Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
The Hilarity of Typos
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: The Hilarity of Typos
Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The Hilarity of Typos 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 54
I am currently rereading my story Warriors, since I'm working on the outline for the sequel and there's a lot of points to make sure I get right. Anyways in the middle of a very serious scene is this...

'“I have heard of her innocence from the Ambassador's own lips when he was speaking to his wife. Mere moments after giving the order to kiss us. Is that enough evidence for you, you pathetic little man?!” she demanded as she sent him another glare before turning her attention back to Lord Toga.'

So notice the problem? Start laughing yet? Lol I haven't stopped laughing since I read it. Some how, the order to 'kiss us' is not as scary as to 'kill us' lol.

So notice any other really bad typos in your own work that completely destroy the seriousness of a scene? Do share!

Logged Logged

I claimed Tenseiga`s resurrection power!
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Miss Anna
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:The Hilarity of Typos 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 15
Oh dear I have had many typos lol
When I originally started with DBZ I, if I remember correctly, in a story put...

'And then his furry tail wrapped around her nose'.
It was supposed to actually be 'And then his furry tail wrapped her neck"

When I caught the typo after publishing it...I literally laughed until I was almost blue in the face ^-^

Logged Logged

I am the Master of Italian Pastry in Dokugareers, my tool is the rolling pin of cannoli.

Miss Anna S has Claimed Hitomiko\'s Bells in the Dokuga Claim Game
Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:The Hilarity of Typos 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 54
OMG that's such a cute typo. I would love to see someone trying to wrap their tail around someone else's nose.

Logged Logged

Miss Anna
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Haha it would be funny...really funny lol.

Logged Logged

I am the Master of Italian Pastry in Dokugareers, my tool is the rolling pin of cannoli.

Naomi
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:The Hilarity of Typos 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 12
LOL! I'm not much of a writer, but I love spotting typossss. Usually it turns something normal into a good laugh. XD

Do you prefer it if someone actually msgs you so you can change it? Because I will start doing that...maybe. Usually I do nothing, because it's funny and other people can get a good laugh XD

Logged Logged

Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
Personally, I like when my readers point out a typo like this. Though I love the kick I got out of it, it does take away from what's supposed to be a very serious and important moment of the story. Now if it was a crack fic, I would probably leave it just for an added bonus, but I probably should go change it and the others I noticed while reading the story again lol.

Logged Logged

Freya Ishtar
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:The Hilarity of Typos 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 39
Hairann wrote:
Personally, I like when my readers point out a typo like this. Though I love the kick I got out of it, it does take away from what's supposed to be a very serious and important moment of the story. Now if it was a crack fic, I would probably leave it just for an added bonus, but I probably should go change it and the others I noticed while reading the story again lol.

I'm with Hairann on this. Often times because it's your own work and you know what it's 'supposed' to say, you can gloss over it or you catch a few and have to go back through editing several times to fix it 'cause you may not recall exactly where you stumbled across a particular one.

And pm'ing I think would be much preferred as a method to inform the author over putting it in a review. I am terrible with correcting my own typos and I made the mistake once of asking readers to let me know and one reviewer literally spent paragraphs detailing my typos and their placement-_- which wouldn't have been so bad if she'd at least have mentioned whether or not she even enjoyed the story. Le sigh.

Logged Logged
Miss Anna
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Agreed. I would like someone to point it out to me by pm'ing me.

Logged Logged

Naomi
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:The Hilarity of Typos 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 12
Alrighty then! That's what I'll do from now on XD

Logged Logged

Asphy
Pup
graphgraph
Re:The Hilarity of Typos 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0
My first major typo was pointed out in a review on aff.
It was the such an important chapter for me too, it was the first lemon I wrote.
Just imagine how stupid I felt when a reviewer pointed out that "orgasm" was mistyped as "organism".

Ohhhh I felt so lame....

Logged Logged
Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
OMG that's a great typo! It actually reminds me of one that said in a raid chat on an online game. The raid leader asked for a ram count, only he missed a letter lol. I'll leave it up to you guys to figure out which one since the word would not be pg13 lol.

But I love your typo, even better than mine .

Logged Logged

knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:The Hilarity of Typos 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 78
My favorite typo, and one that I have encountered more than once, is when an author allows spell-check to replace "feudal" with "federal". Thus, Kagome, et all are running around in the Federal Era. I asked one author if I should expect to find characters wearing powdered wigs and frock-coats in her story. After I posted the review, I felt a little bad, I hope she didn't think I was being mean, I just thought it was so funny...

Logged Logged
AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:The Hilarity of Typos 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 23
I've had alot of typos or just missing words, so I can't really remember one specific one. I personally don't mind when reviewers point out my errors, because then I can learn from it and hopefully improve on my writing and otherwise.

For the 'federal' and 'Feudal' mistake, I make that one ...a lot. Which is why I really pay attention when I do use the correct name for it, but since I know I make a mistake on that one a lot I usually try and avoid it and just address that period of time as 'the past' in Kagome's thoughts. If it is one of the other characters(that actually live in that time) I will just have them think 'this era' or something of that sort and address Kagome's time as the future or something XD

Sadly, I've noticed that a lot of spelling mistakes are usually caused by spellcheck in writing programs. The problem for this is usually because we are using foreign words while writing in english, so even if the words are spelled correctly because it doesn't match the English dictionary(sp) in the program they are marked as wrong. That's why I suggest that anyone who uses spellcheck to watch the program and read over your work again even after using it.

Logged Logged
Miss Anna
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
@ PRVN
Yeah I have noticed that alot with word...before I started writing Sesshoumaru/Kagome fics I went ahead and added all the names of charactars, attacks, weapons and a few japanese terms to the spellcheck. But then it started having problems if I would be something like Sesshoumaru's or something...sooooo lol still working on the kinks of my word.

Logged Logged

Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
Yeah basically you've got to add a lot of words to your dictionary, I do them as I go whenever I have a word underlined in red. But sadly I have to add ones in English too, mine doesn't like un or re before words lol.

Logged Logged

AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:The Hilarity of Typos 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 23
Haha mine has issues with un and re before words too. Also, make sure the 'auto correct' on spell check is off. I've seen a lot of mistakes caused because of that thing. It's more work for the writer to have to check through it a few times but it also means a better chapter/story!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/11/07 16:07 By PRVN. Reason: because I had typos in a typo thread XD Nice.
Miss Anna
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Yeah heh I gave up recently on trying to stay ahead of adding words before I write a story or something, heck while I was writing my prompts for the DDN last night...it was trying to say that the words were wrong lol...ahhhh microsoft neeeds to work on updating word lol.

Logged Logged

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.