Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Plagiarized Story
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom Favoured: 3
TOPIC: Plagiarized Story
Serena530
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Plagiarized Story 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 171
She got banned so the link wouldn't work. I just checked a few minutes ago. I had to find it in my browser history since it seemed to disappear from the thread. Now we're keeping an eye out for a new account.

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
MissKatt
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Plagiarized Story 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 32
It was Tink Amor, now it's Aamoraa

Logged Logged
BittersweetLady
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Plagiarized Story 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
oh thanks. i hate when people take credit for other's works. its irritating. i will keep my eye out for this person and her so called stories.

Logged Logged
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Plagiarized Story 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 57
Just checked 'her' profile page on FFNet. She got banned again.

Plagiarist's FFNet Page - Not Found

~ Pyre

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2014/06/19 04:06 By Pyre.
Wunderberry
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Plagiarized Story 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 17
She definitely doesn't sound like the type to give up, so definitely be on the lookout for more of her.

Still, unhappy notes aside, I'm glad it got taken down. Phew.

Logged Logged

None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
WunderBerry wrote:
She definitely doesn't sound like the type to give up, so definitely be on the lookout for more of her.

Still, unhappy notes aside, I'm glad it got taken down. Phew.

Ya I know right?

*sighs*

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
KEdakumi
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Plagiarized Story 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 56
Looks like the new account was banned, but she will probably make another new one. Gotta admit... the threads between here and ff.net have made for some interesting reading

Logged Logged

WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Plagiarized Story 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 277
A HUGE Dokuga THANK YOU to Rogue for all her help over on ff.net!!! She was right on top of this as soon as she got online last night and followed it all the way through over there. Thank goodness we have her around!

According to Rogue, it is possible that ff.net could have IP banned her, in which case she will not be able to create another account there from her current IP address. That's what I'm hoping we can do here but, until that time, I am still regularly monitoring her IP on our site.

Let's face it, I detest plagiarism. I detest lying plagiarists more. I detest lying, delusional, antagonistic plagiarists even more than that. Based on the rambling, accusatory, disjointed PM I got from her yesterday, this one is definitely a lying, delusional, antagonistic plagiarist. DO NOT WANT.

If any of you receive a PM from anyone that sounds like her, please alert me via PM as soon as possible. As I've noted in other threads, I'm working a lot and can't monitor the site 24/7, so it's possible that she could create another account here without me finding it right away. Any further account creation, though, now that she's been warned, WILL result in a complaint to her ISP.

Thank you, all of you, for all your assistance with this... I dunno... pest? I love how our community pulls together to fight stuff like this; HOORAY DOKUGA!!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

Aiko-san
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Plagiarized Story 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 5
So, Wiccan-
Is she still visiting this site regularly?

Seems like this account was banned quicker than the last. Thank goodness.

Logged Logged

\"There\'s a time and place for everything, and I believe it is called fan fiction.\"
- Joss Whedon
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Aiko-san wrote:
So, Wiccan-
Is she still visiting this site regularly?

Seems like this account was banned quicker than the last. Thank goodness.

Last check, 101 visits... but no new accounts yet, thank goodness. I'm pretty busy today and don't really have time to deal with lodging an ISP complaint, LOL!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

Aiko-san
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Plagiarized Story 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 5
Wow...
haha, well she isn't really priority if she isn't doing anything, yet. So, I don't blame you.

Doubt she will make another account if she is following this thread. You will know right away if she makes an account. I bet she will lurk.

Thanks again Rogue and Wiccan for keeping on the up and up with this crazy girl. Let me tell you, I did not think that with one simple post in a forum, that it would lead to this. Definitely an interesting journey. lol

Logged Logged

\"There\'s a time and place for everything, and I believe it is called fan fiction.\"
- Joss Whedon
Fye
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Plagiarized Story 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 24
If only people would just learn that using sentences/paragraph/descriptions they DO NOT WRITE is still plagiarism and not just copying a whole story..... *sigh*

On another note, hello Guest, I can see you

Logged Logged
KEdakumi
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Plagiarized Story 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 56
Fye wrote:

*snirk* I had to laugh at that

Logged Logged

Serena530
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Plagiarized Story 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 171
KEdakumi wrote:
Fye wrote:

*snirk* I had to laugh at that

Same here. Hmm...I guess we're all keeping an eye on the Guest.

Logged Logged
CritterWhisperer
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Plagiarized Story 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 47
Fye wrote:
If only people would just learn that using sentences/paragraph/descriptions they DO NOT WRITE is still plagiarism and not just copying a whole story..... *sigh*

Yes, and it doesn't matter if you acknowledge that the copied material is not yours and maybe even give credit to the original author. If you don't have the original author's permission to use it, it's still plagiarism.

And in the case with this game, since that is supposedly where she got the material, she is likely breaking Terms of Service rules, in regards to redistributing the content of a licensed product and/or putting it on public display, from whichever site she downloaded the app. Not to mention, she is also infringing on Voltage Inc.'s copyright.

Our Guest would do well to process this information, although I doubt she will, because if she continues down this path, it's likely going to lead to much worse legal issues for her if big corporations like Google or iTunes start taking notice.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2014/06/19 20:46 By CritterWhisperer.

