Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
What started your obsession?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: What started your obsession?
darkmousey
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
What started your obsession? 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 8
I decided to start this topic because today (10 minutes ago) marks the first time in over two months that I've listened to any song that wasn't originally performed by Queen.

My obsession started this summer. I was interning in London and discovered after a few weeks that students can get pretty cheap tickets in really good sections and eventually ended up going to see We Will Rock You ("the musical by Queen and Ben Elton" as all the posters say) and fell in love...then saw it again. The only thing stopping me from seeing it again (and again and again and again) was a plane ticket back home. Although, after hearing that a sequel is in the works (and possibly a movie!), I have started saving up for a plane ticket back...and grad school in England is becoming a much more tempting possibility in my mind...

Anyways, needless to say, I bought the soundtrack, and have been listening to it (and some other Queen songs) pretty much on repeat ever since. After changing playlists for the first time in a long time, I started wondering...

Dokuga, have you ever had a huge music obsession? What was it? What started it?

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Miss Anna
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:What started your obsession? 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 15
I would say anything metal or hard rock really, it started with the band Disturbed.

I used to listen to the a-typical boy bands and girl pop-singers, and well for that I got picked on 24/7 by other kids in school. It was unnerving, and really harsh sometimes for what they said or did.

But my obession started when I started watching the English dubbed Dragon Ball Z movies which had a lot of tracks from the band Disturbed. Needless to say...I have been hooked since then.

Logged Logged

I am the Master of Italian Pastry in Dokugareers, my tool is the rolling pin of cannoli.

Miss Anna S has Claimed Hitomiko\'s Bells in the Dokuga Claim Game
AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:What started your obsession? 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 23
This is kind of difficult question, or I just really don't know how to answer will be the best response. I have two musical obsessions. One, I treasure more than anything as it connects to most of my most treasured memories. Which is punk music. I got into it when I was eight, from my friend who I viewed as an older brother. He pretty much took me in and saved my life in a lot of ways.

He took me to my first punk show. Which was Rancid, I loved it. I loved the sound of the live instruments the unity the crowd had with one another. I just loved everything about it but mainly the sound of the band. After that show I looked into other bands and still love it. Even though my friend passed away a few years after I met him, the memory is still one I hold onto and even if I do drift away from punk music I found myself being drawn to it. Even today music like The Sex pistols is something that calms me, makes me happy and generally something I can fall asleep to.

One of my favorite punk bands now are The Casualties. I have seen them live a lot of times and make it my mission to see them live every time they come to the state I live in. I love their shows, it reminds me of my first show every time.

My second music obsession is 'The Gazette'. To be honest, I don't remember how I found them I think it was just randomly, and probably when I was studying the culture of Japan. While I have been a fan of theirs for years, it is only recently that I have become obsessed with them. I have a fan girl crush on the singer and lead guitarist But I mainly like their music, it makes me happy.

Logged Logged
Freya Ishtar
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:What started your obsession? 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 39
I was never really like obsessed with a particular band's music before I stumbled over 30 Seconds to Mars. I didn't pay it much mind at first- a friend in England sent me the mp3 of their cover of Kanye West's 'Stronger', I thought it was awesome, but I didn't go any further with that until I was playing 'Dragon Age: Origins' and their song 'This is War' played through the end credits. That was my moment of 'I need to hear more'.

As much as I adore their music, though, I would prefer to say I 'like' them or I love their music rather than actually calling myself a fan, because their fans are kind of . . . well, frankly a li'l hardcore, scary and almost cult-like. But I had to realize that I might just be obsessed with their music because I finally got to download their albums yesterday and I actually got giddy- and I'm not really the giddy, sunshine and kittens type. I've also found that my writing flows much more fluidly when I'm listening to them. Like yesterday, I picked up a story I'd thought I was blocked on, like was stuck only 2/3's of the first page on the chapter I was working on and like snapping my fingers I poured out another 6 pages like it had been in my mind for the longest. I know 6 pages doesn't seem like a lot, but to anyone who's had writer's block, you know what this feels like. I think they're one of those bands that just loves the music they produce to the point that as the listener, you can't help but connect with it.

I'd say second after 30 StM is probably Gackt, he's a J-rock singer & musician. My Japanese is so poor and limited that I barely understand a word he sings, yet I love the sound of his voice and his music.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/10/15 07:28 By Freya Ishtar.
Aura
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:What started your obsession? 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 10
Hmm, the only band that would count as something I'm obsessed with would be VNV Nation.

I originally heard them in 2000 with the song 'standing' and have adored them ever sense, they are the only band I know where I like almost every song they've made. Also the only band I own every CD for.

Not really sure what spurred it, just something that touches me on an unspoken level I suppose.

Logged Logged
Angel
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:What started your obsession? 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 9

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/10/15 23:43 By ToraAngel.
Meagan
Pup
graphgraph
Re:What started your obsession? 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 2
I love rock, heavy metal, and alternative bands ranging from Breaking Benjamin to Slipknot. My mom would blast classic rock like Led Zeppelin and folk like Bob Dylan and John Prine when I was growing up. I also have the tendency to blast my music too lol.

I can remember that my music taste started when I was 10, and my mom bought me Nickelback's Silver Side up. Before I was into Brittney Spears, N*Sync, etc (needless to say I lost complete interest after this). I also got my mom turned onto my music except the heavy stuff.

I got into the heavier stuff when I was depressed at around 14...then my friend got me into Disturbed, System of a Down, and those types. Other bands I would find songs on the radio and write down the lyrics lol and then I found YouTube and it grew.

I cant stand hip hop or country. Even pop like Jonas Brothers and Justin Bieber I absolutely hate.

Logged Logged
Smittee
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:What started your obsession? 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 31
There was a year of my life that I only listened to Jpop and other asian music. It was new and beautiful to me, so I wanted to hear more. Then, I became and angry teen and listened to a bunch of System of a Down. Not really anything else either. Just System. Soon after, I went back to listening to a variety of different music. So yeah.. I understand obsession. Right now, it's hard for me to go a day without listening to "Black Betty" by Ram Jam. XD

Logged Logged

www.dokuga.com/images/fbfiles/images/Smittebucket.jpg
I claimed Shippo\'s transforming powers in the claim game.
Naomi
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:What started your obsession? 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 12
I obsess too. But for music its usually one song at a time.
I'll find this SUPER AWESOME song, IMO, and then I won't listen to anything else for ages....and only listen to the same song, on loop.

Right now, my obsession is "Bang Bang" by Knaan, featuring Adam Levine.

Logged Logged

lightstar
Pup
graphgraph
Re:What started your obsession? 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0
I used to be sooo obssessed over backstreet boys 10 years ago in my late teens.

Nowadays I listen to just about everything. Disturbed is the bomb. I also heard their songs in DBZ tributes on youtube and looked up all of their stuff online. I love "Remember" and "Inside the Fire" the best.

In fact, Youtube is actually where I learned about music from different countries.

I love me some Kpop/Jpop too. Rain is just with his dancing shirtless and all.

Logged Logged

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.