Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Author's Unite!
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Author's Unite!
ToWriteLoveOnAPage
Whelp
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Author's Unite! 15 Years ago Karma: 15
Haha, that's hilarious! What is it about 3am that just makes you want to write? It doesn't make a lot of sense seeing as your barely lucid, which is how things like~

"They walked in an uneasy silence for the reminder of the day. Uneasy meaning that Kagome was twitching from lack of conversation, and Sesshoumaru was unaffected. Which, now that Kagome thought about it, was a fairly accurate portrayal of their respective characters: Witchy and Unaffected. Like some horribly animated cartoon show of a squirrel and a particularly aloof cat."

~that happen. Reminder instead of remainder, and witchy instead of twitchy. Lol, writing is funny when you're only semi-conscious.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/05/03 12:35 By ToWriteLoveOnAPage.

“It is impolite to stare, miko,” he said, his smile gone, bringing Kagome back down to earth.

Oh, hello earth, how are you? She addressed the planet in a daze. Just got back from whatever parallel universe I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'d fallen into, did you know Sesshoumaru smiles there? Weird.

~Of Gods and Demons
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
MiserablySweet
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Author's Unite! 15 Years ago Karma: 13
yeps I agree with that Lady Sianna.

and Page, if you read one of my stories... you'll find TONS of mistakes.

millions actually.

i remember this one time i used

"Out of impulse to shut her up, he gripped each side of her VOICE and smashed his lips against hers."

instead of using face, i used voice. lol isn't that stupid?

That's what you get for writing 4 thousand words at 3 am in the morning.

My "betas" disappeared from the face of the earth and I can't find them at all. I asked several people to beta my stories and yet no one replied... so i'm writing it without the help of betas.

And I never felt the need to go back and fix it, I mean sure that's stupid and lazy but hey i feel it's only natural to show mistakes when writing sometimes.

text from chp 7 of Beneath it all.

Logged Logged
Mistress Sianna
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Author's Unite! 15 Years ago Karma: 26
ToWriteLoveOnAPage wrote:
Yay, thanks for the advice, I know I read my fics over and over and somehow I still manage to post a chapter that uses "whole" instead of "hole", which is just me being an idiot, lol.

That's not being an idiot, that's being human! A single pair of eyes reading over something again and again are still likely to miss something. Those are the kinds of things a beta could help eliminate.

Another thing I forgot to mention is, don't base the quality of your work on reviews. I have attempted to read stories where there were all kinds of mistakes, and (in my opinion as I am a very picky reader) poor characterization, and unrealistic situations, that were given lots of really good reviews.

I have also read really great stories with hardly any reviews. Reviews are a nice sorce of encouragement, but they do NOT determine the quality of the story or the author.

Logged Logged

Pfft! I was gonna stop procrastinating, but I never got around to it.
ToWriteLoveOnAPage
Whelp
graphgraph
Teensie-Sama wrote:
Eeeekkk!!! dyslexics of the world UNTIE!!!!

Haha.

Logged Logged

“It is impolite to stare, miko,” he said, his smile gone, bringing Kagome back down to earth.

Oh, hello earth, how are you? She addressed the planet in a daze. Just got back from whatever parallel universe I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'d fallen into, did you know Sesshoumaru smiles there? Weird.

~Of Gods and Demons
Teensie-Sama
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Author's Unite! 15 Years ago Karma: 0
Eeeekkk!!! dyslexics of the world UNTIE!!!!

Logged Logged
MiserablySweet
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
well it's up to you, but the bold and italics and underline features works just fine for me.

then again i use Windows XP Pro...

depends what your system is operating on..

Logged Logged
ToWriteLoveOnAPage
Whelp
graphgraph
Haha, Page works, and thanks for the advice! I have a FF.net account, but I think the document thing is frustrating because it doesn't always save font attributes like bold and italics, at least I have that problem a lot, maybe it's just me lol. But I can see how some people would like it, to each his own, right?

Plus, pages is pretty good, in some ways it's a lot easier than word and in some ways it's really annoying, but that's how most technology is anyway lol.

Logged Logged

~Of Gods and Demons
MiserablySweet
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
thank you knifethrower, i'm flattered ^_^

I do try really really hard to write my stories. You should see me locked in my room... i would rewrite the same paragraph several times before i'm satisfied with it.

--

ToWriteLoveOnAPage, may I just call you Page?

Have you heard of Fanfiction.net? Of course you have, everyone knows that site. Well you can upload a document of any type, it can even be several starting words, go back to documents and manager, edit the uploaded file and type your story in it.

That's what I do with all my stories ^_^ it's easier for me since i work and have internet access, so I just go back in and add/edit whenever i have free time instead of at home.

