Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
What Good Fanfiction is Made of
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom Favoured: 1
  • Page:
  • << Start < Prev 1 2 Next > End >>
TOPIC: What Good Fanfiction is Made of
Priestess Skye
Darth Skye
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
What Good Fanfiction is Made of 15 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 696975
Okay, so looking at the pet peeves thread, I decided I didn't like it because it was filled with too much negativity. Negativity is not conducive to writing good fanfiction. So the point of this thread is to look at the positive. I want to know what it is about fanfiction that draws you to it. When you read a fanfic and you love it, why? I don't want to hear 'i can't read stories that have this' but 'i enjoy stories that have this quality because...'

I will start.

Simplicity.

I enjoy a good story that's simple to read and simple to follow. I have long days that expend much of my brain energy so to come home to a story that's an easy read, easy to follow and doesn't require me to think is a dream come true. It's probably why I like to write drabbles. I can take a single moment and expand on it.

Logged Logged

I claimed Sesshoumaru\'s Mokomoko-sama at the Claiming Thread!
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
emmaren
*Supporter
graphgraph
Re:What Good Fanfiction is Made of 15 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 10
I like the journey.

I want the characters to grow and evolve. So anything with character growth makes me happy.

emmaren

Logged Logged
piratequeen0405
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:What Good Fanfiction is Made of 15 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 9
I like strong, complex characters whose motivations and actions are realistic and well explained. I don't need to like a character necessarily, but his or her behavior should make sense and not leave me scratching my head.

Logged Logged
ladybattousai
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:What Good Fanfiction is Made of 15 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: -666
I really appreciate this thread. Even though I am supremely thankful for the positive feedback after my concerned wimper in the pet peeve thread, it's good to know what it is that people enjoy when reading fanfiction. What draws them to it.

I haven't read a whole lot of fanfiction, but I can tell you what I like about writing it and that's the feeling of these very stylized and almost cartoonish characters taking on descriptions that fit real people. Lips, noses, brows, skin... When I write it, I imagine a person that I could stand next to, someone I could meet. Not someone who has a line for a nose and a dash for a mouth.

It's really enjoyable.

Logged Logged

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Possessed
Pup
graphgraph
Re:What Good Fanfiction is Made of 15 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
I like good characterization that stays true throughout, not withstanding growth. Your character can grow as a person, and still retain their core values.
I like a plot that is well thought-out, and leaves you guessing about what's coming next, but it should not be overly complex.
I like some detail, but give me credit for having some imagination.
I like anticipation, and as emmaren said, the journey.
I like regular updates... people... Don't leave me for 6 mths., waiting to see what happens next!
I like a happy ending! Sappy, I know, but still...

Logged Logged
Mistress Sianna
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:What Good Fanfiction is Made of 15 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 26
I like journeys too. I like a story that keeps you guessing, and on the edge of your seat. Either due to dramatic suspense, or great fight scenes.

Of course, I like well written, non-vulgar citrus, but it is not a requirement for a good story.

I also like realistic villians. Not just an all around hateful, evil entity, but one who is simply misguided, or seeking revenge. I think it requires more thought, and insight to create such a villan, and I find it more interesting to read.

Also, I love happy endings!

Logged Logged

Pfft! I was gonna stop procrastinating, but I never got around to it.
Priestess Skye
Darth Skye
graphgraph
Re:What Good Fanfiction is Made of 15 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 696975
ooh realistic villains can be some of the scariest too.

Besides simplicity, i also like a plot that keeps me guessing. Unpredictability keeps me on my toes. Thats when i have time to sit and spend reading a fanfic for a bit.

Logged Logged

I claimed Sesshoumaru\'s Mokomoko-sama at the Claiming Thread!
piratequeen0405
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:What Good Fanfiction is Made of 15 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 9
Priestess Skye wrote:

Besides simplicity, i also like a plot that keeps me guessing. Unpredictability keeps me on my toes. Thats when i have time to sit and spend reading a fanfic for a bit.

I love being thrown for a loop as well. Especially if it is foreshadowed and one can tell it was not just something added at the last minute. I think most readers secretly like cliffhangers; I am an unrepentant fan of them.

Logged Logged
Possessed
Pup
graphgraph
If they update more often than once a year! My fingers can only hold on for so long before they start getting sweaty and slip!

Logged Logged
Mamasama
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:What Good Fanfiction is Made of 15 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 16
Emmaren hit it. It's the journey that the characters travel. I can never remain interested in a story where the author puts out too soon. I almost feel cheated.

I love epic fan-fics. A good example is 'Sword of Supreme Conquest' or 'Tales from the House of the Moon.' the character growth in both of those stories was highly engrossing.

