Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Fanfictions of Fanfictions?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Fanfictions of Fanfictions?
Sion Alphaios
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Fanfictions of Fanfictions? 14 Years ago Karma: 14
Wouldn't it be great to write a fanfiction of your favorite fanfiction(s)? I mean, like, I've read so many fanfix that I thought were so great that I couldn't leave them alone. In my head, the story line went on forever (unless the ending was really good) and, like any other fanfic-inspiring story, I never wanted it to end. Years of thinking of this has basically boiled down to the question: is it okay to write a fanfictions on some one else's fanfiction? I mean, legally, it probably is but, according to fanfic community ethics, is it okay?

And how would one go about it?

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Tally Mark
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Fanfictions of Fanfictions? 14 Years ago Karma: 18
I've seen this done in other fandoms, like for epic Harry Potter fics. I would ask the author of the fic for permission, if you can get in touch with them. Some might not like it but others might be flattered.

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Fanfictions of Fanfictions? 14 Years ago Karma: 277
Generally speaking, this would NOT be a good idea here, or in this fandom. Such things have a tendency to be viewed as plagiarism, sometimes even if the original author agrees to it. Some fan of the fic is always going to get whipped out of shape about someone basing something off their fave, and file a complaint.

Tread this water VERY carefully, if at all.

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

Trouble_In_Shangri_la
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Fanfictions of Fanfictions? 14 Years ago Karma: 8
WiccanMethuselah wrote:
Generally speaking, this would NOT be a good idea here, or in this fandom. Such things have a tendency to be viewed as plagiarism, sometimes even if the original author agrees to it. Some fan of the fic is always going to get whipped out of shape about someone basing something off their fave, and file a complaint.

~~Wiccan~~

I think if the author states explicitly that they have permission, that shouldn't be an issue. The one can always question the original author to verify if they feel suspicious.

Logged Logged

WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Fanfictions of Fanfictions? 14 Years ago Karma: 277
Trouble_In_Shangri_la wrote:
WiccanMethuselah wrote:

~~Wiccan~~

I think if the author states explicitly that they have permission, that shouldn't be an issue. The one can always question the original author to verify if they feel suspicious.

True, but that won't stop some from getting all upset and petitioning the Admins - which often devolves into a lengthy process - and we like to avoid the lengthy processes, y'know? (just kidding!)

Still, you're right. If an author expressly states that they have no problem with a fic based on theirs, we have no problem with it either.

~~Wiccan~~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

DemonQueen17
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Fanfictions of Fanfictions? 14 Years ago Karma: 66
WiccanMethuselah wrote:
Trouble_In_Shangri_la wrote:
WiccanMethuselah wrote:

~~Wiccan~~

True, but that won't stop some from getting all upset and petitioning the Admins - which often devolves into a lengthy process - and we like to avoid the lengthy processes, y'know? (just kidding!)

Still, you're right. If an author expressly states that they have no problem with a fic based on theirs, we have no problem with it either.

~~Wiccan~~~

I totally agree. I learned that the hard way. I was doing a fanfic using another author's OCs. Well, I won't go into too much detail but I actually met the author in person and things didn't end too well. So, writing a fanfic of a fanfic isn't generally a good idea unless it's one of your own.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/03/26 19:18 By DemonQueen17.

Everyone has their addictions. Mine are fanfiction, Sesshomaru and KARMA!!!!!!!!!!

Bakusaiga is mine via the Claiming Game thread.
Aura
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Fanfictions of Fanfictions? 14 Years ago Karma: 10
I've had a couple people ask me to use OC's of mine and I personally don't care as long as I'm credited with OC's. Otherwise it's already fanficiton so I don't own it That's my opinion on it.

Logged Logged
MomoDesu
Minister of Silly Walks
graphgraph
Re:Fanfictions of Fanfictions? 14 Years ago Karma: 25
Am I the only person who dislikes the idea?

I know I'm essentially doing the same thing (using characters that belong to someone else for my own creative outlets), but I'm not sure if I'd like to see any of my OCs used in another author's story. For me, it would be a worry of the other author doing my character justice. As silly as this sounds, but every original that I create for whatever purpose becomes my baby; much thought and consideration goes into creating that fictional person, probably much more than necessary to make a well rounded character. I don't think I'd take too kindly to sharing them with anyone else.

