Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
What do you expect from a beta?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: What do you expect from a beta?
Danyealle-sama
Supporter
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
What do you expect from a beta? 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 91
Most who write have a beta but each beta does things differently. I learned that my style was different from everyone elses so i'm curious...

The question is what do you expect from yours? Do you tell them up front what you want? Or do you just assume they know? Is there anything special you want beyond just fixing spelling or telling you if something doesn't read right?

For beta's; what do you do for the stories you work with? Just fix mistakes? Highlight them and make them fix it? Just work with spelling? Give advice?

Logged Logged

Fun fact: All writers are crazy, to some degree. There is a reason for it -- actually making it through a novel almost requires it. If you love to read, then you\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'re continually benefitting from other people\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s craziness.-From Cracked
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:What do you expect from a beta? 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 54
With my betas normally it's just spelling/grammar corrections. Though sometimes I need a little bit more on a chapter or one-shot and ask them in the email for it. Like once I thought my descriptions might be a bit too flowery and asked my beta about it and sent just the scene I was talking about.

I try to make sure I ask them for what I want when I want something past the basic betaing.

Logged Logged

I claimed Tenseiga`s resurrection power!
LC Rose
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:What do you expect from a beta? 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 39
When I beta, if I find a mistake or something I feel that needs to be corrected or worded differently, I make a notation by the place, leaving it up to the author to choose because it is there work. Everyone is different, though, so I ask up front what they'd like when they ask me to beta for them. I'm also notorious for leaving wild comments in bold when there's something that really tickles my fancy. Ask Teensie and rOo.

Logged Logged

~PPFT!~

Muses...cannot live with them, cannot kill them.
Nobody
Pup
graphgraph
Re:What do you expect from a beta? 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
My beta, well i expect her to corect gramar, spelling and punctuation. But she also goes through the content. To make sure it flows and makes sense with previous chapters. SHe also lets me know if something is going in the wrong direction or if im going away from my plot. She keeps me on track gives me feedback and fixes my terrible spelling. All in all i love her!

Logged Logged
Sessylove219
*Supporter
graphgraph
Re:What do you expect from a beta? 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 33
I would like to be a beta as I am fairly good at editing, seeing as how I did it in my real life job. Can anyone tell me how exactly it is done?

Thanks!

Logged Logged

Sessylove219 claimed Sesshoumaru\'s fundoushi in the Claim game! Hands off!
Mistress Sianna
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:What do you expect from a beta? 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 26
I no longer utilize betas, but when I did, I usually expect and request spelling, grammar, and punctuation correction. On FFN, members' profiles indicate whether or not they are avaiable to beta. In addition, they also have seperate profiles to name their strengths and weaknesses, what type of stories they will and will not beta for, and what they expect from the author. I think this is a good idea, and that perhaps we should have something like that here.

Just a sidenote: Woot! three hundred forum posts!!! IDK why I felt the need to mention that.

Logged Logged

Pfft! I was gonna stop procrastinating, but I never got around to it.
elley
Pup
graphgraph
Re:What do you expect from a beta? 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 1
Well, on the rare instances that I do beta, I check the technical stuff first. I always correct and make comments in fuchsia in the same place that needs improvement. I do this so that the author can find where suggested corrections are. I also try to explain why it has to be this or that.

For things like the tone or flow or other subjective details, I would either include them at the end. If the issue is with only a paragraph or something like that, I would just make a mini paragraph with my observations or critique right under the paragraph in question. This will also be written in fuchsia.

Basically, I try to make it as easy as possible for the author to locate the corrections I made and what I'm commenting on. Personally, I like to look at my corrected work and learn from it so I try to make it possible for authors to the same. However, trying to do this on Word is more challenging than just actually writing on a hard copy version.

Logged Logged
LuxKen27
Pup
graphgraph
Re:What do you expect from a beta? 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 5
Danyealle wrote:
For beta's; what do you do for the stories you work with? Just fix mistakes? Highlight them and make them fix it? Just work with spelling? Give advice?

I beta very rarely, and only for people I already know - so that takes care of any sorts of personality differences/writing differences right off the bat. No need to get uppity and upset over the tiny things, yes?

I usually just correct spelling/punctuation/vocabulary, and offer some stylistic suggestions. I change & highlight in Word, and bold & highlight any comments or suggestions I make, inserting them into the narrative. Thus, my 'corrected' versions look like complete messes even if I did very little correcting, LOL.

I don't offer plot or characterization points unless specifically asked because I know that can be a sensitive matter, and I don't generally know where the fic is going beyond the chapter/piece that's sent to me. The authors I work with have their reasons for doing things and I trust them to be able to develop a good plot and keep their characters on track...unless something just really jumps out at me.

Logged Logged
Akumi
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:What do you expect from a beta? 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 6
Hm. I guess I expect quite a bit, which I do know is unfair.

I really enjoy the betas who will read my story, check for the spelling, and grammar mistakes, and also make sure it flows well. I also like to bounce ideas off of my betas when I'm lacking in creativity. I like the honest feedback, no holding back. If there is something that makes no sense or is no way related to the story, I want to know about it. If something just plain stinks, I want to know. haha

Although, even with that feedback, and I do take it honestly, I may not follow it. It's just very nice to have someone give you an honest answer and pick at the parts of your story that no one else does.

Sounds like a little much to me...maybe that's why all my betas run away....>.>;

-love Akumi

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Dreams are the true reality in which nature can not decay.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
Nefret
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:What do you expect from a beta? 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 12
The only thing I absolutely require in a beta is a willingness to call me out if it's crap. I'd rather have brutal honesty in the editing phase than post something sub-par because my beta was too nice to say anything.

Logged Logged
thirteenxwishes
Pup
graphgraph
Re:What do you expect from a beta? 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 4
Whenever I beta for anyone, I tend to look mainly at the spelling, punctuation, grammar side of it. Although, if I know the person I'm beta'ing for, I lean more towards plot and characterisation. It's definitely better to be honest about it, at least from my experience. ^.~

If I'm looking for a beta, I tend to go for the same things, but if I'm worried about anything specific I usually mention it when I send the piece.

Pretty much the same as everyone else, from the sound of things. ;D

Logged Logged
DestinysTears
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:What do you expect from a beta? 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 11
Nefret: The only thing I absolutely require in a beta is a willingness to call me out if it's crap. I'd rather have brutal honesty in the editing phase than post something sub-par because my beta was too nice to say anything.

Definately. No pain no game, right?

Grammer, punctuation, spelling, etc. and confusing or awkward parts. Sometimes I will get a little careless, so I'm forever grateful when the beta points it out.

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.