Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Am I the only one hates this?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Am I the only one hates this?
Tataru
Whelp
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Am I the only one hates this? 13 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 5
Am I the only one who hates it when people come to my door?

It's either to solicit donations or offer to paint my address on the curb (like you can't see it in huge numbers that are almost 8 inches high and black against a tan background on the front of the house at all ) or someone selling artwork painted on cardboard (yes, cardboard and 'framed' in gleaming silver duct tape , or asking if I know Jesus or how much I need to install an alarm system on my house (the kid really didn't look amused when I asked him 'Why, you planning on breaking in to teach me a lesson if I don't buy this system?') Ya, felt a little bad for the kid for having such an moment there but really, I am sick of people coming to my door interrupting me in whatever activity I happen to be doing at that moment.

Question, do those 'No Solicitations' signs ever work? Has anyone used them to any degree of success?

Logged Logged

I claimed Sesshoumaru\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Haughty Humph in the Claim Game
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Sophie
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Am I the only one hates this? 13 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 9
I think I understand your feelings, but from the other side. I'm the one that is walking to someone's door. Believe me-I hate doing that, simlpy because I know people don't want to see me there, but what can I say? It's my work, so I'm cursing my luck in my head and going.
And 'No Solicitations' signs work, at least for me, but my employer knows about it and sents someone else there

Logged Logged
kori
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Am I the only one hates this? 13 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 5
With signs no, but I found out that big dogs work wonders. The last time someone came to the door,they asked"May we come in and talk about the wonders of the Lord."
"Sure, we haven't fed the dogs since the last batch of mormons." and my dogs are in the background barking and growling. lol

Even better yet, answering the door with a 6 foot snake around your neck, a 2 ft one on left wrist and 1 ft one on right wrist,the large one framing perfectly, the pentacle necklace I have worn for many many years. The snakes work great for many different people though. My mother in law hasnt stepped foot in my house since I got Aries,the large snake, roughly 6 years, she won't go past the front door.I always have them out when I am cleaning their cage, I even had cops freak out when I answer the door with them. My snakes are all Ball Pythons, the small ones, Aries at just under 6ft is full grown, the other two are still babies, only 3 years old. Most women get jewelry, or kitchen appliances, I get animals for presents. Hubby knows what I love, and animals is definitely one things I love.Eeyore is another, I love anything remotely Eeyore related.

Logged Logged
kori
Whelp
graphgraph
At least you honor the signs and have manners sweetie, there are alot that just don't care. We have no trespassing signs, no solicitation signs, beware of dogs sign, all posted in English, Spanish, and even Creole. I wanted all my bases covered, but it still doesn't stop some of them. I understand that its alot of people's jobs, but I don't know you, and you are not allowed near my kids if I don't know you. That's just me being a paranoid parent though I suppose,

Logged Logged
BlueHeavensAngel
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Am I the only one hates this? 13 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 7
I don't know if the signs work, but I definitely understand how you feel. Sometimes we get a lot of people ringing the doorbell at my house. Honestly, we don't really answer the door unless we know someone is coming or if we are waiting for something in the mail, at least i don't. Also, our dogs freak when people come up to the door and bark like crazy so it probably puts them off a bit or they think no one is home.

Logged Logged

ladybattousai
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:Am I the only one hates this? 13 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: -666
I have a friend who once greeted a Jehovah Witness at his door by answering it naked. They still tried to do their talk...

I've found that solicitors are far less common in an apartment complex. Most of the time, they're looking for owners.

A few years ago, a landscaping guy visited my house and asked if my mother or father was home. I must have had a pretty stunned look on my face.

Logged Logged

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Angelicatt
Pup
graphgraph
ladybattousai wrote:

A few years ago, a landscaping guy visited my house and asked if my mother or father was home. I must have had a pretty stunned look on my face.[/quote]

That's cuz you're a foxy miss

The JW and Mormons show up occasionally and I usually either have my Buddha statue on the table behind me or instantly turn on the buddhist chants. One mention of 'Namaste' and they go running.

Logged Logged

FayeMegan
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Am I the only one hates this? 13 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 24
We have a "No Soliciting" sticker on our door that is issued by our city. It doesn't seem to deter bogus magazine salesmen and the various religious groups in the area coming to propagate their following.

I usually don't answer, or I just politely say "sorry, soliciting is illegal in this city". But sometimes if it's someone trying to recruit members for their religious congregations, I just smile and hand them a pamphlet about my own Buddhist practice, lol. Sometimes I get a hoot when people are appalled that I think outside of the box.

Logged Logged
AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Am I the only one hates this? 13 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 23
I live in the Mormon state(Utah) and right down the street from where I live is a church so I get someone coming and trying to ask why we haven't been to church every Sunday(I'm actually the only person in my family that wasn't baptized into the Mormon religion because I didn't agree with everything the missionaries were trying to teach us when I was younger, so I decided not to get into the religion*it made my mom and dad mad* ) But the rest of my family technically are Mormons, just not active ones. We don't get any sales people though, but anyone knocking on my door or ringing my doorbell is annoying. The people that we actually know, know not to do that.

The reason why? My dad's dog goes psycho and it's hard to hold her(she's 100 pounds of pure muscle) and try and talk to whoever is at the door.(So when I order pizza I go outside and wait for them ) But when the church people do come over, she's a good excuse on why I can't talk to them and end it rather quickly.

Logged Logged
a Mysticlady
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Am I the only one hates this? 13 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 4
Years ago I had two dogs, a black lab and rottweiler mix and a rottweiler. One day I had both of them in the house and a guy came to the door. Now the lab/rot didn't like strangers and was very protective of me. But the rotty was a fun loving and happy to see you girl.

So I grabbed their leashes, yelling at the door to wait a minute and then while holding the dogs with one hand and cracking the door a bit, I asked what the guy wanted. He looked at me, then the dogs and tried to say what he wanted. Couldn't hear him over the happy barks and aggressive growls, so I politely asked if it was important. When he shook his head I told him to leave and that I wasn't going to be able to hold them off much longer. Poor guys just about fell off my front stoop.

Dogs are a great reason to keep people back and not invite themselves into your home. Even my small cocker spaniel helps.

Logged Logged
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Am I the only one hates this? 13 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 78
Dogs are excellent for home security. Even if the dog isn't aggressive, if it is a loud barker, a potential intruder has no way of knowing that. Unless you are expecting someone trusted, don't answer the door, but don't make it appear that no one is home, and the house would be easy pickings for a b&e. To whatever extent you are capable, make provisions to defend yourself if someone comes through that door, even if it is just keeping a ball bat where it is in easy reach, it's better than nothing. There are people out there who want to rape you, steal your prescription drugs, or just scoping out your house for a potential burglary. Even in the north woods, where I live, we have had a great number of home invasions in the last five years.

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.