Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
One Arm or Two
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: One Arm or Two
AmberDawn
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
One Arm or Two 15 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 0
Simply a discussion of the pros and cons: Should Sesshomaru have one arm or two?

Pro of having both arms: He can then hold Kagome with both arms.

Pro of having one arm: Not having his arm kind of makes him seem more independent

Con of having both arms: There was a reason he lost his arm in the original story (though I can’t figure out what that is) and he never got it back there, did he?

Con of having one arm: His actions and responces are limmited to his mobility.

So.
Let us know your thoughts and views.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/01/15 22:39 By Kiaya.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Tataru
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:One Arm or Two 15 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 5
He does get his arm back by the end of the manga, but not the anime.

His having one arm is great for showing how he overcomes any obstacle, and for frustration purposes it 'humanizes' him a bit by making him not so perfect.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/01/22 02:30 By Tataru.

I claimed Sesshoumaru\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Haughty Humph in the Claim Game
Flame of Eden
Pup
graphgraph
Re:One Arm or Two 15 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 1
I agree, there is something to be said for him having one arm. The way I see it, if he can't hold Kagome in both arms, he can just toss her over his shoulder

I think the reason Rumiko wanted him to lose an arm was to feel humility. In order for him to grow and mature as a character, he needed to overcome hardship with a handicap. The proof of this growth is his formation of Bakusaiga.

Logged Logged

\"Bound to him by some divine force or careless mistake, he would risk no hurt to the creature at his side. She was a part of his blood now - a bond that ran much deeper than the mark of the moon on her face.\"
-- To Coexist (Immerse yourself in the epic tale)
landofthekwt
Pup
graphgraph
Re:One Arm or Two 15 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 8
In the manga Totosai told Sesshoumaru that Tessaiga took his arm for trying to take something which was not intended for him. When he gave up his desire for his father's sword and fought on his own as daiyoukai he was rewarded by getting his arm back and Bakusaiga. Wonderful that swords can grow out of your body.

Logged Logged
possessed
Pup
graphgraph
Re:One Arm or Two 15 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 0
Personally, I like him with both arms.

The removal of a character's left arm seems to be a recurring theme in manga. I see it as a warning shot... If you don't behave, your other arm (sword arm) will be removed as well!

Then you are doomed to becoming the Black Knight from Monty Python's Holy Grail...

Logged Logged
Aurora Antheia Raine
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:One Arm or Two 15 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 24
possessed wrote:
Then you are doomed to becoming the Black Knight from Monty Python's Holy Grail...

LOL! That made me laugh. xD I didn't like Monty Python and was forced to watch it, but I remember that.

Anyway, when writing AU stories, I always like Sesshoumaru with two arms. In CU stories, however, I think it's only right for Sesshoumaru to have one arm. I have seen so many stories where Kagome regrows Sesshoumaru's arm and it gets old after a while. >.>;; If he's to regain his arm, I'd prefer it to be done a lot more creatively.

Logged Logged

Nefret
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:One Arm or Two 15 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 12
Aurora Antheia Raine wrote:
I didn't like Monty Python and was forced to watch it, but I remember that.

Gasp! Blasphemy.

I think writing him with one arm can actually be a fun challenge. It's surprising how many things require two hands, and trying to write a one-handed character can be good exercise for your brain.

That said... it's just not as sexy.

Logged Logged
AmberDawn
Pup
graphgraph
I think I like it best when Sesshomaru regains his arm through the course of the story. I just read one story called Atonement, that story was creative in how he regained his arm. And it could still move when Kagome found it. I loved it. Realy creative and slightly funny.

Logged Logged
Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:One Arm or Two 15 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 54
I kinda screwed up in my first IY story, the path we walk, by having Kagome give him back his arm, though it was slightly funny since she did it as more of a punishment, it caused pain, then anything else. But did much better in I am Alpha by having him getting it back through another demon which caused some problems for him.

And really it depends on the story I guess. In some of my stories he starts out with one, in others two. Not 100% but I think for mine if it's canon he starts with one, or at least mentions how he got the other back, AU he always has two.

