Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Socializing
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Socializing
AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Socializing 13 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 23
In the puppy book I had read before bringing Miyavi into my home, it stressed how important socializing was. To socialize one's puppy to people of different ages, races and weight(and frame), along with also socializing them with different animals, and dogs of all sizes, breeds and genders.

Unfortunately I have not been able to socialize her yet because she does not get her first set of (puppy)shots until next week, after which I will begin to socialize her with children of all ages. I have a daycare across from where I live, after she gets her second set of shots and learns more control with her training(she has 'sit' down, I am working on 'leave it' right now, and she is also getting better at not biting) After she is better with these things, I plan on asking the day care people if I could bring her over and let her play/get socialized with the children there.

However, one thing I was curious about for socializing, that wasn't in the book, was people with disability. Whether it is physical or mental, the book did not cover on that. To be honest, I myself did not even think about it, until a few days ago. I had Miyavi out in the front yard, and someone in an electronic wheelchair passed by my house(on the other side of the street) and Miyavi was really, really scared. She started crying and trying to go back into the house.

It made me start thinking of socializing her with people who have disabilities, especially those who have to use some sort of equipment for their disability.

So I was curious, if I start socializing her with people that have disabilities, should I wait until she is older, like six months? Or should I wait until she is even older than that? I know it's best to socialize them when they are puppies, but when would be the best time?

I don't want her to jump up on them in excitement and end up hurting someone, and I also don't want her to be to young that she is scared of people who are different than what she will be socialized with.

I don't exactly want her to be a therapy dog, but at the same time, I want her to feel comfortable with every person, and not have any fears so she will not be caught off guard in her adult years if we come across someone who has for example, a wheelchair, crutches, or is just a little slower than usual(or in some cases someone who is loud and vocal).

She is very friendly already, to most people, so her being afraid of the person who had the wheelchair caught me off guard.

I'm thinking about going to a nearby therapy place and talking to them about it. Ask them if I could bring her over, and let her see the people there.

But I don't know for sure, because I over think a lot of things. Which is why I am starting this thread, to hear others opinions on the matter. Should I just not worry about it, should I socialize her with people that have disabilities? If so, what would be the best age?

I apologize that I come here so much with questions about her, but I can't think of anywhere else to go. I also come here because I know there are a good handful(or two) of people here that have animals or are animal lovers.

If anyone has advice or opinions on the matter, I would really appreciate them :3

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/11/18 18:10 By PRVN.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Miss Anna
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Socializing 13 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 15
I would wait until she is a tad bit older but not to old because by that point it might be too late to get her used to people who disablities, I would say around 3 months or so.

Logged Logged

I am the Master of Italian Pastry in Dokugareers, my tool is the rolling pin of cannoli.

Miss Anna S has Claimed Hitomiko\'s Bells in the Dokuga Claim Game
Freya Ishtar
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Socializing 13 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 39
I agree with Anna- you may want Miyavi to be a little older (in some ways she's still adjusting to life with you) but do not wait too long or she may lose some of her capacity to adapt to new people and situations which is really what socializing is all about.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/11/18 19:21 By Freya Ishtar.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.