Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Am I about to commit Plagiarism?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Am I about to commit Plagiarism?
kaoruhana
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Am I about to commit Plagiarism? 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 109
Okay, first- if the general consensus is that I am about to plagiarize, then I will immediately rework my un-published story before posting. Also, if I posted in the wrong forum section, I apologize.

The story I'm talking about is not for this fandom but because I might do it again one day for a story in this fandom I'm going to go ahead and ask.

There's a character in one of my new stories who is technically my own and not my own. In this particular fandom (Rurouni Kenshin), one of the characters (Tokio Takagi) is a real life figure. An author for a story in this fandom took the old real name of Tokio (Sada) and used it to create a younger sister for Tokio. (Tokio was an alias used by Sada in the new era).

I loved that idea and when I was stuck trying to come up with characters for my new story, decided to name Tokio's younger sister Sada as well. Problem is, I'm now thinking that I stole from another author and I'm extremely hesitant about posting the story now.

My Sada is different from the Sada in that story but the idea for my Sada came from that Sada. Does that mean that I took the character and made it my own or that I stole a character and pretended to make it my own?

If I am about to commit plagiarism I want to rewrite the story right now. If I didn't, I plan on mentioning in the author's note for this story that I did get the idea from another author.

Any advice or help would be helpful.

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Sarasama1
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Am I about to commit Plagiarism? 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 10
Why don't you write to that author and ask her for permission to use her character? Tell her what you are aiming for and what you want to do and ask her for permission to use her character. When you post your story, mention in a disclaimer that your character is based on hers in her story and that you have permission to use it. That way you have all your bases covered.

Logged Logged
kaoruhana
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Am I about to commit Plagiarism? 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 109
I'm trying that and am waiting for a reply. If I don't get a reply, I'm just trying to figure out a secondary option.

Logged Logged
Sarasama1
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Am I about to commit Plagiarism? 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 10
I'm not an expert on plagiarism, but you may need to rewrite.

Logged Logged
BelovedStranger
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:Am I about to commit Plagiarism? 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 60
Many have a misconception of what plagiarism truly is and get all defensive and scream bloody murder for no real reason at all. Your OC character Sada has a VERY different personality for one, so how can it be the same character if you have characterized them differently and given them completely different personalities? Also, even though you got your character's inspiration from another author's OC character, that doesn't mean you plagiarized, but found inspiration to create your own OC. It is NOT plagiarizing, it is called getting inspiration from other work(s) because I again say that since you mentioned the two characters are vastly different in personality, it is not stealing another's idea. However, the only thing I suggest you to change about your OC is her name. I do not view it as plagiarizing cause names are not monogamous, many people share the same exact name in real life. I know you got your inspiration from another author's character, but the two are different, and not the same person. However, since you have created this forum and openly shared your fears of plagiarizing, some fools may jump the gun and think you are stealing, so I suggest you merely change your OC's name.

Before you think me spouting my own views, I am not. I have done extensive studies while in college. English has always been a favorite of mine, so I know all about the subject plagiarism. You are not plagiarizing, I assure you, but just in case, change the name. I could go on and on concerning this subject, but I believe I have said enough.

I hope what I have said helped you and will stop anyone who dares scream at you for something you have not done, which is plagiarize.

Logged Logged

~BelovedStranger~
kaoruhana
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Am I about to commit Plagiarism? 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 109
Thank you for your advice. I did decide to change the name. I just wanted to use Sada because I didn't feel like disrespecting a dead person (even though they were used in fiction).

Thanks for the advice!

Logged Logged
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Am I about to commit Plagiarism? 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 57
kaoruhana wrote:
Thank you for your advice. I did decide to change the name. I just wanted to use Sada because I didn't feel like disrespecting a dead person (even though they were used in fiction).

Thanks for the advice!

Yeah I agree with B's advice too. You could really only have changed your character's name to stop your readers from being confused, and or comparing your charrie to the one by the other author. It would have been inevitable otherwise I think if the same readers were to read your story and the other one. They would have made comparisons between the two.

Saying that I have heard of published authors that sort of have borrowed the same plotlines as other authors too. I mean peeps have said that Chris Paolini's dragonrider stories are like Starwars in medieval times with dragons instead of spaceships, and dragonriders instead of Jedi. It's kinda weird. Original, but weird.

May the Force be with you!

~ Pyre

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2014/06/30 20:40 By Pyre.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.