Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Earthquake
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Earthquake
Aurora Antheia Raine
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Earthquake 13 Years ago Karma: 24
WiccanMethuselah wrote:
If anyone was willing the do the legwork and coordination on something like that, it sounds like a wonderful idea to me... after all, we exist because Ms. Takahashi, in Japan, made our whole terrific universe, right?

I will consult with our other Admins but, in the meantime, if anyone is willing to take on something of this nature, please let me know, 'k?

~~Wiccan~~

I've never planned an online raffle (or anything of the sort) to raise money before, but since it was Tiegrsi's idea and she has the experience... if she is willing to work on it, I am more than willing to help her with it in return. Additionally, if someone else wanted to take this on, I am willing to help as well. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm willing to chip in my assistance with the event, if we do it, as long as I'm not the only one doing the legwork because, otherwise, I'll be completely lost.

Just let me know if something like this gets approved by the other Admins. =)

Logged Logged

The administrator has disabled public write access.
Langus
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Earthquake 13 Years ago Karma: 6
Ryan Seacrest has posted up on his blog/twitter some ways you can help those in Japan if you are looking for a way to do so:

Ways that You Can Help

Thank you for keeping Japan in your thoughts and prayers. There have been more earthquakes and volcanic eruptions this morning. It's not a good day for Japan.

Logged Logged

[img] http://fc65.deviantart.com/fs40/f/2009/031/4/4/441a265f509fa2446485eec83c5450ec.jpg [/img]
WildcatYST
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Earthquake 13 Years ago Karma: 2
My boyfriend is half Japanese and we've been desperately trying to get a hold of everyone in his family. They live close to the epicenter and I can't tell you how stressful it was earlier this morning waiting to hear from them. Thankfully, everyone is accounted for. His uncle is stuck in his office as the trains are all shut down, and his family is sleeping in a van because it still isn't safe to be in buildings due to aftershock threats. I'm still worried about all of the subsequent quakes and I think this weekend is going to be a long one...

This is just so sad. I'm praying for all those who weren't as fortunate as we were and are grieving the loss of loved ones.

Logged Logged
Konekotsukino
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Earthquake 13 Years ago Karma: 0
I've been hearing about it all day and I only just got to look at the footage as well as read the articles a little over an hour ago. My thoughts and prayers are going out there to everyone in japan as well as other places effected by this earthquake.

For anyone interested here is a link to a blog titled fandom fights tsunami its for authors of all fandoms.

Link: Fandom Fights Tsunami

about: "Whether you are an author dedicating your time and your words, or a donator, you are ALL amazing. By donating a minimum of $5 you will have access to a compilation of stories and poems by amazing authors. These stories are going to be from all different kinds of fandoms; not just twilight. So if you want to write for Harry Potter, Hunger Games or write your own original fiction, we need you! All stories will be due by May 1st."

There is a sign up sheet for authors. I got this link from a friend of mine. When you select the sign up sheet there is no preselected option for anime, so you will need to select other and then type in the fandom you are writing the story in, if you choose to do Inuyasha if you sign up.

I thought this would be an interesting way for people to help out if anyone here was looking to help, and I didn't see a link posted yet so I thought I would post it.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/03/12 01:26 By konekotsukino. Reason: link not showing
Itsumademo
Pup
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Earthquake 13 Years ago Karma: 8
Write Hope for Japan is a facebook event, much like "To Write Love on Her Arms", but instead of 'Love' you write 'Hope' on either your arm or hand. Filling in the "o" with red.

The event spans the entire month of March. There are also ways to help/donate listed on the page.
I personally have donated to several groups now and know of a few places that are taking larger donations online.

I don't know if this is really helping or not. :/

Logged Logged
Itsumademo
Pup
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Earthquake 13 Years ago Karma: 8
I have heard of that Fandom writing donations. They have raised thousands of dollars before, most notably when the disaster in Haiti hit they did one and it went very well.

Logged Logged
Konekotsukino
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Earthquake 13 Years ago Karma: 0
yes they did. The friend who gave me the link participated in that one I believe, or at least donated. I know she has participated in previous ones from others as well. She writes and beta's for the twilight fandom.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/03/12 01:37 By konekotsukino. Reason: grammer and spelling
Tiegrsi
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Earthquake 13 Years ago Karma: 1
Konekotsukino wrote:

For anyone interested here is a link to a blog titled fandom fights tsunami its for authors of all fandoms.

Link: Fandom Fights Tsunami

about: "Whether you are an author dedicating your time and your words, or a donator, you are ALL amazing. By donating a minimum of $5 you will have access to a compilation of stories and poems by amazing authors. These stories are going to be from all different kinds of fandoms; not just twilight. So if you want to write for Harry Potter, Hunger Games or write your own original fiction, we need you! All stories will be due by May 1st."

Oh, that's cool! What a good idea.

And to this: Write Hope for Japan is a facebook event, much like "To Write Love on Her Arms", but instead of 'Love' you write 'Hope' on either your arm or hand. Filling in the "o" with red.