I like a fic that makes me really CARE about the characters. I'm able to do that if the situation is something I can relate to or BELIEVE.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2008/09/10 17:16 By Mamasama. Reason: wanted to add to post

Amy
Mamasama

Nobody
Pup
graphgraph
I have to agree with everything everyone has said. I love the characters Kagome and Sesshomaru even though their personalities tend to have their strong points for some reason the growth that they go through is so engrossing.

I have read other fanfiction and find in mildly boring. I love the complexity that the authors have to go through to throw these two together. Even in AU they are polar opposites yet their values are similar. SO finding situations for them to fall into is always so interesting.

Such as 7 feudal fairy tails, talk about creativity. Yet somehow it works so well. I love the cliffhangers as well.

Logged Logged
Eternity_of_Sins
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:What Good Fanfiction is Made of 15 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 1
The endless possibilities of Alternate Universes tempts my soul. Creating unique scenarios and seeing how the characters play out their roles holds an eternity of enjoyment for my imagination.

And when creating unexpected scenes, it's fun to mess with peoples' minds.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2008/09/10 19:01 By EternalSorrow.

wawa
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:What Good Fanfiction is Made of 15 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 10
I like humor in stories. When I come home from a bad day and read a funny story, it puts me in a better mood.

Logged Logged

If the zombies chase us, I’m tripping you
Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:What Good Fanfiction is Made of 15 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 54
Attracting my eye is pretty simple, have a good summary, decent grammar and originality. Good character development, staying on track with the story line and throwing in a curve ball now and then will keep me interested.

Logged Logged

I claimed Tenseiga`s resurrection power!
ElegantPaws
*~Daiyoukai~*
graphgraph
Re:What Good Fanfiction is Made of 15 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 11
First, excellent thread.

For me, a well crafted story line that allows the characters depth and shows growth not merely a regurgitation of RTs universe to a fault. The entire point, imho, of writing the fiction is to extend beyond where the original genius did.

Key qualities:

Humour
Sensuality
Originality
Ethnic awareness, some of us do read for the differences, this makes for interesting and adds colour and life.
Character growth

Thank you for this thread Priestess Skye. It is most enjoyable to see what it is that keeps we readers coming back for more.

EP:lol:

Logged Logged

Langus
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:What Good Fanfiction is Made of 15 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 6
Yes thank you this was much needed! Dokuga has been redeemed

Myself I like to see character growth. In the series we only see so much of what they could be, just the barest of potential really, but through fan fiction we are able to flesh them out into creations that are alive and breathing. We make them real, help them to develop and grow as people and ultimately set them on their way.

With fan fiction there are so many endless possibilities for change. I can't not love it

Edit: Awe Mamasama thanks for the support *hugs*

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2008/09/11 09:45 By Langus.

[img] http://fc65.deviantart.com/fs40/f/2009/031/4/4/441a265f509fa2446485eec83c5450ec.jpg [/img]
Akumi
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:What Good Fanfiction is Made of 15 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 6
Of course I agree with everything that has been stated before, but what I most love about fan fiction, and this may be more from the writer's stand point, but I love the way you can get drawn into a character. The way it makes you feel like someone else understands. How, even thought you know they aren't real, you feel a connection to them. Simply by reading the character's story, or writting it. It's an amazing feeling. Most people don't think this way, but for me, reading is a way to express my feelings just as writting is. When you read that story with that line that hits you to the core, when you finish that paragraph with tears in your eyes, when you laugh so hard you have trouble breathing. That is what it's all about for me. The simple and raw emotion a fan fiction can envoke in you. It's worth hours of no sleep. Which is why I take pride in writting. If I can get to only one person, if I can make one person cry or laugh with my words, then I have done something that will stay with me for the rest of my life. Touching another person's life through your words, through the characters you create, that's what it's all there for. Knowing someone out there is reading your thoughts and feels them. There's nothing better to me than that.

Haha. This has gotten rather long. Sorry. - Akumi <3

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Dreams are the true reality in which nature can not decay.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
twiknham
Pup
graphgraph
First, a believable plot. Even completely unbelievable AU's are fine as long as they are written believably. Second, humor keeps me coming back. I'll even come back to poorly written fics if there is believable humor. Not everyone can be funny AND write well. Third, I actually enjoy sub-character development. We tend to gloss over the other people that made the series but aren't the main ones. For example, I once read a GREAT fiction that brought Jinenji to the front and developed his sweet self. He wasn't the main character but he did get some growth time. Last, I want my five senses engaged. I want to taste what they are eating, smell what they are smelling, feel what they are touching, etc....

