Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
American horror VS Foreign horror films?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: American horror VS Foreign horror films?
AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
American horror VS Foreign horror films? 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 23
Which do you prefer and why?

I was just curious, since Halloween is coming up people are either breaking out their favorite horror films or looking for new ones. So when looking for a horror film, or suggesting ones to different people, which do you prefer?

Personally, I prefer Foreign horror films to American ones. The reason being: I find American 'horror' focuses more on blood and guts than on actual plot. Where as foreign horror usually focuses on messing with the viewers mind and pulling them in and frightening them that way.

I mean, yes. Psychotic killers can be frightening but now when it's the same thing every time. It kind of turns me off from the story when there is so much blood and guts, or disgusting things such as that. It's not that I can't handle it, it's just that it gets tiring.

I know a lot of people dislike watching foreign films with subtitles because they think that subtitles take away from the movie. So, they either wait for it to be remade(and butchered) in America or until it is dubbed.

On this issue, I love subtitles. I won't lie, at first it was hard to read the subtitles and keep in with the movie. But, after awhile it's like you're not even reading the subtitles and it just feels like one is watching a movie in their own language. Even when I started reading subtitles with movies(or shows) I never felt it took away from the film, instead I thought it actually carried my attention better and made me get more into the movie.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/10/18 15:11 By PRVN.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Freya Ishtar
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:American horror VS Foreign horror films? 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 39
I definitely prefer the foreign horror films. I'm a sucker for Asian supernatural horror films in particular. American horror films tend to just be about gore and violence mostly, and the really good, give you goosebumps style movies that have come out in the past decade have been based on Asian films.

Logged Logged
AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:American horror VS Foreign horror films? 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 23
Same here! Asia Horror films are actually my favorite, especially the ones that have to do with the supernatural. Those films definitely mess with one's mind. I think my favorite Asian horror film has got to be 'Reincarnation'.

Logged Logged
Freya Ishtar
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
That's definitely a great one. I can't actually pick a favorite, I've seen quite a few since getting Netflix a couple of months back XD.

Logged Logged
Kris Catastrophe
Pup
graphgraph
Re:American horror VS Foreign horror films? 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 2
im so with you on htis one. i cant stand horror movies for here. i mean they have done some good remakes and made some good ones but by far i love the japanese horror movies so much lol i watch them almost every day. but my favorit asain movie would have to be sick nurses lol

Logged Logged

haha my wesker beats your batman.....I WIN!!!!!!
Miss Anna
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:American horror VS Foreign horror films? 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 15
I have to say that I like Foreign horror films more especially Asian horror.

Most American horror films now are based off of Asian or Italian or German horror films, the only original American horror films come from the late 70's-80's. Though I honestly can't wait for some horror films from American directors!

Thought I would post a random fact about a certian horror film director!
The director of Hostel, Eli Roth, original got his idea for the movie from the torture scene in the Japanese horror film 'The Audition'

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/10/18 17:53 By Miss Anna. Reason: Forgot a sentence

I am the Master of Italian Pastry in Dokugareers, my tool is the rolling pin of cannoli.

Miss Anna S has Claimed Hitomiko\'s Bells in the Dokuga Claim Game
Freya Ishtar
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Ya know, I've seen that one on my netflix, but I didn't want to get it 'cause I thought it might have something like that and I'm more into the psychological part of horror, not the gore, bloody, squeemish torture bit. Thank you, lol, I'm now glad I didn't chose to watch The Audition.

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.