But i do warn you, you MUST save every several minutes.... they sometimes have technical log in problems that can occur while you type. Since you don't refresh a page while typing, you wouldn't know! Copy all the text, and then save. Why the copy? because if it does go into technical log problems, you always can open up word or even notepad and paste your content and save so you wouldn't lose the work!

it happened to me a lot of times, i remember once I never saved and wrote around 2k words for as a courtesan, try to save and POOF it went bye bye.

and it even has a spell check, sometimes not very accurate but it works! it's almost like Microsoft Word, almost...

but that's what i do anyway, i do a lot of things differently ^_^

sorry for long post... O_O i'm a chatterbox... really...

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/05/03 11:24 By MiserablySweet.
thirteenxwishes
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Author's Unite! 15 Years ago Karma: 4
I've not been here for all that long - two months, or something? Not entirely sure. x.x

But I've been writing for a while in another fandom as well as trying to find my feet over here. However, from what I've learned from fanfic in general, a beta reader is usually a very good idea. Failing that, editing yourself is a must. (Not that I'm one to talk, as I don't have a beta and tend to be too eager in posting chapters and inevitably end up reading back and seeing many glaring spelling/grammar mistakes. ^.~)

I think the most important thing is to have fun. That's the point, right?

Logged Logged
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Author's Unite! 15 Years ago Karma: 78
You are an awesome writer, MiserablySweet.

Logged Logged
ToWriteLoveOnAPage
Whelp
graphgraph
MiserablySweet wrote:
lol

you can always add the words "Sesshoumaru" or "Kagome" or whatever to the dictionary.

So that way the names won't turn up misspell every time you type them!

Haha, I tried that, but the problem is I have a mac and use "Pages" instead of Microsoft word. And Pages is apparently an evil word processor and won't let you add words to its dictionary. At least not that I have been able to figure out lol.

Logged Logged

~Of Gods and Demons
MiserablySweet
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
lol

you can always add the words "Sesshoumaru" or "Kagome" or whatever to the dictionary.

So that way the names won't turn up misspell every time you type them!

Logged Logged
ToWriteLoveOnAPage
Whelp
graphgraph
MiserablySweet wrote:
oh and resmiranda was my favorite author for Sessh and Kags ^_^
it's a shame that i don't really remember how to spell her name now...

Resmiranda's stories are amazing, I love them to death! HoTM made me cry so hard!

And yeah, I might get a beta, I'm pretty good at finding my mistakes eventually, but every once in awhile one slips by. Usually it's just random things like the whole vs. hole thing. Surprisingly I never seem to misspell Sesshoumaru, which I thought was really weird seeing as his name is mega long and strange. Not to mention the fact that it always gets marked with that red underline in WORD because it isn't in the dictionary lol.

Logged Logged

~Of Gods and Demons
Sessylove219
*Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Author's Unite! 15 Years ago Karma: 33
I have been on here less than a year, and read so many stories, I have to re-read some of them when there are updates. I get confused as to what is happening in what story. It is pretty pathetic. That is what happens when you are not working and are pretty much confined to your bed. Oh well...life goes on.

I get caught up in stuff too, and sometimes have a hard time with updating, but having an outline really helps. I guess my best advice is to keep at it! Don't get discouraged! There are lots of people that love to read your stories, and even if readers don't come early, that does not mean that they will not come at all!

Good luck!

Logged Logged

Sessylove219 claimed Sesshoumaru\'s fundoushi in the Claim game! Hands off!
MiserablySweet
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
really?

i haven't read a single fanfic in several long months.

I've read short stories... like one shots.

But lengthy stories... nope.

I have no time for it at all.

My inspiration comes from my imagination of course, but with the help of daily activities.

Every day life is something amazing... really ^_^

--
oh and resmiranda was my favorite author for Sessh and Kags ^_^
it's a shame that i don't really remember how to spell her name now...

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/05/03 10:24 By MiserablySweet.
InuYoukaiLiz
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Author's Unite! 15 Years ago Karma: 9
MiserablySweet wrote:
I've been here for 5 months...

and i still feel like a freshie >_<
probably because i don't post much on forums or talk to any other dokugians during my time here.

====

i don't consider myself an "experienced" writer at all...

Actually once I think about it, in my honest opinion so don't kill me,

an experienced writer should be able to write countless of paragraphs describing one particular scene without repeating any nonsense, or counter to it, a paragraph so short and sweet the image will show up in the reader's mind.

