Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Need help on student loan repayment problems
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Need help on student loan repayment problems
sesshys_jaded_samuri
Supporter
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Need help on student loan repayment problems 13 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 32
Student loans are a whole different monster. And Sallie Mae is a bitch. I had my own loans through them and several of my friends had them as well. Fortunately, I had no problems and got mine paid off fairly fast. One of my friends has had nothing but trouble with them... He has auto withdrawal set up for his payments, and one time last year, they took out two payments at once...it caused him nearly a thousand dollars of overdraft fees... he fought with them, and fought with them, and to this date, they still have done nothing about it.... it totally ruined his credit.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, there is not much that can be done. Student loans are set up in such a way that not even bankruptcy, in most cases, will get rid of them. We filed bankruptcy about 10 years ago, and we still had to pay back my husband's student loans, which he had defaulted on 10 years before I met him. And if you default on them, the the government has the right to take your tax refunds to pay them until they are paid off.

I am, however, not a legal expert, so there may be something that can be done, that I do not know about.

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
GreyEcho
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Need help on student loan repayment problems 13 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 27
Well I really need some good advice. If Anyone has experience with this sort of thing please let me know.

It's a student loan issue through Sallie Mae. Short story, I have some private loans I can no longer put into forbearance, and will have to pay on July 9th. The problem is, I don't have that kinda of money. Nor do I have a job. ( working on that but yeah)

Even when I had a job it wasn't enough to cover it. I have tried MANY times to talk to them about this and they would only go as low as $575 dollars per month. I can't do that and still pay Rent/ other bills with it. I let them know what I could scrap up bt they refused. So what do I do?

I'm budgeting. Really I am, every dollar counts.

What I'm doing so far: So yesterday I email a credit counselor on it, no response yet. And will call them in the morning. Alternative two that popped into my head was to consolidate with Chase bank, as I remembered getting something in the mail from them, but I don't know if it will work.

I had a friend tell me that the credit counselors only felt bad for her and could do nothing for her. Is this true? And that Chase wouldn't consolidate Student loans. Crazy credit card debt, but not student loans.

So that all I can think of. So, is there anyway I can get the payment down and not ruin my credit? ANY ideas are welcome!

~Lune

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/06/21 04:36 By lunaticneko.

I claimed Kagura`s awesome flying feather! Everyone should have one.
RebaJean
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Need help on student loan repayment problems 13 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 16
You could try talking to Consumer Credit Counseling Service (www.creditcounseling.org/). Their website says they will include defaulted student loans. I used them several years ago following a divorce & was able to get loans to buy a car & a house after I finished the program. So your credit isn't ruined forever.

Logged Logged
GreyEcho
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Need help on student loan repayment problems 13 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 27
Thanks for the advice and link. I'll check them out too.

Logged Logged

I claimed Kagura`s awesome flying feather! Everyone should have one.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.