Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Kagome as a mom?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Kagome as a mom?
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Kagome as a mom? 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 78
I don't think Shippou called Kagome mom in the manga, though I could have missed such a little detail, and for sure not in the anime. I just think it's the logical course of their relationship. And that it's cute. But then half the people I know, inc. my husband and still-close ex-boyfriends, call me mommy, so probably I'm out there on that.

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
DestinysTears
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Kagome as a mom? 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 11
Well (I could be wrong), I don't believe the anime mentions anything about a mother-son relationship, although it does show a sort of protective bond between them.

I can't really say much about the manga, since I have only read from the chapter the anime left off from.

I'm sorry, that probably wasn't much help!

Logged Logged
LC Rose
Supporter
graphgraph
Kagome as a mom? 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 39
I've read in several fics (and I have NO problem with this idea) where Kagome thinks of Shippou as her kit/son and vice versa. Let me repeat I have NO PROBLEM WITH THIS, but I'm wondering if, at any point in the manga, if this actually happened or if it is just fanfic stuff.

I admit to knowing the anime a lot better than the manga as I only just discovered that and I'm curious and too lazy to scroll through the entire thing looking.

Logged Logged

~PPFT!~

Muses...cannot live with them, cannot kill them.
MiserablySweet
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Kagome as a mom? 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 13
I think it's an assumption.

My memory is cloudy right now about the Manga, but i think somewhere in there, shippou has mentioned wanting Kagome as a mother.

Or, OR!

Possibly that my assumption that Shippou wants Kagome as a mother is so deeply embedded in my head that i think it's true, or that it's happened.

Honestly, I'm not too sure myself. I just think everyone, okay okay, many authors and fan based groups out there assumes Kagome wants to be Ship's mother because she's always protecting him from Inuyasha's beatings.. O_O

Then again, don't take my word for it O_O

Logged Logged
Shikondrop
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Kagome as a mom? 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 3
I know she takes him in her little bike basket all the time and calls him Shippou-chan, but I don't recall him ever calling her mama. Maybe she views him as a younger sibling, like souta?

Logged Logged
Sora-chan
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Kagome as a mom? 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 20
Thats something to think about. Maybe we should try googling it and see what happens?

Logged Logged

*piku piku*- the sound of blinking
LC Rose
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Kagome as a mom? 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 39
Snowdrop wrote:
I know she takes him in her little bike basket all the time and calls him Shippou-chan, but I don't recall him ever calling her mama. Maybe she views him as a younger sibling, like souta?

-chan means young child or young friend, right?

Logged Logged

~PPFT!~

emmaren
*Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Kagome as a mom? 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 10
I asked Sirinya about suffixes and she suppled me with a weath of information. For
-chan this is what she said:

"Chan - it is informal version of san used for children and females mostly. Can also be used by very close friends, lovers, family, people whom you've known since childhood. Since parents will used chan and kun through out a child's life... it becomes a nickname. Chan can be used for a male (depending). Males wont use Chan with another male unless its a very young child. If Males do use Chan for another male, it denotes a very close relationship like long time friends.

Chan is also used as petnames. By attaching Chan you a shorten version of a name it means even closer relationship then using the full name."

As far as whether the manga considers Kagome's and Shippo's relation mother and son, I have no idea. However my impression is that it seems to be much more of a strong brother-sister relationship.

But that is just my conclusion.

have a great day

emmaren

Logged Logged
Sora-chan
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Kagome as a mom? 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 20
LC Rose wrote:
Snowdrop wrote:

-chan means young child or young friend, right?

yeah, I think thats the general meaning.

Logged Logged

*piku piku*- the sound of blinking
LC Rose
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Kagome as a mom? 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 39
Thanks so much, Em!

Logged Logged

~PPFT!~

Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Kagome as a mom? 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 54
I don't recall ever seeing the terms mother or son ever used in manga or anime, however, at least for me, and going by the anime mostly, when you do a story that takes place some time after the end of the anime it makes sense for that type of relationship between them. The reason why is simple, it's maternal instincts.

As someone who's been around children that age, the age he appears to be and acts like, trust me when I say that when you are around them for a long period of time, they become like your children. And I think that's what most people, who do the mother/son relationship, go by.

