Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Household Question: Hard Water
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Household Question: Hard Water
bookgirl813
Whelp
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Household Question: Hard Water 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 76
We have the worst hard water ever. We've been through 2 dishwashers in just under 10 years and the third is holding out pretty well. I try to use a dishwasher cleaner to keep the inner workings working properly. However, my glasses and some darker dishes retain a layer.

I've tried Finish liquid with the Electrasol tablets (Diamond), and even the Cascade pods with Dawn. Is it the powder that's causing it? I've heard that gel detergents are worse for the dishwasher as well, so I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do.

I'm hoping someone in our wonderful community will have suggestions on how to beat that awful hazy layer of doom.

Thanks!

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
mango
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Household Question: Hard Water 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 72
Having this issue myself I recommend if you're a homeowner to invest in a water softener. We went through the same issues you're having with the dishwasher and also the faucets, shower heads, and washing machine. It made a world of difference! We're going on 12 years having a softener and all of our appliances are running great.

Logged Logged
Kaiyai
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Household Question: Hard Water 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 4
White vinegar is really helpful for that. Most likely the filter in your dishwasher is getting hard water build up. Pour a gallon of white vinegar in the bottom of your dishwasher and let it sit over night, the longer the better. Then run your dishwasher on the highest setting. It should help. I will also put a mug full of vinegar in the top rack, mug facing up, when I run a load. It helps wonders and cleans your dishwasher while it's at it.

Logged Logged
bookgirl813
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Household Question: Hard Water 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 76
Mango: Yeah, well a water softener isn't an option right now. We already had to replace our water pipes a month after putting in new windows and doors. The plumbers suggested it, but we just weren't in the financial position to do so. But it's definitely something to put on our list of improvements.

Kaiyai: Thank you for the vinegar suggestion. I had a feeling that would do the trick - I just didn't know how to use it.

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.