Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Need Scary Japanese Movie Recs
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Need Scary Japanese Movie Recs
elley
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Need Scary Japanese Movie Recs 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 1
Just like the subject says and I'm trying to stick to a paranormal/ghost theme. I'm trying to have a movie night tomorrow, but with no movies, it's not going to happen. I've tried to search but I guess I'm not any good at it. So I'm wondering if anyone has some suggestions. The Ring and the Grudge are what we want to avoid since it's so obvious.

I don't watch scary movies often. I think the last time was years ago (although I'll watch like, Ghost Lab and A Haunting on Discovery Channel). My brother wants to watch something we saw on the AZN channel a few years ago, but I can't find that either. It was a movie that consisted of short japanese ghost stories and the settings were all modern.

So I'll take any suggestions. ^_^ My search just gives me rather gruesome, suspense horror, but not paranormal types.

Thanks!

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Phoenix
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Need Scary Japanese Movie Recs 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 2
I have a few here ... Ju-On (Orginial Grudge) 1&2, Ju-Rei, and Kokkuri if you where looking for Japanese titles. But I warn you if you find them.. they are serious on the mind bending side

Logged Logged
sesshys_jaded_samuri
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Need Scary Japanese Movie Recs 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 32
Uzumaki and Hair Extension are two that come to mind for me.

Logged Logged
AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Need Scary Japanese Movie Recs 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 23
Reincarnation. It's my favorite horror movie.

Logged Logged
Noacat
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Need Scary Japanese Movie Recs 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 14
Well, it's not Japanese, but it's effing scary. It's a Spanish movie called Rec. Remade badly by an American movie studio. You can find it on Netflix pretty easy. It's well worth your time.

Ju-on the original Japanese version of the crappy American The Grudge. It's fantastic. Waaaaay better than the remake.

Bio-zombie. Also not Japanese, it's Chinese, but it's scary funny. It's like Dawn of the Dead and Shaun of the Dead had a Chinese baby.

Jian Gui (The Eye) The original Hong Kong version. Again, NOT the crappy American remake. Falls apart a little at the end, but well worth watching.

The Orphanage. Again, not Japanese. Spanish. But very scary.

My last recommendation you HAVE to see. It's more of a thriller at times than pure horror, but it's sooooooo good. Haute Tension (High Tension). It's a French film, but it's so well done and so scary.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/10/31 10:48 By Noacat.
Inu Guardian
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Need Scary Japanese Movie Recs 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 10
Not really horror, but action anime, "Twilight of the Dark Master" or "Shihaisha no Tasogare" is pretty good. "Versus" is very awesome. That one's not very scary, but it does have the dead coming back to life. "Lady Death" is pretty good. Gory and demons, but I don't think that's Japanese. "Death Trance" is very good. It's got the same actor from "Versus".

Those are just a few that would be good to watch when in a Halloween-y mood.

Logged Logged
elley
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Need Scary Japanese Movie Recs 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 1
Thanks for the recs. LOL. American remakes of anything foreign never seems to compare.

Logged Logged
Bleuborzoi
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Need Scary Japanese Movie Recs 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 1
While I haven't seen it yet, a friend of mine highly recommended Uzumaki.

Logged Logged
MissTeak
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Need Scary Japanese Movie Recs 14 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 18
I found this thread randomly, and being a horror movie fan, I have a couple to recommend!

Asian horror flicks are the best. (and it is not because I'm Asian) You might want to try this particular one called "Shutter" (the Thai version) and also "Phobia" (also a Thai movie). Thais make the BEST horror movie IMO...

Logged Logged
Tarawriter
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Need Scary Japanese Movie Recs 14 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 1
Hmm, I loved the film Reincarnation; it doesn't go where you're expecting it to head, which is a nice bonus if you're like me and loathe predictable endings. My all-time favorite horror flick, hands down, is still Audition, but if you haven't seen it, I'm going to warn in advance that it starts a bit slowly, and the themes of the film are absolutely for the mature audience. It's not a ghost story, but it is one of those movies that stays with you long after the credits roll. A Tale of Two Sisters is another one I love, and it is a ghost story. The film comes out of Korea, and there is some really beautiful imagery in it.

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.