Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re: Getting permission!
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Re: Getting permission!
Moonlight Silk
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re: Getting permission! 9 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 37
I am not certain how this works but I am sure that other Dokuga writers can fill me in. I am writing a new fic and I want so badly to use a concept in my story that was created by another author, the problem is this, I cannot remember the writers name so that I could ask her permission to use it. And I am not certain if the author is still an active member or not. Is there any other way that I could still use it without offending her if she should ever happen up on my story one day.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2014/08/17 14:46 By moonlight silk.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re: Getting permission! 9 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 277
I would strongly suggest that you try to locate the story (maybe by posting under "Searching for a Fic") to get the author's name and attempt to contact them. I know that it might take some time to do so, but it will ultimately be well worth the effort to avoid ANY possible unpleasantness!!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

Moonlight Silk
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Thanks, I will start my search right away, and if i am unsuccessful I will definately not use it. I really don't want any unpleasantness in the future.

Logged Logged
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re: Getting permission! 9 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 156
I'd say it depends on what do you mean by a concept?

I mean... There are themes and plot points and fandom clichés that can be widely used by everyone. They're not really owned by anyone and as such are free for grabs.

For example there are countless AUs with Sesshoumaru as a CEO in them, many of which also feature Kagome as his employee.
There are several canon fics in which Kagome and Sesshoumaru are magically bound to one another (personally guilty of that one).
There is the biting mark or mating mark, or Sesshoumaru's fluff being his tail and Kagome's remarkable tendency to give birth to full demon babies.
There are countless concepts like these that are being used throughout the fandom.

I would personally say it would be difficult to lay claim on a concept, because really, if you think about it, it's probably already been done by someone (although not the way YOU want to do it, which is the beauty of writing!).

But if you want to be safe, then of course it's best to ask the author in question, but if you can't remember who that was, maybe you could include an A/N at the start of your fic saying you remember the concept being used in a story and apologize you can't remember which one? Giving them credit that way whoever they are? I'd imagine them to be less offended that way if they chance upon your story.

That's my two cents, in any case. ^^;

Edit: (Or then never mind me if I completely misunderstood what "concept" referred to here... I'm just gonna go now. *fades back to the background*)

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2014/08/17 14:50 By Chie. Reason: addition
Moonlight Silk
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
The reason I am of the opinion that it is an original concept, and not like the ones that you mentioned. (Chie) I could be wrong of couse, but because I cannot ever recall reading it anyplace else but in that story, I sought help. The concept I am talking about is that hanyous are sterile, because although they look human enough they are the bi-product of two different species and so they are born barren/sterile. Case in point a donkey and a horse mates, they have what is called a mule which as we know is infertile.

Logged Logged
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Well crap. I was going to use that. Or a variation of that. I didn't even think of needing a permission for it, though, since it's pretty much biology... And because I hadn't seen it used before in a fic.

...Should I delete the whole scene from my upcoming chapter?

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2014/08/17 15:28 By Chie.
Moonlight Silk
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Yeah! It's simple Biology as you say and I knew that all along, but sadly when I read that story I wasn't writing fanfiction, and now I want to use it so much. It makes a world of sense in the plot of my fic that I get excited thinking about it. A friend of mine called me up after seeing this thread and told me the name of the author and I emailed her. She hasn't been online for six months so I am hopeful that she will respond.

I am not sure if you should delete whatever you have written already, as for me it is an intention of mine to include that idea into my story. Whether it is Biology or not if someone else thought of it first and had written about it, I suppose it could cause some amount of awkwardness and unpleasantness. At least that is how I am reasoning out the issues. I wish someone could clarify all the questions and assumptions surrounding this.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2014/08/18 11:45 By moonlight silk.
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
I never read it before in a fanfiction, so for me it was just "Oh, hey, that would be a perfect explanation as to why Inuyasha and Kagome didn't have any children!"

But now I'm just at a loss of what to do... A stubborn part of me is still kinda going "You can't lay a claim on biology" but then again I'm contemplating deleting the whole scene from the chapter. Meh.

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Actually, if I'd known that it was a biological question like this, I wouldn't have said anything about contacting the author... I mean, I've seen this before in at least two other fics, so I don't think anyone has a corner on it for originality.

For Dokuga, at least, this comes under the heading of stuff that anyone can make use of. Hope that helps, ladies!!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

Moonlight Silk
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Great. I had to make sure that all my bases were covered whether it was an issue of originality or Biology. Thanks Wiccan!

Logged Logged
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Whew, that helps a LOT! Thanks Wiccan!

I did have an alternative explanation up my sleeve for lack of children , but I preferred this one... I swear, writing this chapter has been more difficult than it should be as is, so I didn't wish for extra complications!

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Glad I could help you both!!!!!!

~~me~~

Logged Logged

KEdakumi
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re: Getting permission! 9 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 56
My question is along the same lines. If I write a story about Kagome and Sesshoumaru being tied together or trapped together to get them to fall in love or mate (though my details would be different) is that under the idea of 'better ask before using'?

Logged Logged

WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
KEdakumi wrote:
My question is along the same lines. If I write a story about Kagome and Sesshoumaru being tied together or trapped together to get them to fall in love or mate (though my details would be different) is that under the idea of 'better ask before using'?

Nope, there have been any number of stories tying/chaining/trapping, or otherwise forcing Sess & Kags together for any number of reasons - including to get them to fall for each other. This comes under the heading of "shared cliche," methinks! Go for it!!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

KEdakumi
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re: Getting permission! 9 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 56
Thank you, dear!

Logged Logged

landofthekwt
Pup
graphgraph
Re: Getting permission! 9 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 8
The theme of hanyous not being able to have children was the main theme of the IK classic The Lucky Ones by terri botta.www.mediaminer.org/fanfic/view_st.php/54993 Rated X
No YIMS which is still the top read IY story on Mediaminer. In that story IK adopt hanyous
over the centuries because of IY's sterility. Kagome becomes a fertility doctor in response. The story ends with Kagome having the first baby from a coupling with a hanyou.

Section 102(b) of the Copyright Act states “In no case does copyright protection for an original work of authorship extend to any idea, procedure, process, system, method of operation, concept, principle or discovery …”

Courts will only find copyright infringement where there is “an extensive taking of the entire structure and topical sequence” or there are “articulable similarities between the plot, themes, dialogue, mood, setting, pace, characters and sequence of events.”
"Protecting Your Ideas" by Howard G. Zaharoff
www.mbbp.com/resources/iptech/protecting_ideas.html

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
KEdakumi wrote:
Thank you, dear!

You are most welcome!!

~~me~~

Logged Logged

WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Thank you, landofthekwt, for codifying what I'd long suspected and used in practice when determining plagiarism here on this site!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

landofthekwt
Pup
graphgraph
Re: Getting permission! 9 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 8
You are welcome

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.