Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Choosing names
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Choosing names
AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Choosing names 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 23
My curiosity got the better of me again.

I was wondering how do you choose the names for your characters,animals and children?

Do you pick them just because you like them? Or do you choose by origin or meaning?

It is usually the meaning of the name that is my final decision. Sometimes I also just choose a name that I like when naming my animals. But always end up looking up the name XD

Also, could miyavi be used as a female name?

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/10/23 01:04 By PRVN.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Vonne
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Choosing names 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 6
For characters, I usually go after a name that somewhat symbolizes what he/she will be in the story. Picking from the pile that's not so used (imo an over-used one would make it lose its description and just be a regular 'ol name) makes it vulnerable to change. Sometimes it takes me 2-3 times to get one that just, well, clicks.

For animals I'd go for a personality-wise thing. Names that are slightly humorous in the way of how they're on-the-dot are delightful, but like said, a name that just 'clicks' usually is something not often used.

'Liking' a name and choosing exactly that... I am guilty of. 'Course, if it's completely off its mark, I'd have to sadly choose something else.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/10/23 01:06 By RenderedReversed.
Miss Anna
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Choosing names 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 15
Well there are two reasons really.

1- I love/loved DBZ and so have seen all the eps including the OVA series and all the movies. So I love sayian names! I always seem to make my own or something like..for a long while my nickname was Sephria until I wrote her in as one of my main characters for most of my stories.

2- It's random sometimes especially if I don't know enough about the series to say well this name would be typical of the shows characters.

Logged Logged

I am the Master of Italian Pastry in Dokugareers, my tool is the rolling pin of cannoli.

Miss Anna S has Claimed Hitomiko\'s Bells in the Dokuga Claim Game
Yoruzuki
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Choosing names 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 3
"Miyavi" is the artist's way of writing "miyabi," which means 'elegant.'

So I suppose it could be used as a female name.

It seems like it would be an asexual name, like mine.

Logged Logged

Yoruzuki claims the position of Master Visual Kei Bassist, with the tool of Noiz-kun the Bass Guitar of Pure Awesome.

Takumi ni hito toshite gisou shite iru.

AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Choosing names 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 23
Ah! It means Elegant? I thought it was something of that sort, as I read it somewhere, but couldn't remember exactly and could not find the page where I read the information at. Thank you for letting me know!

(laughs) My pup is not Elegant at all, I think the name stands more for 'Crazy' and 'Destructive' then elegant!

Logged Logged
Yoruzuki
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Choosing names 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 3
PRVN wrote:
Ah! It means Elegant? I thought it was something of that sort, as I read it somewhere, but couldn't remember exactly and could not find the page where I read the information at. Thank you for letting me know!

(laughs) My pup is not Elegant at all, I think the name stands more for 'Crazy' and 'Destructive' then elegant!

I would put the character for his name here, but the forums freak out whenever I use Japanese in non-romaji characters. /(-_-)/

Anyway, the actual word is "miyabi." The Japanese language has no 'v' (or 'q' or 'x,' for that matter, although there are sounds that are equivalent), so if a word is borrowed that does contain a 'v,' the 'v' becomes a 'b,' since the sound is very similar.

xD I understand completely! I have a pup, although he is huge and exceptionally clumsy. And he drools a lot.

Tsuba-kun is the reason why Mako no longer has nice things.

Logged Logged

Yoruzuki claims the position of Master Visual Kei Bassist, with the tool of Noiz-kun the Bass Guitar of Pure Awesome.

Takumi ni hito toshite gisou shite iru.

AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Choosing names 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 23
(laughs) Yeah, I read that the actual word was 'Miyabi' which is funny since whenever I would spell 'Miyavi' before learning this I would always put a 'b' in place of the 'v'. Hmm, that's really interesting!

(laughs) I get what you mean there too, Ah puppies...so destructive but one can't help but love them. Miya since I have gotten her(two months ago I believe) has completely ruined a part of my carpet(through chewing on it) and ruined two of my boots(my favorites too) AND chewed through about 3 electrical cords(while they were still plugged in and amazingly did not get electrocuted-she loves doing this and it's a habit I'm really trying everything to break) and she also tore open my lip(on accident, it happened when we were playing but my lip bled heavily for about 30 mins-I thought I would have to get stitches but didn't I just have bump in my lip now ^^; )

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.