Logged Logged
Lilium
Pup
graphgraph
Re:What Good Fanfiction is Made of 15 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0
I hate when a story goes to fast. When it doesn't have any growth, it doesn't flow. I also like long stories. I like staying up all night letting my imagination run wild. Humor is also very important, and a little bickering here and there. The story most importantly has to be believable. Not to over the top. I like a few OOC's too, not much though. I LIKE MI SESSHOU UNTAMED!!WOW....where'd that come from?!?!

Logged Logged

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world."
Lilium
Pup
graphgraph
I love stories that hit me at the core.You know when you just finished reading a chapter or the story and the last sentence just makesyou burst out crying? I love that felling. To me a great story is when I can't hold my feelings in. When you look back and you're like WOW this story made me cry, or this story was so uplifting. Good stories are when you can really connect to the characters and really feel their emotions like your own. Of course you need a brilliant author to make a brilliant story too!!

Logged Logged

Lilium
Pup
graphgraph
Akumi wrote:
Of course I agree with everything that has been stated before, but what I most love about fan fiction, and this may be more from the writer's stand point, but I love the way you can get drawn into a character. The way it makes you feel like someone else understands. How, even thought you know they aren't real, you feel a connection to them. Simply by reading the character's story, or writting it. It's an amazing feeling. Most people don't think this way, but for me, reading is a way to express my feelings just as writting is. When you read that story with that line that hits you to the core, when you finish that paragraph with tears in your eyes, when you laugh so hard you have trouble breathing. That is what it's all about for me. The simple and raw emotion a fan fiction can envoke in you. It's worth hours of no sleep. Which is why I take pride in writting. If I can get to only one person, if I can make one person cry or laugh with my words, then I have done something that will stay with me for the rest of my life. Touching another person's life through your words, through the characters you create, that's what it's all there for. Knowing someone out there is reading your thoughts and feels them. There's nothing better to me than that.

Haha. This has gotten rather long. Sorry. - Akumi <3

You are truly right.

Logged Logged

Lady Scheherazadea
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:What Good Fanfiction is Made of 15 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 6
I concur with ElegantPaws, Akumi, and TK. I love the journey and if there is action apart of that journey it makes it all the more interesting. I love it when Kagome is given some ability to defend herself. I absolutely love humor in a story, I don't think I can express that enough. I really like it when an author is so in tune with Sesshoumaru's arrogance and aloofness, it just cracks me up because he is literally in a world of his own, of course when its meant to be funny. I also love a good fic where the two are fighting to the very end to get together or stay together, there is always some (believable) obstacle in their way. A good example is Twisted Hearts, love that! I love fics that keep that deep Inu/Kag friendship. I don't know if anyone else does this or if it is some weird quirk of mine but I try to figure out an author's personality from how they write.

Logged Logged

“Playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won\\\'t feel insecure around you.”

~Marianne Williamson
Onliime
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:What Good Fanfiction is Made of 15 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 10
One of my favorite things is when a bad guy is made into a good guy. like naraku for example most stories have him as the evil bad guy and sometimes its refreshing to see him portrayred in another way. i mean its fun to read a story that ignores all the characters stereotypical roles provided that the author of that story knows how to subtly make characters ooc.

Logged Logged

INUYASHA\\\'S DOGGY EARS ARE MINE! I claimed them in The Claiming Game.
Kira Cross
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:What Good Fanfiction is Made of 15 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 9
i do like journy, and something that is given time and that is clear with thier intent, i have read stories that spontaniously throw in things that are a part of the major story that didn't make sense or even from the begining didn't make sense at all. Clearity is a major for me if i cannot follow the story i will stop reading it.

another thing is how it is posted/written, if it is just one big paragrap my ADHD kicks in an i'm off following a butterfly. or if thier is too many grammer mistakes i is kinda a turn off, (i do understand that people have a hard time with grammer i do too but if it is too much it is hard for me to read) also TEXT GRAMMER i hate it, it is an insult to the english language when someone writes a story in TEXT

i hope i wasn't too harsh but i hope this helps someone out.

Logged Logged
Trouble_In_Shangri_la
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:What Good Fanfiction is Made of 14 Years ago Karma: 8
Necroposting, but maybe newbs like me will have fun adding their two cents.

My favorites are legitimately taking a tough character and exposing his vulnerability. It's a theme that shows up in my fics a lot. I love it especially when people LEARN from it, and either after a death or after that walk through a living hell, they are stronger for it even though they think they can't survive the situation as it's happening.

Logged Logged

Go to top
  • Page:
  • << Start < Prev 1 2 Next > End >>

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.