Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottom
TOPIC: LAN?
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
LAN? 10 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 78
I was trying to un-mute the speakers on my computer, and I don't see as well as I used to. Instead of the speakers, I brought up the LAN status on my computer. Being incredibly paranoid, I started thinking that LAN had something to do with wireless connectivity. Now, please, bear in mind that I'm not a child of the digital age, so pardon my extreme lack of knowledge. At one time, I had a wireless router on this computer, but disconnected it and got rid of it, because even with help, I couldn't get it to cooperate when I tried to protect it from outside users, and it made me VERY UNEASY. The tech we use at my work recently told me that this used to be a problem with the specific wireless router I had installed. So now, I just have the modem box from the cable company, and hopefully, no device for wireless connectivity, cause I disconnected it and sent it to be recycled. Should my computer be telling me that I'm connected to a Local Area Network? Don't laugh at me!

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
CritterWhisperer
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:LAN? 10 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 47
Yes, the LAN is the non-wireless internet connection for your computer, so you should be connected to it.

Logged Logged

I tagged . . . err, claimed Sesshoumaru's cute, elfin ears in the Dokuga Claiming Game
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:LAN? 10 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 78
That's a relief! Thanks, CritterWhisperer!

Logged Logged
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:LAN? 10 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 57
Yups, Critter's right, internet is usually provided in two ways to your PC, dependent on the tech specs. If your PC is relatively modern, as in less than 15 years old, you'll likely be using a mixture of LAN and wireless access.

LAN or the Local Area Network settings use a Ethernet or Network cable to connect between a router/modem and the PC.

The wireless network settings mostly use WIFI or wireless frequencies to provide internet connectivity, provided that your modem supports it, and your PC has an internal wireless access card installed, although if you use Windows, and look inside Device Manager, your PC will call that wireless card a wireless network adapter, which is the same thing.

If you want to use 'hardline' LAN connection for your internet use at home, and you have a LAN/Wireless modem/router, just use an ethernet cable to plug in between your PC and the modem, keep the wireless turned off, and disable your wireless card inside your PC.

You can google how to do this, just keep in mind that not every PC uses Windows, as some use Linux, which will have different ways of doing this.

Stay safe out there.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.