not that anyone has to write that!!!).

Logged Logged

Wunderberry
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:The Culture Challenge Japan Edition 10 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 17
The next set of prompt (Eras) has been added to the main post.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/11/13 03:53 By Wunderberry.

Wunderberry
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:The Culture Challenge Japan Edition 10 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 17
Food Part 1 has been added to the main post.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/11/13 03:53 By Wunderberry.

UnknownRandomness
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:The Culture Challenge Japan Edition 10 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 14
Wow, there are a LOT of prompts, Rin-Rin! I was just wondering, do you have all of the prompts planned out, and if so, how many are there? Because I have a chapter story in the works that might be improved by these awesome prompts, and I really would like to do all of them, but it may not be feasible.
Thanks

Logged Logged
Wunderberry
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:The Culture Challenge Japan Edition 10 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 17
There are a lot, I seriously lost count. I got side-tracked and really went for detail but I think I'll make a banner that say "I attempted Rin-Rin's Culture Challenge Japan Edition... but I'm human. But you don't have to do them all in order nor do you have to all of them. Feel free to pick and choose.

No, doing all of them would probably not be feasible unless you have a million plot twists and are going for having the most chapters ever.

Anyways... thanks for reminding about this thing. I had a migraine and then never started back up on banners. Sigh.

Logged Logged

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.