Logged Logged

I claimed Tenseiga`s resurrection power!
Nobody
Pup
graphgraph
LMAO? Is it that bad to use a cliche? I totally had kagome heal him in my fic too. I figured its better to have that bonding moment then to pass it up. I figure two arms is better, because then you dont have to write with the idea in mind that he only has one arm all of the time.

I have read so many fics where hes only got one arm but then he "wraps his arms around her"

Logged Logged
Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
I wouldn't say bad, but me personally, I won't read a story that's too cliché. Don't see the point when I already know what's going to happen hehe.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/01/22 02:10 By Hairann.

Nobody
Pup
graphgraph
LOL well then where do i join the cliche club? Because i totally did that! Granted ti was in exchange for something and by some twisted kagome logic she had to do it. But still! Oh well.... you cant win them all i guess!

Logged Logged
Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
hehe no worries no-chan, I did the same thing in my first IY story so I can't hold it against ya too much

Logged Logged

Katie
Pup
graphgraph
Re:One Arm or Two 15 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 5
In one of my first fics I was like trying to decide how to explain why he had two arms... I decided I'd wait it out and see if anyone asked and if not then I was going to avoid it. Then a reviewer asked and like the next day the manga came out where he got it back. I was like sweet. Thanks Rumiko, your the best!

Maybe I am the only one who does this but when I'm doing a one arm fic or reading one I will put one arm behind my back so that I can figure the logistics or if something is even possible.

Logged Logged
Oroyukae
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:One Arm or Two 15 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 20
One arm, two arms.. he's Sesshoumaru and he's sexy no matter what. I feel that if the fic is written in a period after the fall of Naraku and the jewel then it is perfectly acceptable for him to have both arms since in the story he does get another arm when he receives Bakusaiga. And if the fic is A U then , yeah, give him both arms.

Logged Logged
Angel in Disguise
Pup
graphgraph
Re:One Arm or Two 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 1
This topic reminds me of a story I read a long time ago...

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2567904/1/Amputee_Smut

You will see that Sesshomaru clearly had both arms the whole time. rofl

Logged Logged

I\'m on top of the food chain and you- you\'re the food

- Acheron, from Sherrilyn Kenyon\'s Dark-Hunter series.
gracy
Pup
graphgraph
Re:One Arm or Two 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0
I so think he looks hotter with both arms!!! However you are totally right he looks much independent with one. I think that if he is fighting something and protectiong kagome at the same time 2 arms would be better. that way she doesnt die and he doesnt go into rage:) GO SESSHOUMARU WITH TWO ARMS

Logged Logged

THIS IS MS. QUEEN!!!
ladybattousai
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:One Arm or Two 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: -666
I really don't care one way or the other. I do occasionally think that people like to make him have two arms not necessarily for the easier logistics, but that they don't like him being imperfect. It's as if they want to mold him into what they want and not what he is. That I do not like. So, let him have one arm when he's supposed to and let him keep his fluff which is another aspect people like to get rid of. He's not embarrassed or insecure about himself, so no one else should be either.

Logged Logged

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
InuYoukaiLiz
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:One Arm or Two 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 9
You know.... I haven't really thought about it but I prefer Sesshomaru having two arms. But that's just my opinion

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/02/25 21:28 By InuYoukaiLiz.

PROUD Inupapa fangirl

"I wish for a heart. A heart of the man whom I'll never allow to forget me." (to Kagome) - Kikyo

"Go Naraku, gather the shards of the jewel, and once you found them all , then I will send you to hell." - Kikyo

I support Kikyo...got a problem with that?
DestinysTears
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:One Arm or Two 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 11
If it's canon setting, I prefer one arm. (Unless it's after he gains his arm back in the manga)

Why one? Simply because that is how it is. When a story begins him with two, it always causes me to wonder how he gained his arm back, and seems to make the story's foundation a bit weaker. That's how it seems anyways.

Though I do like two arms though if it's AU.

But, there are many versions and variations of Sesshomaru, any of which I will generally accept.

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.