I just tried to find the event, or at least some news about it, and haven't seen anything. :/ Do you have a link to a FB page or news article?

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/03/12 08:06 By Tiegrsi.
Brenna
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Earthquake 13 Years ago Karma: 5
My heart and prayers go out to those affected. I can't imagine how stressful/scary that would be.

Logged Logged
Smittee
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:Earthquake 13 Years ago Karma: 31
One can never really know what may happen next. It is a sad thing for this to occur, and hopefully rest can be found soon after. I saw the news report last night. I don't know anymore about the nuke plant, but I hope it doesn't meltdown on them; at least, not until they evacuate all that they can.

Logged Logged

www.dokuga.com/images/fbfiles/images/Smittebucket.jpg
I claimed Shippo\'s transforming powers in the claim game.
Time on my hands
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Earthquake 13 Years ago Karma: 3
For those of you who have not yet donated and want to, check out this link.

www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-03-11/relief-funds-for-march-11-earthquake/tsunami-in-japan

It is Anime News Network's list of agencies that are taking donations. There are agencies listed for several countries. I kind of wish I had waited to make my donation as you will note that Crunchyroll is matching all donations.

You will also find anime and manga related news of the disaster there, including those associated with the industry who have checked in via their personal websites and blogs to let their fans know they are ok.

Here is the Crunchyroll link for those who would like to go directly there.

www.crunchyroll.com/

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/03/12 10:52 By Time on my hands.
Aurora Antheia Raine
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Earthquake 13 Years ago Karma: 24
Tiegrsi wrote:
And to this: Write Hope for Japan is a facebook event, much like "To Write Love on Her Arms", but instead of 'Love' you write 'Hope' on either your arm or hand. Filling in the "o" with red.

I just tried to find the event, or at least some news about it, and haven't seen anything. :/ Do you have a link to a FB page or news article?

Grsi, if you click on the HOPE image on that post, it'll direct you to that facebook page.

Logged Logged

ladybattousai
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:Earthquake 13 Years ago Karma: -666
Smittee wrote:
One can never really know what may happen next. It is a sad thing for this to occur, and hopefully rest can be found soon after. I saw the news report last night. I don't know anymore about the nuke plant, but I hope it doesn't meltdown on them; at least, not until they evacuate all that they can.

The Dai-ichi Nuclear Plant just suffered an explosion. They've been using seawater to try and cool one of the reactors, and the hydrogen reacted with the oxygen and caused the building to explode. The metal casing around the reactor however is still intact, and they say that the radiation levels are actually down from Friday. No one was killed as far as I could tell. Just injured.

Logged Logged

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Earthquake 13 Years ago Karma: 23
To those who would like to donate, you can do so by any of the following:

text the letters REDCROSS to 90999 to make the $10 donation.

text MED to 80888 to donate $10 to emergency relief efforts.

You can also text “JAPAN” or “TSUNAMI” to 20222 to donate $10.

Donate via Global Giving Text JAPAN to 50555 to donate $10.

Text JAPAN or QUAKE to 80888 to make a $10 donation to the Salvation Army’s relief efforts.

Text “4JAPAN” or “4TSUNAMI” to 20222 to donate $10 to World Vision.

Logged Logged
Smittee
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:Earthquake 13 Years ago Karma: 31
ladybattousai wrote:
Smittee wrote:

The Dai-ichi Nuclear Plant just suffered an explosion. They've been using seawater to try and cool one of the reactors, and the hydrogen reacted with the oxygen and caused the building to explode. The metal casing around the reactor however is still intact, and they say that the radiation levels are actually down from Friday. No one was killed as far as I could tell. Just injured.

Was containment breached??? Or, was it one of the more safe buildings being exploding. (I hope that makes sense.)

Logged Logged

www.dokuga.com/images/fbfiles/images/Smittebucket.jpg
I claimed Shippo\'s transforming powers in the claim game.
ladybattousai
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:Earthquake 13 Years ago Karma: -666
Smittee wrote:
ladybattousai wrote:
Smittee wrote:

Was containment breached??? Or, was it one of the more safe buildings being exploding. (I hope that makes sense.)

There wasn't a meltdown, but I do believe it was the reactor building. It was Unit One which is the reactor giving them the most trouble. Again, the metal housing containing the reactor is intact and radiation is down. It's leaking the same amount of radiation an hour that a person absorbs from the natural environment over the course of a year. As a precaution though, they might start distributing iodine pills to the populace, because it helps prevent the thyroid from absorbing radiation. One of their big fears is an increase in thyroid cancer.

Logged Logged

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Tiegrsi
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Earthquake 13 Years ago Karma: 1
Latest news I saw on the reactors:
www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/12/japan-quake-nuclear-cooling-idUSLHE7EB02D20110312

Thanks about the HOPE thing - silly me I didn't check to see if I could click the picture!

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.