And let's look at the facts: She protects him, not only from Inuyasha but from demons as well. She provides for and feeds him. Easy to see that she loves him, whether sisterly or motherly love. Takes care of him, carries him around and sees to his needs.

While this can be seen easily enough as a sister/brother bond, it rings more as a mother/son to me. While I think it has more to do with personal preference than anything else, it's easy to see how people, myself included, come to the mother conclusion.

Edit: But to answer your original question, it's just fanfiction stuff.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/02/06 15:39 By Hairann.

I claimed Tenseiga`s resurrection power!
Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Kagome as a mom? 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 54
Weird it posted it twice for some reason lol.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/02/06 15:58 By Hairann.

I claimed Tenseiga`s resurrection power!
Tally Mark
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Kagome as a mom? 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 18
I always felt she saw him as like a little brother. Especially since she has a little brother, and undoubtedly helped her mother care for him and played with him when he was younger...taking on Shippo would be almost an extension of that. I just never really saw anything maternal in the way she relates to him, nor did he seem to view her as a mother. They never defined it either way in the manga. I think actually in some translations, early on Shippo seemed to have a crush on Kagome, but that went away and then the nature of their bond was never defined.

Like so many things (some of which I really wish she *had* cleared up!), Takahashi leaves it up to us.

Logged Logged
jaimesesshy
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Kagome as a mom? 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 7
I don't think that it is ever specifically mentioned in the manga, but I know for sure that Shippo doesn't call Kagome "mama." At least not in volumes 1-36. That's as far as I've read. I think that it is something that is just assumed due to the fact that Kagome is very protective of Shippo.

Logged Logged

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. For when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.
not-active
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Kagome as a mom? 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 16
I've never seen this outside the fanfiction realm, and I agree with everyone that says it's like her and Souta.
Doesn't Shippou use everyone as a shield from Inuyasha? I believe I've seen him hide behind Miroku and Sango at times. Dunno.
I don't see anything that implies that Kagome adopts Shippo or even anything close.

Logged Logged
Nefret
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Kagome as a mom? 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 12
I'm pretty sure it's fanon. And I agree with what most of you are saying -- that she views him more as a younger brother than as a son (though, at fifteen, she would, wouldn't she? I know if I were taking care of a kid at fifteen, I'd feel more 'older sister' than 'mother' ).

I find it far too easy to forget how young Kagome was. It really puts her accomplishments in perspective, no?

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/02/06 20:58 By Nefret.
Inu Guardian
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Kagome as a mom? 15 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 10
I just started reading the manga a short time ago, and have yet to see anything that suggests Kagome looking on Shippou as a son. It's the same in the anime. I have to agree that it is a fanon. You can tell that their relationship is big sister/little brother. I look at it as my relationship with my youngest brother. I'm 24, he's 12.

But, and I can only say this for the anime, as I've seen MOST of the episodes they've released on TV, that we don't know how the relationship could evolve in the future. I stress the fact that I have NOT read very far into the manga just yet. The final episode they aired on [adult swim] is obviously not the final story through the manga.

Anyways, I'm getting way off track. I LOVE how author's will deepen their relationship into a mother/son bonding, and even going further to say that they can somehow blood-bond. I'm not saying it's realistic, but I love it.

I think, to end my near-senseless babbling, that it's in the opinion of the author, the relationship they wish to convey. I, myself, have one story where Shippou does indeed look to Kagome as his adopted mother, and two others (alternate universe of crourse) where they are merely friends.

Logged Logged
InuYoukaiLiz
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Kagome as a mom? 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 9
Eh I don't know.....it's anyone's guess really

Logged Logged

PROUD Inupapa fangirl

"I wish for a heart. A heart of the man whom I'll never allow to forget me." (to Kagome) - Kikyo

"Go Naraku, gather the shards of the jewel, and once you found them all , then I will send you to hell." - Kikyo

I support Kikyo...got a problem with that?
Saholia
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Kagome as a mom? 15 Years ago Karma: 31
I think it depends with each individual fic I read. In some of them, the narration is so good that it makes perfect sense for Kagome to see Shippou almost son-like. I, personally, thought that their relationship felt more of Kagome protecting shippou like a sister would a younger brother. But it does depend how a story is played out.

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.