Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Is it just me?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Is it just me?
1CarinoInu
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Is it just me? 12 Years ago Karma: 9
Okay, don't laugh. So it's been at least 20 years since I've picked up a romance novel. I hadn't started really reading books again until my daughter introduced me to the Twilight Series.

After that, I discovered the world of Fanfiction. Now, while there are a number of stories I'm following, having pretty much read all I am from the archives, I've picked up my dirty little reading habit once again.

The only difference now is that after each chapter I want to review and comment on the aspects of the chapter. "Oh, he didn't just DO that to her and get away with it, did he?"

Oh yes, I want to review so bad it hurts. Has anyone else come across this? Wanting to review after chapters of any other reading material? I'd be curious if reviewers of Fanfiction have the same compulsion.

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Kyndred Raven
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Is it just me? 12 Years ago Karma: 22
I know exactly what you mean!

I used to edit stories for my friends. Now, I've developed a habit of wanting to express my opinion about every chapter that I read in actual books. I guess it comes from being able to speak to the original author and ask him/her whatever comes to mind.

Now that I have a beta for my story, he does the same thing. He told me that the first thing he did after picking up a book was think about what he was going to say to the author.

You're not alone!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2012/04/01 03:34 By kyndred_raven.

12345c
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Is it just me? 11 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 9
I tend to stop reading every once in awhile and actually talk to the book...Telling it how the characters should and shouldn't be behaving. I have no idea if I did this before coming across fanfiction, seeing that I started reading ff when I was in seventh or eighth grade. However, I don't really think this is a bad thing ^-^ To me, it means I'm interacting with the material. How boring would it be if you just read it? I like my way better!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2012/04/22 15:27 By 12345c.
1CarinoInu
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Is it just me? 11 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 9
LOL, that is Awesome, Clio! Who says books aren't interactive?

Thank you both, Restless Quill and Clio for replying

Logged Logged
JeniNeji
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Is it just me? 11 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 21
O_O

Is that bad? Like... comment about the characters of the story? >_> <_<

I do it sometimes... not like.. "You must not let him get away with this!" or anything... but yeah. Sometimes I say "Uh oh, I don't think this will end in anything good" or "Kagome, I'm with you! Don't cry!"

If that's... bad, sorry world! I didn't mean anything bad! The thing that capture me the most is the plot of the story... like I can't see/focus on anything else so when I comment is about that...

<_< >_>

Logged Logged

Sine48
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Is it just me? 11 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 1
Hello, everyone. I'm a lurker in the shadows, but a friendly one.

I don't think it has anything to do with fanfiction. Just with well written material regardless of it's genre.

For me, I think the desire to review after every chapter, or perhaps just discuss events with the author, says that writer succeeded in that elusive desire to engage you emotionally (and beyond)as all good writers should. You care enough about someone/something going on in that story to sacrifice your precious time in thinking, analyzing, feeling, etc., the words you've read. To get that response is an honor not taken lightly and not strange at all.

As a writer of the dreaded Historical Romance (and a one time fanfic author), I can only hope to one day get the kind of responses you guys have mentioned to one of my novels.

I'd say those authors are doing a good job and should be proud of their creations.

Sine

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.