Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
do you recognize this as a scam?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: do you recognize this as a scam?
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
do you recognize this as a scam? 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 78
Something unusual happened to my boss today at work. An unknown stranger came in our shop and asked if she would send out a package UPS for him. Now, nothing about our business would indicate that we are a UPS store, or would be the type of business that would send out packages for others, and my boss told him that we don't do that. He said that's ok, would you just ship it out for him, as a favor? Of course, she said no. So we tried several different Google searches, trying to figure out if this is a way drug dealers ship out drugs, or if it was some other kind of scam. You see, it didn't make any kind of sense, there are post offices, UPS stores, and even a full-scale UPS center within minutes of our location. If he could drive to our business, he could drive to any of those places, just as easily. Have any of you heard of a scam like this? I'm sooo curious. You know, I can't stand not knowing!

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:do you recognize this as a scam? 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 277
Now, please DO NOT take offense to this... it is meant in a truly appreciative fashion, 'k?

My first thought upon seeing the subject on this thread was, "That's got to be knifethrower!"

I run a business that has a misleading name. Despite the fact that we're "Astral Products," we don't actually produce anything. We do powder coating and sandblasting. So we get all kinds of calls from vendors offering to help us with our shipping solutions or stuff like that. I've NEVER, in all my days, heard of someone just wandering in off the street to a business - that ISN'T obviously a shipping business - and asking a total stranger to ship something for them.

I'd be just as suspicious and reluctant to go along with that as your boss, frankly.

~~me~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:do you recognize this as a scam? 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 78
Seems just wrong, doesn't it? The only thing I could think of, was maybe he wanted to ship something illegal, and if it got detected, it would not come back to him or any address associated with him. It would not be the first time something came up that neither my boss nor I had heard of, we're definitely not up on the things that people get up to in the 21st century. That's why I love to ask so many questions! Plus, I love to talk to my fellow Dokugans, what a friendly and knowledgable group of folks!

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:do you recognize this as a scam? 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 277
And you ask the BEST questions, knifethrower!!

Srsly, some of the most interesting questions come from you and touch off some of the most enlightening discussions... I'm so glad you're here with us!!!!

~~me~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
You know with all the trouble that has come with the internet, I would never want to go back to those pre-internet days! We can communicate with people all over the world, who share common interests, we can research practically anything that occurs to us on a moment's notice, and can even order out-of-print, hard-to-find books and old movies through Amazon or antiques and unique items through e-Bay. I used to think the phrase "the information age" was total balogna, like "paperless office". But, truly, for people with enquiring minds, it is a revolution! And, I've gotta admit, I was kind of hoping a bunch of people would discuss some of the scams that are going down, I've brushed up against a couple just in the last month...

Logged Logged
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:do you recognize this as a scam? 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 57
Nope, but I would be instantly suspicious of something like this. My answer would be an automatic 'No'. I'm glad your boss was honest but also quick. The asking her to send that package as 'a favour' sets off alarm bells. I'm glad she said 'No' too.

Keep an ear out though. This guy might have tried this on other businesses too. It could be a scam. I'm actually surprised that he didn't ask your boss where the UPS place was... if he wanted to send something out.

Odd.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
I think maybe I should change from "knifethrower" to "Pandora"! Pandora was the curious one, right? I sure would like to know what was in that box...

Logged Logged
BelovedStranger
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:do you recognize this as a scam? 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 60
I am a suspicious person by nature and that would instantly send up a red flag. To me, that SOUNDS like something shady, like the man was trying to hide/get away with something.

Logged Logged

~BelovedStranger~
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.