Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Catfish
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Catfish
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Catfish 9 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 78
I got this story idea, the problem is, I haven't felt like writing for a long time. I wonder if anyone else would like to try this: the movie "Catfish". In the real movie, Nev is an awesome-looking young photographer who shares office space in NYC with his brother, and his brother's friend, who make creative films. Nev's brother loves to film Nev, who is amazingly photogenic, so when something big happens in Nev's life, it gets made into a documentary. Nev has a photo published in a major publication, and receives a paining of this photo, supposedly from an 8-year-old girl who is an artistic prodegy. Of course, I started picturing Sesshomaru playing the part of Nev, with InuYasha and Miroku as the brother and the friend. In "Catfish", Nev makes the acquaintence of the little girl's family, including her beautiful sister, Meg and their mother, but only via social media, or sometimes, the phone. Nev falls in love with Meg over the phone and internet. The problem starts to become obvious as the months go by: the pictures are not painted by the little girl but by her mother, and Meg, I gather, doesn't exist at all. In my mind, I thought, what if there was racism (species-ism?) between demons and humans, and Kagome lives in the upper peninsula of Michigan, like the family Nev gets involved with, but what she is hiding is the fact that she is human. Humans, in my re-imagining of the story, are treated as inferior to demons, at least away from the big urban centers, like NYC or LA. In the big cities, humans and demons interact, as demonstrated by Sess being friends with Miroku, a human, and InuYasha, who is bi-species. Does anyone think this is a good idea for a story? Want to give it a try?

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Nicole
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Catfish 9 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 154
I've not seen the movie, but it does sound like an interesting enough story.
Clarification 1: is Kagome the little girl/Meg/mother that Sesshomaru is really interacting with online?
Clarification 2: how are humans supposed to disguise themselves as demons...? It'll be interesting to see how you manage it.

Logged Logged
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Catfish 9 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 78
In my imagination, I see the only thing Kagome's lying about is here species. I'm really thinking of the division between demons and humans as similar to the way things were in the US, in the 1960s. In the more creative circles, away from the bible-belt or the south, inter-racial relationships were regarded as avante-gard, for the hip and cool, while in small-town America, not so much. Even in real life, people in isolated places like Michigan's Upper Peninsula, if they are not economically stable or have family responsibilities, so they are not able to travel or leave, lead a life people in big cities could not even imagine, even today. I don't think Kagome would even begin to consider the idea of disguising herself. She just would want to reach out, and imagine a different life, even if she had to deny herself the possibility of it ever becoming reality.

Logged Logged
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Catfish 9 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 78
I didn't state this correctly: Kagome is just her human self, everywhere but on the internet, where she is lying about her species, like people in our universe lie about their weight, age, or marital status. In her real life, at home, she is a human, and most of the people in her community would be human as well. Just as there are very, very few people in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan who are not either white or Native American demons would be a real minority, and getting together with one would be viewed as just not done, by either side.

Logged Logged
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Catfish 9 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 156
I think it is an interesting idea and definitely has a story potential.

I've been plotting an online romance story myself for years and years but for some reason haven't really got into writing it yet. The premise is very different from yours, though, so it would be interesting to see how your story pans out! I like the idea of both of them being artistic people, photographing and painting.

Logged Logged
Nicole
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Catfish 9 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 154
Gotcha! That makes sense.

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.