I have yet to master anything like that... But StrikinFalcon is close to perfect ^_^

You know I share the same sentiments with regards to not talking to other Dokugians and for not being an experienced writer. But I try to make friends with others and I've been active in the forums because that's the only place I can really hold a conversation of sorts with other members. As far as writing goes I get inspiration from my noodle and from reading lots of fanfics.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/05/03 10:06 By InuYoukaiLiz.

PROUD Inupapa fangirl

"I wish for a heart. A heart of the man whom I'll never allow to forget me." (to Kagome) - Kikyo

"Go Naraku, gather the shards of the jewel, and once you found them all , then I will send you to hell." - Kikyo

I support Kikyo...got a problem with that?
MiserablySweet
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
I've been here for 5 months...

and i still feel like a freshie >_<
probably because i don't post much on forums or talk to any other dokugians during my time here.

====

i don't consider myself an "experienced" writer at all...

Actually once I think about it, in my honest opinion so don't kill me,

an experienced writer should be able to write countless of paragraphs describing one particular scene without repeating any nonsense, or counter to it, a paragraph so short and sweet the image will show up in the reader's mind.

I have yet to master anything like that... But StrikinFalcon is close to perfect ^_^

Logged Logged
InuYoukaiLiz
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
ladybattousai wrote:
Yay, thanks for the advice, I know I read my fics over and over and somehow I still manage to post a chapter that uses "whole" instead of "hole", which is just me being an idiot, lol.

Sounds like you should try getting a beta. They help to catch those sort of mistakes and help out with perspective.

And you're not an idiot, so no thinking that way. We all make mistakes I know I do...

Yeah what Lady B said...I make typos all the time it seems.

Logged Logged

PROUD Inupapa fangirl

"I wish for a heart. A heart of the man whom I'll never allow to forget me." (to Kagome) - Kikyo

"Go Naraku, gather the shards of the jewel, and once you found them all , then I will send you to hell." - Kikyo

ladybattousai
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:Author's Unite! 15 Years ago Karma: -666

Sounds like you should try getting a beta. They help to catch those sort of mistakes and help out with perspective.

And you're not an idiot, so no thinking that way. We all make mistakes I know I do...

Logged Logged

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
ToWriteLoveOnAPage
Whelp
graphgraph

Again, thanks!

Logged Logged

~Of Gods and Demons
Mistress Sianna
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Author's Unite! 15 Years ago Karma: 26
Hi! I don't really consider myself a newbie anymore as I have been posting to this site almost since it opened, and I have been writing for over a year.

I will simply offer advice to those who are just starting out. The following tips are just things I have picked up from the time I started up until now.

1) Take the time to plan your stories out ahead of time. Try not to start posting untill you have created a reasonably detailed outline. This way you can work out any plotholes, and you are more likely to finish the story because of the direction the outline offers.

2) Read other people's stuff. Not just fanfiction but books. This will help you with word uses and using more creative words to describe scenery and such. Make use of your thesaurus to avoid boring and repetitive word use.

3) Edit, edit, edit!! I read over my chapters SEVERAL times before posting them. You want to make sure that they would make sense to someone who has never seen it before, and that it flows not only with itself, but the chapter before it.

These are just a few things I have learned. I hope they help! And by all means, don't feel obligated to read my stuffs. I just wanted to offer a bit of advice.

Logged Logged

Pfft! I was gonna stop procrastinating, but I never got around to it.
InuYoukaiLiz
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
You shouldn't have a prob unstanding them because I made sure to edit the mistakes but there's porbably some that I missed. In any case you you need some clarification on the plot of one of my stories just send me a message

Logged Logged

PROUD Inupapa fangirl

InuYoukaiLiz
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Well we already have something like this in another forum but uhhh I've been a member for 3 months and still have that "freshman feeling" you speak of I've got 7 stories but I had to discontinue other stories because I lost interest in continuing them and because I just has too many stories to update

Logged Logged

PROUD Inupapa fangirl

ToWriteLoveOnAPage
Whelp
graphgraph
Lol, I've only been here for like 3 days and I only have one story, but three months isn't that long. I'll probably still feel like a freshie by then too. Well, I'm off to read one of your stories!

Logged Logged

~Of Gods and Demons
ToWriteLoveOnAPage
Whelp
graphgraph
Author's Unite! 15 Years ago Karma: 15
Hey...any newbies like me out there? Since we're basically like the freshmen of of this website, we should all band together and help get word out about our stories!

So, basically, if you're a new author and you post on this page, I will read your story and leave a review! And everyone else who posts on here, I think you guys should read each other's stories and review too. Just to make the whole prospect of being a newbie less daunting.

If you're an old author, then spread the love and your great, great, senior author wisdom.

Logged Logged

~Of Gods and Demons
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.