I assume it's all a matter of preference when it boils right down to it. You'll have those people that would be enthusiastic about seeing their character elsewhere, and then you'd have those people like myself that don't like the idea.

Basing an entire fanfiction off an already established fanfiction? Even with permission from the original author it's such a gray area that I would avoid it entirely. As Wiccan said, it could bring a huge hullabaloo out for the admin as some people would rather just file a complaint straight up and let the admin take care of the investigation instead of investigating the issue themselves before raising the red flags. That's just my opinion on the matter.

Logged Logged
Aura
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Fanfictions of Fanfictions? 14 Years ago Karma: 10
Eh, I dunno. So many of the same ideas are used I just can't understand someone having a issue. It's not like they own it on any legal level. I prefer to try to do things that are original when I can but the longer you go the more difficult it is to accomplish

Logged Logged
MomoDesu
Minister of Silly Walks
graphgraph
Re:Fanfictions of Fanfictions? 14 Years ago Karma: 25
Some ideas are going to be completely hackneyed. It's fandom, it's going to happen. It is just when it comes to someone loving either an original character or an author made universe so much that they want to use it themselves is where it gets touchy. I'm not talking something like a modern AU where Sesshoumaru has his arm back and finds Kagome to do whatever with her (something that has been done by many different authors), I'm talking a world that the author has put an extensive amount of time building from the ground up, like a world where some event didn't happen in canon at all and that event (or lack thereof) changes the rest of the outcome of Takahashi's original story, or an all human universe that you could replace the fandom names with original names and the story could easily pass off as an original rather than a fanfiction.

While Takahashi's universe or characters isn't something they legally own, they can claim ownership to their original characters or the original plot/universe they've built around the characters. I think that is the area in which some issues could stand. Similarities are going to be a given, plot wise, but there is a fine line of using a cliched plot and taking another universe and characterizations (including the totally OOC parts) and running wild with them.

I agree that it is harder the longer you have been writing. That is where the challenge and the fun comes in! It makes you strive harder to create something that is entirely your own and scribble to your heart's content ^^

Logged Logged
SilentlyFuming
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Fanfictions of Fanfictions? 14 Years ago Karma: 8
Hmm, I'm gonna have to agree with Momo on this one.

Though I get where this is coming from, I speculate a lot on stories as I read them and come up with a lot of ideas, but I think it just makes the writing even less original/creative/interesting (take your pick) if you write a fanfic off of an already great (<--assuming) story.

If you're really into it, you should be able to twist your idea into a completely new story that is entirely your own (and if there is one or two basic similarities, like with the scenery or background of the story, then you could probably give the original writer a heads up, saying their fic inspired you and that you were thinking of writing something a similar direction...or something like that).

But that's just my opinion, I'm sure there are a few fics out there that could use a tangent to spin off into.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/03/26 23:51 By SilentlyFuming.
Sion Alphaios
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Fanfictions of Fanfictions? 14 Years ago Karma: 14
Frankly, this "grey area" leaves a lot of room for hypocrisy. I understand the sort of possessiveness that comes from creating a OC but, from what I understand, writing a double ff (i.e. a fanfic of a fanfic) could be considered flattering in that the "original" fanfic writer is elevated to the status of the great creators (the people who inspire us to write fanfictions).... Unless the double ff is being written because the double fan felt that the original fanfiction didn't do the job and decided they would rewrite it the "right" way... which is just callous.

Legally/ ethically speaking, in the case of a "stolen" OC, it may just be coincidental or, perhaps, a mistake- that is, "similar" characters that have names derived from their similar descriptions thereby endowing both characters with the same name. As for stolen plots, well, there are only so many plots and plot twists out there- overlapping and repetition is bound to occur a lot. Although, of course, there are legitimate cases of plagiarism that are obviously wrong.

In the end, I only intended to gather opinions on this topic, testing the waters as it were, since I couldn't really see objections to it but I knew that there is an argument for and against everything.

It's a nice dream and I figure, one day, the right book/movie/etc. will crop up that will replace the double fan's double ff inspiration in their eyes and the point will be moot anyway.

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.