I tagged . . . err, claimed Sesshoumaru's cute, elfin ears in the Dokuga Claiming Game
Avalei
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Plagiarized Story 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 54
Some of the guests were me. I cleared my browsing history and forgot to sign back in. I'm just wondering how old this person was because in my high school and collage they got real strict about plagiarism in all its shapes and sizes.
Edit: Just read back and saw she's 14. When she gets into said schools (if she goes past high school especially) she is in for a big surprise when all those F's for plagiarism show up.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2014/06/19 22:12 By Avalei.
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Avalei wrote:
Some of the guests were me. I cleared my browsing history and forgot to sign back in.

And you're not the only legitimate member who's been a "guest" on this thread. Yes, the subject of this thread may still be trolling it as well, but we shouldn't make too many assumptions without full facts.

I can look to see whose IP address is accessing the site at any given time, but I can't say for sure who is looking at which thread on the forum. In view of that, maybe we should let this die down for now. If she DOES re-surface, believe me, I'm sure someone will let us all know the particulars!

Again, thank you ALL for your vigilance and assistance with this problem!

~~Wiccan~~

PS - The plagiarist is not, as far as we know, 14... that was the kid who wrote the "story" that Fye found that we believed was plagiarized. Our plagiarist staunchly insists that she's in college.

Logged Logged

FantomuAiShi
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Plagiarized Story 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 9
All college students, and high school, should be well aware that they would get in trouble if they plagiarized. Which kind of made me think the thief is younger than she said she is, or maybe, she wasn't attending college and forgot that lesson...

The lows some people would go for attentions...

PS. Pardon my grammar fails. English technically is not my first language.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2014/06/19 22:45 By FantomuAiShi. Reason: grammar
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
FantomuAiShi wrote:
All college students, and high school, should be well aware that they would get in trouble if they plagiarized. Which kind of made me think the thief is younger than she said she is, or maybe, she wasn't attending college and forgot that lesson...

I don't know about highschool but College a.k.a Universities have a zero-tolerance policy on Plagiarism. Heck, the lecturers search online archives if they find something 'odd' about your assignments. They can spot copied work a mile away. If they find you've plagiarised on anything without giving due credit you'll at best get a warning for not citing in your references, and at worst you'll be expelled for claiming work that's not your own as your own.

If you get the worst-case scenario, well, you won't be completing your studies.

I know of a dozen people at my college that were expelled for plagiarising.

It went down on their academic record too.

Ouch.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
CritterWhisperer
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Plagiarized Story 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 47
FantomuAiShi wrote:

Yes, all high school and college students should be aware of what plagiarism is and the consequences of being caught plagiarizing. But that doesn't necessarily stop some people from doing it, especially in situations like this. I'm guessing that the frame of mind is, "It's just fanfiction. It's not like I'm writing a school paper." Some people just have no respect for others' intellectual property and the work that goes into creating, well, anything.

Logged Logged

I tagged . . . err, claimed Sesshoumaru's cute, elfin ears in the Dokuga Claiming Game
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Plagiarized Story 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 156
I was one of the guests too, when I was browsing Dokuga on my phone.

In my uni, we just employed this software that checks your papers for plagiarism, comparing them for various texts on the internet, etc. I was the first person in my subject to get their thesis checked out by this software.

Logged Logged
FantomuAiShi
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Plagiarized Story 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 9
Yup, yup, all of that are very true.

Which led me to think that this thief is either sheltered or did not attend college long enough to understand the consequences of plagiarizing. Of course there is always that selfish sense of arrogance of getting away with everything simply because it is 'fanfiction'.

Regardless, all of these showed a lot of that person's characters. Some life lessons come later for some people, I guess.

Logged Logged
Silly-Leaf
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Plagiarized Story 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
Not that I post very much so no one likely remembers me…

Plagiarism in and of itself is not an illegal act, it is very hard to take legal action against a plagiarist. Plagiarism in the educational and journalistic mediums is considered a moral or ethical issue. A plagiarist is not honest and thus their research or reporting cannot be trusted. The legitimacy of all their work, even that which they claim is original is placed under scrutiny. This is why many industries reliant on honesty, as well as academic institutions have a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism. If plagiarism is not dealt with when found then the trust of viewers, readers, and other users of the medium is lost. This extends to the producers of original content. If producers of legitimate original content fear that their creative property may be misappropriated by plagiarists then the original content creators may cease to publicize their works. Plagiarism thereby is detrimental to the free flowing atmosphere of ideas and free speech.

As to the current situation, it might be prudent to point out to the accused individual that their use of language against their accusers could be construed as slander or defamation. As ff.net and Dokuga are on US servers as far as I recall, then any statements the accused posts in a public location (an author’s profile, blog, a PM - that under TOS rules could be read by site staff-, or within a story) that could unfairly harm the reputation of a public entity (RE: a website or business) or an individual could in theory be used to file a legal proceeding for defamation or slander under US jurisdiction rules even if the accused does not reside in the US.

As has been stated in a previous post by another dokugian, if an individual is being personally harassed by the accused, they can and should file a report with local authorities.

I have a BA in Journalism and Contemporary Studies, and I have worked two years as an English teacher in South Korea. I cannot abide the willful act of plagiarism. Though I may not participate on Dokuga due to being rather busy in real life, I can’t tolerate any individual who would unlawfully claim the creative property of another individual as their own.

As far as the evidence I’ve seen, the accused legal threat (Re: filing a police report) is unsubstantiated. It is a ploy to instill fear. In other words it is another form or harassment directed at the collective of individuals whom have reported her TOS infringing actions.

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.